Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Upper Deck counterfeits Yu Gi Oh cards and were selling them on the side.

Anyone else read in the paper today that the sleaze at UD were counterfeiting cards?

Seems they had a contract to produce Yu Gi Oh cards and made a bundle for themselves.

lol you can't make this up.

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• Olds news.

Apparently they reached a settlement a few days ago.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah they admitted doing it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    '89 Junior reincarnated!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I just wonder how many collectors will continue to trust and buy cards from an admitted conterfeit producer. How can you trust their certified autos? or their game used equipment?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I just read into this and heard about the Griffey JR Rookie card & Sergei Fedorov card as well.

Unbelievable er scratch that, I guess I cant be too suprised.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    The book "Card sharks" was very telling. These guys haven't changed very much .
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    You can't spell FRAUD without UD
  • ken61ken61 Posts: 55 ✭✭
    "Card Sharks" should be required reading for anybody who collects modern cards. As one Upper Deck employee put it: "It was like we had the power to print money."
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    SP1 Michael Jordan Baseball "RC"
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve

That's kind of like 'backdoor' cards than counterfeit?

mike
    Mike
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just wonder how many collectors will continue to trust and buy cards from an admitted conterfeit producer. How can you trust their certified autos? or their game used equipment? >>

You can't...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Hi Mike

The paper said they admitted to counterfeiting them so the way I read it was they
    produced them without the knowledge of the company for whom they had a contract with.

Backdooring them would be taking some of the inventory that they were contracted to make.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just wonder how many collectors will continue to trust and buy cards from an admitted conterfeit producer. How can you trust their certified autos? or their game used equipment? >>

Except for all the Pujols auto'd cards - those are legit

<< <i>Hi Mike

The paper said they admitted to counterfeiting them so the way I read it was they
    produced them without the knowledge of the company for whom they had a contract with.

Backdooring them would be taking some of the inventory that they were contracted to make.

Steve >>

Exactly, and on past stuff they literally fired up the presses to make more of popular cards... even singles!!!!

<< <i>

Except for all the Pujols auto'd cards - those are legit >>

how would you know? image
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
    was this going on in 1996? or were they literally printing cards from a decade ago image

my impression from the original reports was that they basically just weren't paying Konami and printing them under the table. If they were reprinting cards -in China, right?- from a decade ago, Konami was just wanting their cut but the bigger problem was that from a hobby standpoint that's totally fraudulent.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

UD is the king of "created rarities", "limited editions", years of massed-produced cr@p! That has been "sucked-up" by collectors for years, ...spending many millions of their hard earned cash!

What a bunch of a--------holes, spending "cash for trash"

I'm such an a-----ss! image

rd

Well, at least the few hundred pounds of UD junk I own is encased in plastic! image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Mike

Steve >>

I understand that Steve.

My point was that they're the "same" cards - so no one would be able to tell they're counterfeits - that's kinda what I meant.

mike

edit: I just saw where it's posted that they weren't making them exactly like the originals - so my point is moot.
    Mike

• << <i>

Except for all the Pujols auto'd cards - those are legit >>

HAD TO THROW THAT IN THERE DIDNT YOU ALT....HAMMERED

DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER DURING THE DAY IF YOU KNOW YOU TOOK A POT SHOT AT PUJOLS COLLECTORS?

My point was that they're the "same" cards - so no one would be able to tell they're counterfeits - that's kinda what I meant.

Never thought of it that way and I had no idea they were different until Storm mentioned it.

I suppose if they were the same they would be unauthorized reprints.

My guess is that Konami provided the paper for UD to use and UD used what they felt would dupe the

buying public. Thus the courts deemed them as counterfeiters and not reprinters, which they also have been.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Pretty dumb, guess that's why they lost their license in baseball and basketball. 600K cards cost them millions of dollars. I suppose greed catches up with you somehow. I do want to add a positive spin, they tend to put out photography rich cards in the 90's. Could this be the end for Upper Deck?