Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1826/2 Shilling question Back from ANACS

I have an 1826 shilling. Looks like it may be the 1826/2 variety, but I can find no information on it. There looks like a point sticking out on the bottom left of the 6. Any help would be welcome. I would also appericate any info on value.
Thanks
John

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I can't give you todays market value on the 6/2 but I seem to remember a premium a few years ago of 20-30% for that overdate.

The scarcer Roman numeral 1 in the date was about a 300% premium.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The 1826/2 is only listed as extremely rare and unpriced in both SCWC and Spink. Best to get it certified, then off to the Heritage Long Beach World Sale or similar. I suspect a genuine 6/2 would make a couple of thousand $ in VF-EF, although that is only a guess since I have not seen one for sale in recent times.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Gut feeling is that the above is an 1826/2 because the bottom left protrusion matches my example. There is a smaller lump sticking out at the bottom right and you should be able to see the right hand side of the 2 between the 6 loop and top arm. It isn't an obvious variety. Pricewise it is difficult to say because so few examples come to market at auction, but a four figure sum for a better than EF example is reasonable. Mint state is probably worth £2K.

The Roman 1 is one of life's great overstated rarities. ESC gave it as R7 rarity which implies 1 or 2 known, but I know of about 8 of these 1 or 2 and there will be many more. David Craddock, a UK dealer had a mint state example listed at £2300 about 5 years ago, but quite a few examples have come to light since then, so about £2K is probably a fair price again.

My 1826/2 is attached showing the detail. The bottom right lump is not so clear as the toning is uniform and it is weaker in any case.
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Finally got this back from ANACS. Took over 3 months. It is the 6/2 and they graded it vf-30 details scratched. Still haven't been able to find any pricing for this. Any ideas where I should be looking would be helpful.
    Thanks
    John