Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS PhotoGrade - Almost all series up!

PCGS PhotoGrade now has Seated and Bust coins image
Thank you PCGS for adding these, it should be a great tool for collectors

But, is my nature, I must critique what I'm looking at:

1) I cannot tell the difference between grades VG-08, VG-10, F-12 on the "Capped Bust Dime Small (1828-1837)" section.
To me, each coin would grade pretty much exactly the same.

2) We need Half-Cents, Half-Dimes and Twenty Cent image

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ??????????

no accompanying diagnostics???

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • While it is no doubt an awesome benefit and extremely well-done, I too have difficulty in discerning the difference between certain grades in certain series. For example, in the Barber Dime series there appears to be no difference between AU-55 and AU-58 . In fact, I cannot detect any wear on the AU-55...image

Heck, maybe it's me or I'm splitting hairs. Could be the bright photographic lighting, though.

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • As a grading novice I still feel more comfortable using the ANA or PCGS grading guide books as checklists of what I'm looking at and for over comparing to the photos they've provided. I like it as concept, but after holding a couple dozen coins in front of me and the photograde I was torn 2 to 3 grades off. As a blackberry user I did have some gadget-envy that it's an iphone app as well.
  • Has the iphone app updated? It still looks pretty basic to me - not much there. Maybe I didn't update it or something.
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    The new release of Photograde was sent to Apple earlier this week. Once it's approved by them it will be available. Hopefully in a day or two.

We are working on adding a brief diagnostic to each photo.

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While it is no doubt an awesome benefit and extremely well-done, I too have difficulty in discerning the difference between certain grades in certain series. For example, in the Barber Dime series there appears to be no difference between AU-55 and AU-58 . In fact, I cannot detect any wear on the AU-55...image

Heck, maybe it's me or I'm splitting hairs. Could be the bright photographic lighting, though.

image >>

I see a difference. The luster looks more subdued on the 55, and the high part of the cheek has some wear. The fields also have some circulation wear. The 58 seems to have a little less wear on the cheek and the luster looks more natural, especially on the reverse.

-Paul

• << <i>We are working on adding a brief diagnostic to each photo. >>

image word! Thanks for that update! The better I can get, the less disappointed I'll be = happier submitter. That's win-win enough for me.

• << <i>We are working on adding a brief diagnostic to each photo. >>

Thank you in advance for adding your diagnostics to this tool, the descriptions should prove to be as useful as the photos!

• Thats pretty cool, I never knew it was even out there.

And there is an app for Iphone........nice

I have to hand it to ya PCGS, this is very well done

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS PhotoGrade now has Seated and Bust coins image
    Thank you PCGS for adding these, it should be a great tool for collectors

But, is my nature, I must critique what I'm looking at:

1) I cannot tell the difference between grades VG-08, VG-10, F-12 on the "Capped Bust Dime Small (1828-1837)" section.
    To me, each coin would grade pretty much exactly the same.

2) We need Half-Cents, Half-Dimes and Twenty Cent image >>

The 20c stuff is up...it's listed in the quarters.....
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An old thread but...

The seated quarters should to be split between no motto and with motto varieties. Certain dates/mintmarks have distinct wear patterns than can effect the look/grade compared to other years; like the obverse of an 1850-o, or 1855-o. Also, the 1852-o has a distinct collar issue and reverse die damage on later minted examples. Lastly, while all examples appear to be of the same coin for obverse and reverse within grade, there is an exception; the 1869-o!

Am I being too picky here?
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file