Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need help identifying coin

Hi all. Can anyone help identify this coin? Is it a Royal Canadian Mint product (looks like one) or is it some privately struck piece similar to those one pound American Silver Eagle look-alikes?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the Canadian Maple Leafs I'm aware of have the 'Fine Silver' to the left of the leaf's stem and all $5 coins are 1 oz AG. I'm thinking this is not a Mint product.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't appear to be a Canadian Mint product. I think that privy mark will help you find your answer.

Here's the 1990 $5 released by RCM:

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Doesn't appear to be a Canadian Mint product. I think that privy mark is your answer. >>

That's what I was thinking, but the owner of the piece is pretty convinced he has some kind of trial strike. I reckon not.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Chris
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I considered that possibility, which would explain the high quality of the dies elements, however couldn't find anything on-line.
    Chris,
    I posted the image on the Canadian Coin Reference Site. Should get an answer tonight or tomorrow.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Excellent! I look forward to hearing what you find out. Many thanks!

Chris
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Looks like something the Washington Mint would have made.
    I asked over at the Canadian Coin Reference Site and they seem to think it is not a mint product but similiar to one of these.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Thank you for your efforts, Don. Makes sense that it's just some private silver round.

Chris