Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did you ever sell a card and wish you hadn't.

Two years ago I sold a 66 Topps Bobby Orr rookie PSA 6 for $900 that I paid $1100 for. I wanted to buy a 53 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 4. I wish I would't have sold the Orr because I miss the card now. The Orr card has since doubled in value. I would love to hear some dumb moves from other board members. It might ease my pain.

VCP avg 53 Mantle PSA 4 $777.28
VCP avg 66 Orr PSA 6 $2060.00

Oh yea, I sold the Mantle also for a bunch of crap for bone head move #2 image
Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    nah. wishes are for people who find geenies in bottles. image

i would like to send my foot back in time though, so i could kick myself in the a$$ for getting rid of a few that i'd rather be looking at right now.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You would not be a collector/seller if you hadn't IMO.

Sorta goes with the territory luckily for me I have no regrets on any card I have sold.

I do though for some other items though. I try not to think of them.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    A yeat ago a submitted a Orr RC to PSA that I had for almost 20 years. It came back "Trimmed" and my friend who sold it to me his dad pulled it in a pack. I had it authenticated and sold it on Ebay for around $900. I t stood me around $1100 between cash and trades. The corners were very good without any White showing and the centering was 50/50 side to side and 70/30 top to bottom. I should have sent it out to another grading company.
  • Options
    Why?

Unless you mean SGC, the card would have possibly brought less if it was in a 3rd tier company holder.

Wasn't it better to get the 'true' appraisal of the card?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Try not to beat yourself up too much; no one can accurately predict the future. On a similar note, it's difficult to say whether you will see a card again in the future if you choose to pass it up today. It's just the nature of the hobby unfortunately.

The only way to avoid this may be by parting with a card only after you have already upgraded it.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    about two years ago i bought a orr psa 6 rc for $900 and sold it last week for $2k, oh wait you said moves we regret...
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    not a card but a rack

in the mid '90s when I was buying as much unopened as I could afford, I picked up a '71 Topps BB Rack Pack with Aaron on top twice from Teletrade. I bought it for $150. I sold it to finance my wife's 10th anniversary gift--diamond earrings. I sold it for $1,000.

The guy I sold it to put his collection up for auction and someone paid $6,000 for the rack!!
  • Options
    Manny

Hi, Doesn't it count when you sold it and when he did?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>not a card but a rack

in the mid '90s when I was buying as much unopened as I could afford, I picked up a '71 Topps BB Rack Pack with Aaron on top twice from Teletrade. I bought it for $150. I sold it to finance my wife's 10th anniversary gift--diamond earrings. I sold it for $1,000.

The guy I sold it to put his collection up for auction and someone paid $6,000 for the rack!! >>

That's what I'm talking about...I feel a little better now.

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I traded my card shop owner my Nolan Ryan rookie card for $20 and a fresh box of 1987 Topps back in '87.

Feeling better now??

On a side note, I did pull two minty Kal Daniels rookies from that box if I recall, so all wasn't lost. image
  • Options

<< <i>I traded my card shop owner my Nolan Ryan rookie card for $20 and a fresh box of 1987 Topps back in '87.

Feeling better now??

On a side note, I did pull two minty Kal Daniels rookies from that box if I recall, so all wasn't lost. image >>

Muchhhhhhhhhhh better image

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    One of my most memorable regrets is that after loading up on 1994 ARod SP's and Fleer Updates at the 1998 National, I culled out the very best and submitted them to PSA and SGC. I received 2 PSA 10 and and a few PSA 9's and eventually sold them for the going rates on eBay (it was in its infancy, but still a nice place to get a good price). The regret is that I subbed a few cards to SGC and received 3 SGC 96's and an SGC 100. Since SGC was still relatively new, I didn't have too much of a clue about the scarcity or intrinsic value that the PRISTINE grade would carry, especially on a card like ARod.

Anyway, I eventually decided to auction it after having it in the showcase with the PSA 10's for a couple of shows. I ran it on eBay at the same time as one of my PSA 10's. While I was quite excited with the final price, a whopping $1400+, it wasn't until I learned more about SGC and then eventually worked for them, that I learned about the uniqueness and the value of the SGC 100. Over the years, I have been contacted about the card and even had an offer of over $25,000.00 if I could get back from Randy, the auction winner.

Alas, I'm doubtful that it would bring anything like it would at it's peak, but selling the SGC 100 ARod SP is one of my most regretful sales over the past 25 years.
  • Options
    I've decided to put together a 1953 and 1956 topps set. Everytime I go down the list, I get to an open spot and mumble a few words at myself about a few I sold a year ago.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I think if you have been in this hobby any length of time, you have a regret or two. These two came to mind when I read the title.

An early 1900's Nap Lajoie "proof" card from one of the Caramel series. There was some debate on if it was a true proof, but that is how SGC authenticated it. It had the printers hash marks at the top and I think bottom.

The other, while not valuable, was still one I kick myself for selling. I am a huge Carl Willey collector and have, I believe, every card of his made including some uncatalogued and proof cards from the Topps Vault. Like another poster on this thread, I used to buy from Teletrade back before Ebay. I had picked up a 1962 174b with cap aluminum proof plate of his, the first I had ever seen. I had it for a few years until the big 92-93 basketball draft came and I HAD TO HAVE a Shaq signed ball. I paid $15 for the plate and sold it to a family member of Carlton's for $100. I was thrilled to make that profit. But now, years later, I have 3 more of those plates, 2 red and one black, I sold the other black plate. All 4 displayed together with a card would look awesome. Boy, do I kick myself for that. And for the record, I ended up selling the ball years back.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    The Teletrade comment brings back a reallllly bad memorie for me. I won a 54Bowman Mays, 55B Aaron, 54 Aaron RC and others during one auction when I was mayyyybe 19.
    Thw 2 Bowmans were in 4-5 condition, but the Aaron RC was an easy 6, outside 7.

At any rate, I was moving and had my car towed (my fault) for parking somewhere I shouldnt have. The lot was in my glovebox.... they werent there when I got the car back.

Im still sick over that.
    -Stadium Giveaways
    -Ticket Stubs
    -Magazines
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I traded my 1956 TOpps Yogi Berra for a whole bunch of commons and minor stars for my 1960 Topps set that I was putting together. I still don't know what I was thinking.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    About 13 to 14 years ago I flipped a Teletrade lot of beautiful '55 Bowman football for a small profit (paid $51, sold for $60), which I used to buy some modern wax at a mall show.

I got very nice deals on the modern cards - a lot of it was draft pick cards with 1 auto per pack, but the football cards are probably now sitting in PSA 7 and PSA 8 (with maybe even a few PSA 9) holders.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I think that they are only bad deals if you could have made more at the time.

Do some of you consider it a bad deal if after 10 years the item you sold for say 50.00

now sells for 500.00?

I know it is slightly off target but a few have mentioned what they wish they had it back because

of the money they think they left on the table.

Or is money not an issue here, simply a card you wish you never sold regardless of what you sold it for and

what it goes for now?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>I think that they are only bad deals if you could have made more at the time.

Do some of you consider it a bad deal if after 10 years the item you sold for say 50.00

now sells for 500.00?

I know it is slightly off target but a few have mentioned what they wish they had it back because

Or is money not an issue here, simply a card you wish you never sold regardless of what you sold it for and

what it goes for now?

Steve >>

you make a good point, because we should all consider time period to value and circumstances......prolly around 20 years ago or so, myself and my partner acquired an 8 x 10 glossy B&W photo of Babe, Lou & Christy Walsh, signed by all 3, pristine sigs, beautiful photo and at the time there weren't a whole lotta things like that floating around......the piece wound up in a high-profile auction and hammered at almost 8 times what we paid for it......we then parlayed the profits into other purchases, flips, trades, keepers, etc. and felt really good about how things turned out.

now, jump forward a couple decades and consider just how happy we might be to still possess such an item.....what's it worth? who knows????? but, without turning around the item when we did, who knows what other opportunities we might have missed?
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I had about 8 really sharp Rickey Henderson, Ozzie Smith and Eddie Murray RCs in hard cases. Sold them all to the owner of a card shop in 1990 for about $50.
    I was a poor college student and needed the cash.
  • Options
    Yeah that one would have chapped my behind.

But I'm sure you have made some great deals too.

They seem to average out.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I sold a Yogi Berra which I no longer have a picture of so I will show an example card..

I believe these cards have a stated odds of 1:20,000 packs or something crazy like that, but please don't quote me on that one.

Was a very beautiful card and it was graded a Mint 9 too, really miss it.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that they are only bad deals if you could have made more at the time.

now sells for 500.00?

what it goes for now?

Steve >>

It kind of goes hand in hand. Not many collectors care if they sold/traded a card that can be easily obtained, unless it has sentimental value.
  • Options
    One day I will have my Orr back image I just hope it doesn't cost me $4000 image

• Options
    I guess that would be true if it is easily obtainable and for a price that is reasonable.

Just about any card is easily obtainable ......for a price.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    what is this 'teletrade' thing you guys speak of?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    IMO, part of this is trying to make the right decision on what to unload at any given point in time. "Sell when it's hot, not when it's not"

So do I consider my selling of the rack for $1,000 that later sold for $6,000, one I would like to have back. You betcha! Clearly I misconstrued the value of that rack. I should've mentioned that it sold for a bunch a meager 2 years after selling it to him. So I made a mistake and he was very smart.

NOTE: In that same auction, I picked up his '69 Topps BB Wax Tray at a loss of $2,000 to him.
  • Options
    Teletrade is an auction site for coins and I guess cards.

Google it or go to the coin forum I think they have a link there.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I have never sold anything so unique that I couldn't replace it. For example, I put together the Inscriptions autograph sets when they originally came out and eventually sold them off. Last year I pieced them back together without too much hassle and for far less than I originally put the sets together.

Now if we are talking about selling something before it hit its peak, that's a different matter all together. I cracked a lot of 2000 SP Authentic case and had 5 or 6 Brady rookie cards... sold them off when they were around the $100 - $150 mark. On the bright side, at least they covered the box price.

Teletrade used to hold phone auctions back before the internet became the number one source for hobbyists. I just Googled them and was surprised to find they are still in business.

Snorto~
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I actually sold my first PSA card I ever bought, PSA 6 1964 Mantle, in a Teletrade auction. Didn't get as much for it as I hoped, Teletrade used to send out really crappy printed catalogs of their upcoming, monthly I believe auctions. At the time though it was the best and easiest way to collect until Ebay took off.

Cards I regret selling

1953 PSA 7 Satchel Paige, Perfectly centered, $400 in 2002. Profit, $50

1933 Goudey Dizzy Dean and Jimmie Foxx PSA 7s (Foxx was the low number) for 2400 right after 9/11.

T205 Cy Young PSA 4, $400 in 2000. T205s were not very popular at the time and I bought it on Ebay for under 300.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>what is this 'teletrade' thing you guys speak of? >>

Teletrade used to run coin auctions and sports card auctions (seperate divisions). I believe they only run coin auctions now. They had some decent stuff, it was fun bidding on there auctions, it would be nice if they started the sports division again.
  • Options
    Yeah I think they only do coins and currency now.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I also forgot about the 86 Fleer Jordan rookie I sold for $50 back in the early 90's. image

• Options
    In the late 80s I sold a 55 Topps Aaron and Banks for $100. Needed cash for dates with my high school girlfriend. I should have kept the cards!! image
  • Options
    The first submission I did was to BGS and I had a SWEET Gretzky Topps RC. It got an 8 which I thought for sure was a 9 or better. I had a store at the time and listed it for $500 not caring if I sold it or not. Well it sold and I have been kicking myself ever since as I really wanted to give this card down to my kids as a keepsake. But I got a good price at the time.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Here was one that I regretted at the time, but it worked out...

As a teen, I pulled a Canseco RC from a pack of 86 Donruss -- shop owner offered me another pack in trade for it, and I asked for 2 -- he agreed. I remember seeing that card booking at 60+ not too long after that (was .90 at the time).

A deal that I wish I pulled -- I pulled a 1952 Mantle Reprint Refractor from a box of 1996 Topps Jumbos(I think). I called the dealer trying to figure out what I had and he offered me $250 for it. I didn't take it and sold it 10 years later for about $40 IIRC.
  • Options
    hey Bziddy shouldn't you be working? lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Never should of taken the $125 for it, but I needed beer.

• Options

<< <i>Never should of taken the $125 for it, but I needed beer.

image >>