Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stopping by a B&M can yield some fun.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
I stopped by a shop a couple of days ago to snoop and chat with the owner [he and I are on good terms and we like to talk about coins].

I did not see anything I wanted, so we talked coins. He pulled out some coins that recently came into his shop that he was considering having graded. He let me look at them.

A few of the coins are:

1. 1922 Cent, strong reverse, probably VF to EF;

2. 1893 S Morgan, probably VF; and

3. A beautiful Hawaiian coin from the early 1880's which is either MS or Proof (hard to tell and thus have it reviewed and graded by a TPG).

He also showed me a gold coin that he said he had to play detective to identify. He discovered that it is a 16th Century duchat from Germany. It is not round. Instead it is rectangular or square in appearance.

Way cool stuff that I would never have seen if I had not taken a few minutes of time to stop by and say hello.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The square piece is probably what is called a "klippe."
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    ya i might have the `93 S graded too.
    even if it was a`genuine` its still a good one to own.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ya i might have the `93 S graded too.
    even if it was a`genuine` its still a good one to own. >>

it's probably one of the most counterfeited Morgan dollars to boot..
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The square piece is probably what is called a "klippe."
    TD >>

Yep. One needs to be careful of the early date ones though, as there are many modern restrikes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file