Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Autograph collection authentic? Cobb Wagner

I have a chance to purchase a collection of five vintage autographs. Included in the collection are autographs by Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Tris Speaker, Jimmie Foxx, and Cy young.

I have my some doubts about the collection as they are not Psa/Dna authenticated. Any thoughts?

Comments

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    make that they pass authentication part of the deal, the guy shouldn't have a problem that you want real autographs...
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    don't look good to me
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • The "C" in Cobb looks off to me but pretty close otherwise. The Wagner could be off as well but his autograph varied some since he signed into his coaching years too. Play it safe and get authenticated.
  • To me, if I didn't see them signing it in person or if they didn't come certified already in packs I try to stay away... of course some players were long gone by the time they made certified autographs in packs, so I would only go with the cut cards they produce, because they have them authenticate already. Sure you can have the person send them to PSA/DNA to see if they're real, but of course if they know its fake they will not do that. Good luck!
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    They all look like they were written with the same pen by the same person.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

• << <i>They all look like they were written with the same pen by the same person. >>

That's exactly what I was thinking.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Foxx looks very bad to me.

He changed his signature drastically over his life, but there are problems with both the J and the F in terms of differences between them and the closest versions of those letters I've seen from exemplars - plus that style J seems to only be found with a very different style F than was used on this signature. More importantly, whoever made the x's did them with pen strokes in the opposite direction from how Foxx signed his name.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    That "Co" in Cobb is WAY to slow of a stroke. I would stay away. Autographs as bold and as beautiful as these are usually authenticated before sold. Do not buy.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • The Foxx looks way off to me and although Cobb looks "ok" I don't think he ever signed his name Tyrus except on his checks. I could be wrong about that though.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Is it on ebay? Get a quick opinion.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Thenavarro would be a good one to look at the Cobb auto.

Rick
    Buying or trading for Cubs, Angels autos and anything related to Nick Adenhart! ****RIP NA 34****
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Negative x 5

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    the end of "Jimmie" looks suspicious...

<< <i>

<< <i>They all look like they were written with the same pen by the same person. >>

That's exactly what I was thinking. >>

that was my first red flag too
    Also, I am assuming that round circle on the Wagner is a postal stamp? Interesting how the ink faded/smeared/aged over the years with the stamp, but the signature shows no signs of wear.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autographs like this are a tough racket - firstly, just like artists who can look at something and paint or draw it, there are a number of people out there who can look at a genuine autograph and write it somewhat accurately, and with some practice, it can be very accurate.

Secondly, just because something is signed on old stationary, doesn't mean it's genuine. I have been to numerous flea markets and antique stores over the years, and this old stationary isn't that hard to find for sale, and it's cheap.

Thirdly, calligraphy type ink, fountain pens, quill pens and such to emulate old style hand writing, and different colors of ink are available at almost any art supply store.

On top of all that...paper can be artificially aged as some scammers do with reprint baseball cards.

Again...it's a tough racket and if ya have doubt about the autographs, then I'd say the odds are you are right.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Were those fakes on Craigslist ?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>They all look like they were written with the same pen by the same person. >>

that was my first red flag too >>

Me four. Before someone showed the others, I was thinking that the Christmas card would be a very convincing scam. Buy an old unsigned Christmas card on eBay, then sign it with your favorite Hall of Famer. Has an air of authenticity about it.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stink at this kind of stuff - the one thing I do look for is "hesitation" in the form of 'pooling' of the ink during the signiture process.

Here's a few approved by PSA/DNA:

I gotta say - if they're all fake? They're not bad IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

that was my first red flag too >>

I agree with what everyone else said. The same pen from the same guy because they are all the same size.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Here are a couple very interesting links that I thought some of you might enjoy reading:

Ty Cobb sigs - 90% are fakes!

Christy Mathewson sigs - 99% are fakes!

PoppaJ