Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FUN Purchase-Early Copper with Envelope-I could use a little help.

Its an N-9, late die state. Need some help with the envelope and the Grellman card.
I think the RVP is the pedigree for Dick Punchard (his name appears on the envelope). Is DWH Dan Holmes?
Here's the front of the envelope. What is "VD?" (watch it!! image) And what is 0870?
Here's the back of the envelope with the Dick Punchard pedigree, and the J Ashby pedigree. I'm not familiar
with J Ashby. Anyone have any info on him?
And here's a crappy scan of the coin, in case anyone cares:

Comments

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Yep, DWH is indeed Dan Holmes. Nice bisecting obverse crack!
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    John Ashby was a longtime EAC mamber/dealer who sold coins as "Ashby's Best Coppers" or something like that. You can find his ads in early issues of Penny Wise, the publication of the EAC organization.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    Thanks Tom. Anyone else? VD? 0870?
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    You should contact Bob Grellman & ask what his writings meant.
    He is affiliated here: Link

Grellman Jr., John R. "Bob" – A retired US Air Force officer, coin collector and writer, Grellman specializes in the late-date large cents (1840-1857). In 1986, Grellman co-authored, along with Jules Reiver, the Attribution Guide for United States Large Cents 1840-1857. Grellman is active in the coin auction business and, working with Chris Victor-McCawley, prepares the EAC annual sale.

Holmes, Daniel W., Jr. – (1938-) A Cleveland, Ohio native was CEO of an electric fan manufacturer, Holmes began collecting in 1948, at age 10, by filling holes in Whitman penny boards. He is EAC # 340 and purchased his first large cent, a VG7 S-167, in 1974 for $23, from Willard Blaisdell at the EAC Convention in New York City. His interests expanded to the entire large cent series as the passion grew. Holmes early dates, the most complete ever formed, were auctioned by Ira & Larry Goldberg Auctioneers on September 6, 2009. His collection featured every collectible and non-collectible variety except for 1794 S-5 which uniquely resides with the American Numismatic Society collection. Among the highlights in this record-breaking large cent sale which grossed $15,162,560 [including 15% buyer's premium] were the finest known S-79 which sold for $1,265,000 and became the first ever large cent to exceed the $1M mark. Other highlights were the finest known 1799 [S-189] which brought $977,500 and the finest known 1804 [S-266c] at $661,250. Also extraordinary in their joint appearance were both varieties of the 1793 "Strawberry Leaf" cents.

Punchard, Richard V. – Punchard is a retired heating and air conditioning contractor. He was a collector of die varieties and die states. He is noted for his discovery of the 1822 Newcomb 14 cent variety. Much of his late date collection was sold privately to Dan Holmes. Remainders from his cent collection were sold by Bowers and Merena in 1995 and his library was sold by Remy Bourne in 1997.

Ashby, Sr. John S. - (1924-1984) EAC #468 Ashby was a Chicago native and a collector of large cent error coins. He was a dealer in copper coins and a strong promoter of EAC. Included with his monthly price lists was the encouragement to join EAC. Many customers took his advice. He is given much of the credit for EAC membership growth during this period.

Did you buy this? If so, who from?

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No help here, but it's a nice coin with an interesting pedigree.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>Did you buy this? If so, who from? >>

I actually bought this coin from Bob and Chris at the FUN show, but I didn't even bother to look at the envelope until today. With the exception of Ashby, I'm
    familiar with all the individuals involved in the pedigree, and I'm very clear now on the Grellman card info. Not all of the writing on the envelope appears
    to be Grellman's. I assumed the writings were common notations found on copper envelopes and that someone here could easily answer the questions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file