Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

FSH: High-grade certified Roosies

Here are some PCGS and NGC-certified Roosevelt dimes I thought might be of interest to forum members. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in any of them. For items up to $30 please add an additional $1.50 for shipping, $3 for anything above $30. Paypal is ok.

Note: I'll have to update the listing to add images for some of the coins as several of the original pictures I took were much too large for this format so I'm not including them in the initial listing - please let me know if you'd like to see an image of a particular coin that isn't shown here.

Thanks for looking!
  1. 1949-S PCGS MS66 toned, FB/FT candidate - $85
  2. 1953-S PCGS MS66FB - $75
  3. 1954-S PCGS MS66FB, Missing 'JS' variety (Breen #3736) - $95
  4. 1960 NGC PF68 Ultra Cameo - $39
  5. 1964-D PCGS MS66FB - $70
  6. 1970-S PCGS PR68DCAM - $25
  7. 1973-D NGC MS67 - $15
  8. 1979-D PCGS MS67 - $39
  9. 1979-S Type 1 PCGS PR70DCAM - $75
Detailed descripions w/images:
  1. 1949-S PCGS MS66 toned, FB/FT candidate - $85

This PQ key date Roosie has a lot going for it. It has beautiful mint set toning on both sides where patches of cobalt blue and burgundy overlay an overall champagne patina. Plenty of luster lies underneath the toning although unfortunately it's not picked up very well in the images. The obverse is technically 67; two cuts on the oak branch on the reverse is likely what caused this to grade as 66.
    Another thing that stands out is the great strike. The reverse torch is complete and there's actually a full split between the lower bands but it's weak on the right side. Apparently PCGS felt it was too weak to give it the FB designation when I sent it in for Designation Review a while back, but if you compare it to this FB-designated example it makes me wonder whether I should have tried again. It's all moot at this point since I've found an NGC-graded MS66FT that happens to look very much like this one, toning, bands and all. Maybe I should have sent this one to NGC in the first place. :-)
    imageimageimage

2. 1953-S PCGS MS66FB - $75

This better date issue in FB has a couple of interesting features. On the obverse there's what looks like a small spike coming out of the back of Roosvelt's head, possibly caused by a die chip. On the reverse there's a very prominent die crack running from the top through the final 'S' in 'STATES' to the top of the torch. The coin is all white save for a few small light tan toning spots on the obverse.

(will update with images)

3. 1954-S PCGS MS66FB, Missing 'JS' variety (Breen #3736) - $95

A blazing white Full Bands coin that also happens to be a rare variety, as catalogued in Walter Breen's Encyclopedia. The designer's initials were likely removed as a result of excessive polishing of the obverse die. What's good about it is that unlike other varieties you don't need a 10X magnifying loupe to see it! If it gets added to the Cherrypicker's Guide PCGS will attribute it on the holder.

imageimageimage

4. 1960 NGC PF68 Ultra Cameo - $39

No spots or haze, good contrast. A popular date in UCAM/DCAM, prices have been holding up very well during the current market downturn.

5. 1964-D PCGS MS66FB - $70

Blazing white w/Full Bands. There's a small die crack running from the reverse rim near 5:00 though the 'I' in 'DIME' and stopping at the bottom of the oak branch.

6. 1970-S PCGS PR68DCAM - $25

Better date in DCAM. No spots or haze, great contrast.

7. 1973-D NGC MS67 - $15

Bright and lustrous with a few tick marks.

8. 1979-D PCGS MS67 - $39

Nice coin with an overall very light gold color.

9. 1979-S Type 1 PCGS PR70DCAM - $75

Perfection.

- Bob

Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000(2x), SeaEagleCoins, sweetwilliet, piecesofme, MICHAELDIXON, lkeigwin, Gerard, THEGENERAL, ponderit, pursuitofliberty, AnkurJ, kryptonitecomics

Comments

• Options
    ttt
    - Bob

Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000(2x), SeaEagleCoins, sweetwilliet, piecesofme, MICHAELDIXON, lkeigwin, Gerard, THEGENERAL, ponderit, pursuitofliberty, AnkurJ, kryptonitecomics