LMC Is This A Die Adjustment Strike?

I am pretty sure the year is 2000.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Struck thru grease
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is struck through grease as the rim is too formed to be a die adjustment strike.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Never found an error like that, or even close, from circulation
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Struck through grease.

By the way, I can't say it often enough, but the term "die adjustment strike" is untenable. Unless you were there when the coin was struck, you can't identify the ultimate cause for a weak (low-pressure) strike. It could be an escapee from a test run (unlikely) or the result of mechanical failure (e.g., jam-up in adjacent striking chamber, broken knuckle joint, loss of proper die spacing, improperly positioned cam, etc, etc). The vast majority of weak strikes in the marketplace are undoubtedly the result of spontaneous equipment malfunction.

At best you can identify proximate cause (abnormally low ram pressure or insufficient die approximation), but this usually depends on the presence of at least one additional error.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is cool I like it. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file