Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

century type set, any denomination, any country how far back could one go?

edited for clarity

--------T O M---------

-------------------------

Comments

• mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    If you were going to do a type set by century how far back could you go with an unbroken set of varying coins from around the world?

--------T O M---------

• pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    It wasn't deleted. You posted it in the World and Ancient Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

• << <i>It wasn't deleted. You posted it in the World and Ancient Buy/Sell/Trade forum. >>

hahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha
    I remember seeing it there.
    Tom you have a bad case of OldTimers disease.

Ray
    omg .. LOL dont tell my wife.

--------T O M---------

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Do you mean:

- one coin per century, from anywhere
    - one coin per year, from anywhere
    - one coin of each type struck in each century, from everywhere
    - one coin per country struck in that century

If your question relates to dates that appear on coins, be aware that the AD calendar was not invented until about 600 AD and was not in common use in Europe until the 1500's. Of course, there are plenty of dated coins around, using other calendars (eg. Islamic, Seleucid) going right back almost to the invention of coinage in around 700 BC.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Do you mean:

- one coin per century, from anywhere
    - one coin per year, from anywhere
    - one coin of each type struck in each century, from everywhere
    - one coin per country struck in that century

If your question relates to dates that appear on coins, be aware that the AD calendar was not invented until about 600 AD and was not in common use in Europe until the 1500's. Of course, there are plenty of dated coins around, using other calendars (eg. Islamic, Seleucid) going right back almost to the invention of coinage in around 700 BC. >>

I wasn't sure either thats why I made a low ball offer.
  • if you mean building a type coin of one coin from every century-- and how far back you could go without encountering a problem...... i think one coin per century (if u could choose any coin from any country) is extremely do-able and affordable at least up to 4th century B.C. After that, 5th century BC gets a bit more expensive (I'd say $50 or more?), 6th century BC even more hard to find and expensive (maybe $300-$400 when found), and 7th century BC extremely hard to track down, and quite expensive. Others may have a different take. I know some of the dark ages centuries (600-1000 A.D) are very tough when it comes to coins of Europe, but not so much if you stick to coins of China, the Islamic world and Byzantium
  • Gt Bitain offers some fantastic opportunities and beautiful coinage,ive gotten as far back as 1297 so far without spending a ton of money.Theres easily older ones too and pretty achievable.
    I sure hadn't thought of the calendar being only a few hundred years old even though I KNEW That.. Great points brought up here and I think I'm going to start reading and researching for this project. I'm almost totally bored with my US coin set so It's time to shake things up.

--------T O M---------