Home Stamps Forum

Anyone use an Auction House to Sell Their Collection?

Greetings all! I'm new to the Stamp Forum, but not collecting. I've posted over on the Coins Forum (I collect those too) a few times over the last couple years, but this is my first Stamps Forum post. Although I haven't posted here before, I usually check this forum every week or so to see what's going on.

I have a question regarding selling a collection. Has anyone had experience selling their collection through an auction house...i.e. Heritage, Regency-Superior, etc? If you did, did the results me your expectations?

Reason I ask, is that I'm about five months from retirement, and am looking for ways to supplement my retirement income. I Started collecting when I was about 11 (my uncle worked at the post office and would get plate blocks for me). I collected off and on until my mid-20's, then took a break, and got back into it a time or two since then. Collection includes complete mint commemorative set from 1892-1945, a group of Columbian and Trans-Miss plate blocks, plate number strips, 10 different National Parks complete cover sets with cachets by Imperial, Roy, Parsons, Dyer, etc., plus a bunch of misc. pre-30's plate blocks, British Colonies, about 300 Collins hand-painted covers...ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. I didn't really know how much I had accumulated over the years until I started going though my collection.

I thought about selling items separately on E-bay (when I'm retired, I should have time), but don't know if I'd likely get less, more or significantly more there than going the auction route.

Any thoughts/opinions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ralph

Comments

• Ralph,

If you paid good many for your material at the time of purchase - use a "real" auction house to sell. If you bought on the cheap, purchased at the post office, etc - use ebay.

Something I wrote several years ago on eBay selling here: http://www.rfrajola.com/features/ebayselling/ebayselling.htm

I would be please to recommend a good auction house if you email mail with more information (I make my living advising clients on choosing an auction house and buying at auction). See my website.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com