Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Chopmarked cap & rays 8R didn't make it

I'm disappointed. At the Houston show last month I bought a Do 1877 JMP 8R that was a nice, lustrous, original AU53 with 6 or so small chops (not uncommon for this date, supposedly). The next day I was submitting some coins to PCGS and casually asked if their chopmark policy for US trade dollars (grade as if unchopped, then note presence of chops on holder) also went for world coins. "Absolutely!" said the red bearded gentleman... Not so, though, since it came back today code 98. I looked it over closely and there's definitely no other damage, so it was 98'd for the chops. I sent in a chopped Taiwan Old Man dollar as well, and got my first ever "No opinion/Refund". Not sure what to think of that these days.

Has anyone ever seen a chopmarked coin other than a USA trade dollar in a number-graded PCGS holder?

Comments

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Interesting..... in these cases you'd love to have a "written opinion of the grader"... Seems like you're paying for the analysis they might as well share a sentence, tho Im sure that implies some sort of liability....

is there any way you can post a photo here?
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... Odd...

I could've sworn I saw pillar dollars with chops in PCGS plastic.
  • This isn't a photo that would sell the coin or anything, just a snap:

I think the grading of these in circ lies mainly in the luster. Since it's not evident in my pic, I know my AU53 grade seems steep. But in hand, etc. The only damage I can see is the chops.

I have seen a lot of chopped coins in PCGS holders, but the only ones that had a 1-70 number on them were US trade dollars.

The Taiwan dollar must go to NGC now. I really hate that I like it as real, several other knowledgeable parties agree, but if it won't holder N or P then I must return it because it's unsaleable.
  • Can you post some pictures of the Taiwan Old Man dollar?
  • Colin, remind me in a month or something when it should be back, and I'll send you or post some pics.