Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Few New Pickups - Canada, Czech Republic, France, Great Britain

Well, not exactly new purchases, but I finally got around to photographing them (had a dozen coins backlogged from the last few months). Here's the first batch. All that's left to process are some Chinese pandas:

2010 Canadian Dinosaur

2007 Silver BU Britannia (hard to photograph, I went for PL-effect - I feel your pain, Michael)

2009 Silver BU Britannia (hard to photograph, I went for PL-effect - I feel your pain, Michael)

2009 Czech Republic International Year of Astronomy Coin

From my website, a description: The Czech Republic's coin came very late in 2009 and is yet another to honor Johannas Kepler and the formulation of his Three Laws of Planetary Motion that we still use today. They're kinda on the level of Newton's Laws of Motion for astronomy.

The obverse (or face ... not sure it's actually the obverse) shows Kepler along with a representation of his Second Law which effectively states that a planet will sweep out equal area in equal time (when it's closer to the sun, it will move faster in its orbit).

The reverse is really quite complex. I honestly don't quite know what it's supposed to represent, but it could be some rendition of Kepler's diagrams that he used to figure out his basic planetary laws. I don't think it's an astrolabe as was featured on many other IYA coins. It also contains the denomination, 200 Kč (200 CZK), and the mint mark for Česká Mincovna, the "C" with the bar over it and an inset capital "M" (I can't find a symbol for it on my computer).

With a face value of 200 Kč (koruna), the coin has a face value of around $10.50 USD (as of January 2010). This is actually quite a lot considering the coin is only 13 gms and 90% silver (balance copper). There is edge lettering on the proof version (which is what I have) that reads, "ČESKÁ NÁRODNÍ BANKA * Ag 0.900 * 13 g *" which translates as the "Czech National Bank" and then the fraction of silver and total weight. An uncirculated version with a limit of 10,700 pieces was also minted.

2009 French International Year of Astronomy Coin

From my website, a description: France's coin for IYA is an interesting piece and my only coin that's not, well, flat. The coin is domed, and hence is a bear to photograph, where the convex (upwards in the middle) side is what I've selected as the obverse, and concave is the reverse. What you may be barely able to make, out of focus, is actually me, my camera, and tripod above the coin but way out of focus.

The obverse commemorates the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. It shows the moon with a boot print over about 70% of the surface and then the denomination, year, and mint next to it. In addition, there are two small privy marks on either side of the date, one a cornucopia, and the other appears to be a dove.

The reverse is elegant in its simplicity, emphasizing the dome of the sky with stylized stars over it and the planet Saturn at the top. Around the bottom are the astronomical symbols of the planets, starting with the moon ☾, then sun, and then going through Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. Interestingly, Earth is missing, and the symbol for Pluto is not the standard one that's used in astronomy (&#9799image.

What's really cool about this coin is the 1 ounce gold version. Picture the coin above, in gold, but then with the matte "sky" section on the reverse plated in blue gold. Purdy. Too bad the sucker retails for around $2000.

The coin has a face value of €10 and is 90% silver, weighing in at 22.2 gm with a diameter of 37 mm. It has a maximum mintage of 10,000 pieces. The coin was also available in a 500-mintage 163.8 gm (5.77 oz) version, a 1000-mintage 8.45 gm (0.30 oz) gold one, and then the 1000-mintage 31.104 gm (1.1 oz) gold with blue gold plate version.
Visit my coin website!

Actively Collecting: Yearly Mint Stuff, Ikes, SBAs
Passively Collecting: All coins currently circulating
Type Set: (20th-21st century) First year of issue (or 1901), P Mint, ALL varieties

Comments

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I really like that Canadian Dinosaur coin.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I REALLY dig that dinosaur!! What composition is the reverse?
  • Options

<< <i>I REALLY dig that dinosaur!! What composition is the reverse? >>

The dinosaur coins are all silver. The reverse has been selectively toned (so PCGS may grade it as "Genuine" and send it back for AT) to give it a "fossilized" appearance. Because of microscopic differences between each coin struck, no two coins will look the same. I'm a fan of how my 2009 T Rex came out with the slight rainbow effect:

Visit my coin website!

Type Set: (20th-21st century) First year of issue (or 1901), P Mint, ALL varieties
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous photos and presentation!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Hello,

Being a guy with a Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering I really like the Copernicus coin!
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options

<< <i>Hello,

Being a guy with a Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering I really like the Copernicus coin! >>

Note that none were Copernicus, it's Kepler. You can check my International Year of Astronomy coins page on my website if you want to see more astronomy-related ones.
    Visit my coin website!

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your photos really came out great. I too find the Dinosaur to be very interesting. When these first came out I was'nt to sure if I liked them, they do seem to grow on you...image

Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.