Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Times like these I really really love my website (Cal's responses posted!)

Wanted to pass along some good news. This year is the 30th anniversary of the WBTV set distributed in Charlotte. A year ago I was able to get a 4 part question forwarded to Cal Ripken, Jr., about the highs and lows from his minor league stops. It had been a year since this happened and the worst a person can say is no so I sent in my request to ask Cal about his 1980 cards. I can't believe how busy the guy has to be so who knows if he is even available. When he did answer my question it was through e-mail correspondence with a PR rep that passed him the question and gave his response to me. This in itself took a few weeks. In any case the request was approved! Talk about a kid in the candy store. I get to ask Cal Ripken, Jr., about his first minor league card! Now I have to figure out what exactly I want to ask!

Comments

• Options
    very cool, keep us posted...
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Very neat!! Good luck
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Chris! I can't wait to hear his response!!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, not everyday one gets to talk with a HOF'r.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I would think a question about how "interesting it was to have a card of his own...whether he collected cards as a kid and whether he collects any of his own cards" would be a good style of question.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I can't express how much it means to have any interaction with Cal. It is the ultimate validation for the site. I've cheered for him since grade school. Knowing that he will correspond and add to the site is hard to put in terms. The initial request actually had three parts. In addition to asking about the Charlotte cards I wanted to ask about the Rochester cards and his recollections of "The Longest Game" for the 30th anniversary in 2011. Since he's so busy it's a tough request so I asked about the Charlotte question this year then try to ask about Rochester in 2011. The core foundation of the website is the minor league cards. It just makes sense in some way to be able to ask Cal himself about the cards.

<< <i>I would think a question about how "interesting it was to have a card of his own...whether he collected cards as a kid and whether he collects any of his own cards" would be a good style of question. >>

Something along these lines will be where it goes. I do not want to take advantage of the opportunity and ask a lot of questions. They're being so very gracious with me and I want to leave the door open for the future. The 1980 WBTV was Cal's first baseball card. My immeidate thoughts are to ask about the process, what it felt like seeing his first card and asking how many he took. A year or two ago Cal did an interview with Beckett. I can't find the interview but I am pretty sure Cal said he has a box of them.

On another note all of you need to visit the site and get registered for the giveaway to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the WBTV set. Tim Carroll has created a one of a kind sketch card of Cal's first card. All you have to do to win it is register!
  • Options
    Forwarded the questions to Cal's PR team. Not sure if all of them will get answered but here they are. Curiosity got the best of me and I wondered what Cal felt like when he saw they spelled his name wrong on the back. Here's what was forwarded:

The 1980 WBTV Charlotte O’s set was given out on May 30, 1980, at Crockett Park. What were your thoughts when you saw your picture on your first card for the first time? Did you recall how many copies you saved and what you did with them? Were you disappointed that your name was spelled “RIPKIN” on the back?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    very cool
  • Options
    Got the responses back from Cal! Here's how it went:

RITM: The 1980 WBTV Charlotte O’s set was given out on May 30, 1980, at Crockett Park. What were your thoughts when you saw your picture on your first card for the first time?

Cal: I remember that it was a thrill. I am guessing that the moment of your first trading card is a great feeling for any ballplayer and I certainly fell into that category. I guess it gave me the feeling that I was a professional athlete for the first time.

RITM: Did you recall how many copies you saved and what you did with them?

Cal: I don’t but anyone who knows me knows that I am a real pack rat. I bet I have some copies somewhere here in the house that I don’t even know about.

RITM: Were you disappointed that your name was spelled “RIPKIN” on the back?

Cal: I am sure that I was at the time but looking back it doesn’t bother me in the least. I think that probably about half of the letters and emails I receive have my last name misspelled still today. I don’t take that kind of thing personally but it always makes me chuckle.
  • Options
    Yeah, ask him why he didn't smile.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, ask him why he didn't smile. >>

Probably because when you're 20 years old, you're WAY too cool to smile. image

Chris, you should tell Cal that you would be happy to look for them in his house! (lol)

Cool responses!
  • Options
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cal: I am sure that I was at the time but looking back it doesn�t bother me in the least. I think that probably about half of the letters and emails I receive have my last name misspelled still today. I don�t take that kind of thing personally but it always makes me chuckle. >>

Yeah, it must be funny to get a letter that says "Dear Mr. Ripkin, I'm your biggest fan!"
    Surrrre you are.

• Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    Chris - congratulations on the responses! You must be thrilled.

Jim
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Very cool, Congrats!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome..........Another great addition to your site!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Congrats! that is very cool!
  • Options
    Greetings folks and thank you so much for the kind comments. To say I was thrilled is a giant understatement! I can't wait for 2011 and the opportunity to correspond about the 1981 TCMA/WTF cards and "The Longest Game". Although it's the second correspondence it's still a shock to know that Cal is willing to help make the site better by sharing his recollections. I don't say that as a disrespect to Cal in any way. I just never imagined when the site was built that it would lead to correspondence with Cal. It is the ultimate seal of approval for the site.

As far as going through the house to help him find the WBTV cards I remember an article with Beckett in the past few years. In it he said something similar about knowing he has the sets but has no clue where they are!