Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

help me figure this one out guys

I listed a PSA 7 Otto graham RC on ebay back in December. On 12/3 i get contacted by a zero feedback bidder who makes an offer to buy offline. He leaves his phone number, so I call. I talk with him for about 15 minutes about Bowman football etc etc. seemed knowledgeable..named dropped the right people.. We work out a price and he tells me to paypal invoice him the amount...so I do. He doesn't pay. I resend invoice after a week..still no reply. A few weeks later another zero feedback bidder with different ID uses buy it now and wins the card. I check the info, and yep same guy. Well he never pays...so I file a non pay with ebayer...and he was no longer a registered user. When the auction ended with no sale..I held off from listing again. I get an email from him asking if it was still available.....doesn't send money. Then I get an email from him a few weeks later saying sorry I ran into money problems...is it still available, I want to buy now,sorry for miscommunication . I say yes..and he says that he still had paypal invoice and would send money. He doesn't. Then I get 1 feedback ebayer who offers to buy the card a few days ago...you guessed it, the info was the same guy. I ignore. Well tonight another zero bidder offers to buy...its him.....so whats his scam?

Here are the different emails and ids and phone # used
smile4me2009
joe 510-691-9587
bayareahomes@aol.com
g35drivver@live.com
perry1983
Jose
tijerojose@aol.com
sprint1950
510-691-2261
3135 moyers road richmond ca 94806
tijerojose@aol.com
Raidernation50
jraidernation305@aol.com

Any ideas here guys? Guy has to be VERY bored if he is just messing around..or very dumb...or a scammer...or all 3!

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very very strange Big Daddy ... my instinct says to stay away. What the hell is his deal?

EDITED TO ADD:As you probably already know, both those phone numbers are cell phones located in Hercules-Rodeo, CA.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what kind of volume you do on ebay, but....

I've heard there are people that will bid and win auctions, and not pay, just to see if the person who listed the item will accidentally send them the item. That would be my only guess.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

BBL all of the IDs.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    i regret selling an item and sending w/o delivery confirmation after someone flaked the first time they won, needless to say they did a chargback for never receiving it.... very bizarre, ESPECIALLY since he knew the set, I'd be holding onto it, also ask him what his deal is? Is there someone else who has one for sale competing against yours and this could be some elaborate way to get rid of the competition?
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    You may have pissed someone off. Maybe someone with alot of feedback. We here about some of the big boys who have multiple accounts and have phantoms bid only on their auctions. Have you had a recent issue with any sellers? They may be getting back at you or something. Anyway. stay away from this guy.
  • fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very very strange Big Daddy ... my instinct says to stay away. What the hell is his deal?

EDITED TO ADD:As you probably already know, both those phone numbers are cell phones located in Hercules-Rodeo, CA. >>

Big Daddy/Dbone - I don't see a problem with the phone number per se as Hercules and Rodeo are cities located very close to that part of Richmond. His behavior on the other hand is very suspicious. In addition, I am very familiar with that area - it is a pretty rough crime ridden area so I would be very wary of dealing with this individual.
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the input guys.. obviously I am staying away from this guy. No I have not had any ebay disputes with any buyers and sellers...ever. This has been going on for over 2 months so the guy has to be really bored!

maybe he is hoping that I would send the card before payment...but after 3-4 times of me not sending the card befre ..I can't see it being that.

hmm????.....

• << <i>i regret selling an item and sending w/o delivery confirmation after someone flaked the first time they won, needless to say they did a chargback for never receiving it.... very bizarre, ESPECIALLY since he knew the set, I'd be holding onto it, also ask him what his deal is? Is there someone else who has one for sale competing against yours and this could be some elaborate way to get rid of the competition? >>

There is one up for sale now in a straight auction. I bookmarked it because I thought if it was megacheap I might try to get it. If there is a scam, instead of just being a person who is very disorganized, then I think it likely would have to do with someone trying to maximize the sale of their similar card. That makes the most sense to me. Get yours off the market so that person has the only one and therefore perceived scarcity. But not accusing that person of anything. Don't know them. Just saying it's what makes most sense if you're looking for a motive. Look for the person who benefits.
  • My bad. I thought you were talking about a 51. But it still could be the case.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBL and make the new listing with immediate payment required. He'll get the message.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a real nut job.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the input guys.. obviously I am staying away from this guy. No I have not had any ebay disputes with any buyers and sellers...ever. This has been going on for over 2 months so the guy has to be really bored!

maybe he is hoping that I would send the card before payment...but after 3-4 times of me not sending the card befre ..I can't see it being that.

hmm????..... >>

Ryan, I completely forgot about this. I remember you mentioning this to me back in December or November maybe, sorry to hear this is still going on.

The only thing I would reccomend - and do myself- is to forget this guy and never deal with him again. Im talking ignore any type of contact- and block anyone with 0 feedback pertaining to this card from now on.

Hang in there, the card is a popular HOF RC so you will sell it soon. I would BIN it on Ebay with a Best Offer option, and make it so 0 Feedback type bidders cant bid on it.
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    So I send the idiot a response the other day saying "go away please.. do not contact me again."

I get his response today...

from sprint1950
    "I just want to buy the card, I dont want any disrespect,"

what a mental midget! If you want to buy the card...then pay for it!

• << <i> I would BIN it on Ebay with a Best Offer option, and make it so 0 Feedback type bidders cant bid on it. >>

I also block low feedback bidders, they just aren't worth the trouble.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Tell him to paypal gift you the money and give him a big discount and never email him back. That'll show him image
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss