Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do dealers come up with their price codes?

I thought it would be kind of cool to make one. Are they usually an alphabetic code with a numeric reference? I want one that's easy to remember without being too easy to figure out. Any suggestions?
What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns

Comments

• Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pathfinder

methodical
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    For those of you who remember building Heathkits back in the day, they could use the resistor color code -- black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, gray, white.

There's a great mnemonic for remembering this, by the way!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    Mine is incredibly simple, and there is a reason for that.image
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    10 letter word...just make sure they're different letters image

Or you can use an 11 letter word or phrase with one repeating letter to represent zero to make it a little harder to decipher.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options

<< <i>All you need is a 10 letter word! >>

Now that's logical!!! image

Thanks

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Charleston!

All you need is a 10 letter word! >>

...with no duplicate letters!

So you could use:
    c=1, h=2... so for a cost of $250 your code would be HLN.
    or c=0, h=1...
    or do it backwards.
    or add extra letters which have no meaning in the code to confuse people. Take HLN above and add meaningless letters to get to HDPLBNX.

Many, many variations.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured that if I mixed in Latin, Hebrew, and Greek characters, it would get complicated to crack. Judging by my asking a few people whom I know would understand the reasoning behind some of the code (whether or not they knew of it is a different story), I'm going to keep with my thoughts that it's hard to crack.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>I figured that if I mixed in Latin, Hebrew, and Greek characters, it would get complicated to crack. Judging by my asking a few people whom I know would understand the reasoning behind some of the code (whether or not they knew of it is a different story), I'm going to keep with my thoughts that it's hard to crack. >>

I was going to use Hebrew and Greek characters.....image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First initial and last name: blindstrom

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    One dealer I know uses Latin .....

Another that does not know that I cracked his code ..... BRICKOVENS
    [ no, he is not bright enough to read this board ]

Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can use a ten letter word AND assign numbers to mix it up a bit if you really want to keep it difficult for others to decipher:

1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    F I S H M O N G E R
    2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

So you could express the cost of $295 as either 1SRO or 2IEM

or mix it up even more and throw in nonsense letters that you just disregard, e.g. 1XSRO or 2ZIEM
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭

dontbelazy
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or you dealers can just keep it all written down on a pad of paper and keep your darn stickers off of my slabs!!!!! image

• Options

<< <i>I figured that if I mixed in Latin, Hebrew, and Greek characters, it would get complicated to crack. Judging by my asking a few people whom I know would understand the reasoning behind some of the code (whether or not they knew of it is a different story), I'm going to keep with my thoughts that it's hard to crack. >>

Man, I guess so!! image

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    I hope no one is giving away any secrets here. image

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    Or 2 words - "BLACK RHINO".

I used to mark my coins that I purchased with how much I paid this way. If it was less than $100, I would add in another letter that wasn't in the code just to make it 3 letters.

$47 = CMH
    $347 = ACH

I thought it was kinda fun to do this, but eventually didn't really see the need if I wasn't a dealer.
    I just like codes breaking/making.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or 2 words - "BLACK RHINO".

I used to mark my coins that I purchased with how much I paid this way. If it was less than $100, I would add in another letter that wasn't in the code just to make it 3 letters.

$47 = CMH
    $347 = ACH

I thought it was kinda fun to do this, but eventually didn't really see the need if I wasn't a dealer.
    I just like codes breaking/making. >>

I would venture a guess that a lot of non-dealers use codes to keep actual prices paid a mystery to their wives image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would fool everyone, I'd use numbers that stand for a word that everyone would would be searching the internet to figure out! image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one I learned as a boy:

C-O-I-N-W-E-R-L-D = 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 with "X" representing 0
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    The goal is to use a code so complicated that you yourself cannot figure it out.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cracked one dealer's code---BRICK MASON.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The goal is to use a code so complicated that you yourself cannot figure it out. >>

I especially like the ones that use Greek letters. I am sure that they have no idea what they paid for the coins.

If you buy enough coins from a dealer, especially over a broad price range, you can often crack the code. Of course, if you are that good a customer, they will often tell you what they paid, but that's no fun!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The goal is to use a code so complicated that you yourself cannot figure it out. >>

I especially like the ones that use Greek letters. I am sure that they have no idea what they paid for the coins.

If you buy enough coins from a dealer, especially over a broad price range, you can often crack the code. Of course, if you are that good a customer, they will often tell you what they paid, but that's no fun! >>

I used to write my planned bids in the catalog in Japanese, which I would then decipher immediately after the lot in question was hammered down to someone else for 20% less than my max.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I especially like the ones that use Greek letters. I am sure that they have no idea what they paid for the coins. >>

There's a nearby dealer who uses Greek letters, and he's from Greece. I'm sure he knows! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    As others have suggested, I have used a 10-letter word that I first learned nearly 40 years ago when we marked the cost of our drugs (in the DRUGSTORE !!) on each container entering the inventory of the store. It's a system I could not forget even if I wanted to do so.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

You could get you a bombe like the one at the National Cryptologic Museum, but moving this about the bourse might be a problem.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Charleston!

Not original enough. I know of three separate dealers who use that code.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-Nimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and a different word for each power of ten

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you buy enough coins from a dealer, especially over a broad price range, you can often crack the code. Of course, if you are that good a customer, they will often tell you what they paid, but that's no fun! >>

if you have the 10 letters, it is possible to use tools already online to find the word.

edit: as I think about it, if a cell phone app is not already available then it would be easy to make.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wherbsmy$?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dealer I know, who knows Russian, writes his code in the Cyrillic alphabet.
    I like the idea of non-Roman characters--like others have said, it adds an extra dimension of complexity.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KOOL + LOOK
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Charleston!

Not original enough. I know of three separate dealers who use that code. >>

That is not my code, but an example for the OP.image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1000 * log(cost) written as 4 digits, first two swapped.

Example: $2 = 3001, $50 = 6199, $200 = 3201, $750 = 8275

Could also write using Tengwar.

If someone breaks either, he deserves to have broken it. Doesn't mean I'd change my selling price, though.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    QUICK TRADE

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Select your favorite 10-word phrase from Virgil. Then use the 3rd letter of each word to represent a number from 0-9. Work only in whole dollars (or, if you're "Laura" only in whole thousands of dollars).
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Mine also includes the date of purchase. Think outside the box.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    While not a dealer about 10 years ago I devised a code to keep track of price paid and date purchased incase I ever wanted to resell any of them. Now 10 years later I have no idea what the numbers and letters mean. Now I just write price, date and from who but not in code.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try designating the first letters or numbers as the round up value, say coin was $167 but you would note $170 minus 3, using the last letter or number to substract, if you're worried about it. The last digits to all values are pointless and a waste of time. Just round them up. Whatever is listed on the back of the holder of the coin, it's only a reminder to the seller the amount of money he has invested in it. It's seldom used to keep information from anyone. Many coins values fluxuate weekly. Just be sure to come up with a system you'll remember. It's comical watching a dealer refer to his own cheat sheet while dealing with a custumer. He looks at the coin and doesn't know what he's got into it and out comes the sheet, usually some price sheet with his code printed at the top of the page. And if he's wearing bifocals, it gets even more hilarious. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

You could realy flip everyone out and use binary code

0000=0
    0001=1
    0010=2
    0011=3
    0100=4
    0101=5
    0110=6
    0111=7
    1000=8
    1001=9

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Found this to be an interesting thread. I remember working with a dealer when I was in my teens and he used DON SURFACE and I invented JOE STINKLY as codes. For my coin purchases in 2 x 2's at small shows, I just lightly write in pencil the month/year and price on the back. I found that to be the most useful. I can always erase it if I want to.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first used a code I was still very deep into 1960's Mopar muscle cars. My code came from that.

OLD HEMI GTX
    123 4567 890

And an extra S to also mark zeroes as X was pretty common. Would toss in bogus leading or lagging letters not in the code to confuse (ie BOOM would be $116).
    If there was any confusion, it was usually me making a mistake....lol.

I know one dealer who marks the code with the actual numbers in order. Puts letters in front and behind. And people still ask how much the coin is. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Nobody's playing tic tac toe? image
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I just type it in and hit print.....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I remember another dealer in Independence MO that made it no secret his code was the number in reverse order sandwiched between the same two starting and ending letters. He told everyone, every time, how to read his code. But that was for his retail. I found this to be eccentric, but got used to it. He rarely had anything I was interested in.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diamond dealers too had their code or their cost on the inside of the diamond paper.

It was always fun and very easy to decipher as all it took was to see a sampling of their stock over time and most codes were broken.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of dealers used to use COINS as the first or last word in their code. I guess it could be fitted somewhere in the middle.

Nulls are also useful. Any letter not included as part of the core of the code can be used as a null.

My first code was TRUECOINS (how idealistic I was starting out). Only 9 core letters, so 17 possibilities for nulls. Front or back.
    Almost going broke in 1982 (there were many ways to do this in 1982) because I held stuff too wonderful to go down image, I changed my code to FASTMONEY. Sorry about my current one.

I've seen codes where the last character indicated how many preceding characters were valid and all codes were the same length.
    And repeaters/duplicates something like X or D

So, using FASTMONEY as the base - blanks inserted for readability

BDX MDBX T = 0005500 4 digits from length signifier.

J was seemingly a null, but actually a substitute for signifying 5, useful in that

P MJBK T meant 5500 masking the repeating 5's. If you don't have and F in your core code, it's a great substitute for the first or second 5, but not in this particular instance

K JMBZ T and P MXLD T and P MDLX T are all also 5500

I haven't used FASTMONEY for 20+ years, I hope I haven't bungled the coding. I had to endure a long hot ride in the convertible this PM getting home from NYC and need a salt pillimage Stacks bought lunch and I got a $17 discount on my parking. All just for paying 17.5% over hammer image

It's the idea. Anything can look confusing at first, but code and decode ZDP MC A numbers and it'll be automatic.

Perhaps most gratifying for many here would be famed collector Lorin Parmelee's code, which referred to his opinion of the dealers of the time.

MENDACIOUS imageimageimage;imageimageimageimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file