Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on the originality of this piece?

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    It doesn't look blue or like a Large Cent to me. It also doesn't look like a copper coin that has been cleaned or treated with "MS70". So, while the color is unusual, my guess is NT.
  • Options
    Fixed... image Half cent is what I meant.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    That is one of the most poorly struck Late Date Half Cents I have ever seen.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure.So I would pass on giving my thoughts on the originality.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy that coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    MS70'ed
  • Options
    I was equally surprised by the grade and the toning. Doesn't look like a 63 to me - but I don't know much about that series.
  • Options
    By starting this thread, I wasnt meaning to trash it or anything, just try to learn what causes the coloring, and what peoples first thoughts are on coins like this... Thanks for the opinions so far. Mr Feld, since you mentioned you didnt think it was treated with MS70, do you have any idea what might cause it to turning like that naturally? I realize its purely speculation...image
  • Options

<< <i>By starting this thread, I wasnt meaning to trash it or anything, just try to learn what causes the coloring, and what peoples first thoughts are on coins like this... Thanks for the opinions so far. Mr Feld, since you mentioned you didnt think it was treated with MS70, do you have any idea what might cause it to turning like that naturally? I realize its purely speculation...image >>

I really don't, sorry. It's just that based on before and after images I have seen, as well as what I have heard, MS70 is likely to leave more of a blue hue than I see on that coin. I'm also guessing that the color seen in the images might be at least somewhat different than that which appears on the coin.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would tend to agree with coinguy1.....though the reverse looks like it MIGHT have been treated with MS70, the obv does not, as really only the high points show blue.....and since the it's unlikely they would treat the rev and not the obv, my guess is it did not. I'm thinking it was stored in something chem reactive that had more contact on the reverse than the obv, like an old time wood cabinet or something, where it was stored rev side down. It would also not surprise me if the photo colors were slightly juiced.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>By starting this thread, I wasnt meaning to trash it or anything, just try to learn what causes the coloring, and what peoples first thoughts are on coins like this... Thanks for the opinions so far. Mr Feld, since you mentioned you didnt think it was treated with MS70, do you have any idea what might cause it to turning like that naturally? I realize its purely speculation...image >>

I really don't, sorry. It's just that based on before and after images I have seen, as well as what I have heard, MS70 is likely to leave more of a blue hue than I see on that coin. I'm also guessing that the color seen in the images might be at least somewhat different than that which appears on the coin. >>

Although rare; I am with him 100% on this one. It looks like brown that is flooded with light with an iridescence from the luster coming through. I bet it is only blue-ish at certain angles and green-ish brown most other.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Badly struck, un-natural looking toning, wrong TGP holder image
  • Options
    I don't know if the pictures are out of focus, but the coin looks to have corrosion on the surfaces from where I sit.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Long term leather wallet storage can cause any number of colors (blue, red, pink, purple...) to appear on copper. This is particularly true of older wallets.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't look right ?image
  • Options
    I totally disagree with Mark... image

I think it has been MS70'd image

I have used it on a 1909 VDB cent in MS64RB and where the coin was brown it turned purple so I know that it can turn coins blue and purple though it doesn't all the time image

I am trying to find an image of the coin before and after to post here.....
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    That has got to be THE worst strike in the history of half-cents!!!! I have never seen it's equal!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I totally disagree with Mark... image

I have used it on a 1909 VDB cent in MS64RB and where the coin was brown it turned purple so I know that it can turn coins blue and purple though it doesn't all the time image

I am trying to find an image of the coin before and after to post here..... >>

I have been told by one or more persons who have tried/done it and shown through images that MS70 is more likely to turn RB (as opposed to BN or RD) areas blue on copper coins. But I have not tried it myself. Still, the color on this coin does not match the blue I have seen on ones that were treated with MS70.

Edited to add: I'd guess storage in leather over the application of MS70. And I'd still like to see what the coin really looks like in-hand.
  • Options
    His pictures seem to showcase his coins at just the right light angle, I think there is a chance that it looks a bit different in hand. As it looks in the photos I don't care for it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I totally disagree with Mark... image

I am trying to find an image of the coin before and after to post here..... >>

I have been told by one or more persons who have tried/done it and shown through images that MS70 is more likely to turn RB (as opposed to BN or RD) areas blue on copper coins. But I have not tried it myself. Still, the color on this coin does not match the blue I have seen on ones that were treated with MS70.

Edited to add: I'd guess storage in leather over the application of MS70. And I'd still like to see what the coin really looks like in-hand. >>

If I can find an image of that 1909 at home I will post it....I certainly believe that when it comes to blue and purple copper...there are a lot of reasons for the color other then just MS70 so it is entirely possible there is another answer here.....just pointing out that blue and purple is what I saw with my wheat cent experiments. image
  • Options
    I would not buy anything from that dealer. Why? He has no Franklins!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I think it has seen a little bit of sulfur and not ms70. I have opened a stink bomb in a small wooden box with some wheat cents in the past and got that look, although i doubt the coin on 2nd thought was done that way on purpose. It may have been wrapped in tissue of some sorts like they used to ship the MPL's in.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-70'd or not, I don't like the coin. It has a poor strike, and it looks like the planchet has some issues...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file