Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Contemporary Counterfeit Sou?

I recently pulled this coin out of a junk box, mostly out of interest in its flaws. It is common for such a coin to lose part of the planchet, even post minting? Also, I noticed that the lettering for 'Liberte' looks thin and spidery. Any opinions/information?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I suppose it is possible it's a contemporary counterfeit, but my money's on it just being an oddly struck/poor planchet genuine piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- then again, you do have a point about the thin and spidery lettering on "LIBERTE". Hm.

Whatever the case, it's a neat junkbox pickup.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Thanks LordMarcovan! I also felt a bit sorry for it, figured I would give it a home for now. These French Revolutionary coins often come up overstruck or double struck but this is the oddest one I have come across so far...
  • It's authentic and double struck.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Cool.