Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How does "curling" affect the grade...

Can anyone tell me how the typical "curling" from being stored vertically in a box affects the grade of 1970s Topps cards? Thanks for any input.
Joe

Comments

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Curling is normal and unless extreme, has little or no impact on the final grade.
  • So curling happens because cards are stored vertically?
  • Kelloggs or Topps 3-D cards are the only ones that may be effected by curling. Usually crack when flattened out.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Cards can curl even if they are stacked on their backs in a pile. It depends on the thickness of the stock
    and the type of heat your house has. I remember sorting cards into 100's at my shop which had steam heat and the next morning the cards
    were curled. I sorted cards at my house (hot water heat) no curling. I once sold a bunch of minty 71 topps raw (yeah I know) and the buyer
    was PO'd that they came curled and accused me of selling cards that got wet. I tried to explain the concept to him to no avail.

His loss, the next person and those thereafter were very happy with the cards.

I found them in an attic that I was cleaning out and they must have sat in that box for 30 plus years. All were series 1 cards.

I did pretty good with them (about 200 in all) they were among the first cards I sold on ebay. IMO they were easy 8's with 1 card
    a LL that might have 10'd.

I still regret to this day not sending them to PSA. It was before I began having cards graded.

Steve
    Good for you.