Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Harmon Killebrew Question

Why doesnt Harmon Killebrew have a 1957 Topps card?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I think I remember hearing something about a contract with Topps he wouldn't sign unless paid $X amount of dollars.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it was something along those lines.
  • mj23kg21mj23kg21 Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Harmon signed his professional contract in 1954 and received signing bonus of $50,000. Because his signing bonus was so high he was required to spend the first 2 years on the major league roster. As a 17 year old he wasn't ready for the majors yet. In 1956 right after the 2 year requirement was up Washington shipped him back to the minors where he spent most (not all) of the next 2 seasons. I am just guessing that because he was in the minors at this time Topps did not include him in the 1957 set. Harmon is and always has been total class!
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    My appologies, I was thinking of Stan Musial
  • What are you talking about Matt? I just scanned mine for you. image

• Love the Killebrew Doran!

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Doran, I wish he has a 1957 Topps card that looked like that. Thats Awesome looking!
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the Killebrew Doran! >>

Ditto...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • I thought you guys might like that one. image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My appologies, I was thinking of Stan Musial

Musial was under contract with the Rawlings co.

and could only be on Rawlings products. He is on a few others (red man)? because Rawlings allowed them the image.

Steve

edited: So to be clear it had nothing to do with wanting X amount of dollars from Topps.

He simply was under an exclusive contract which he signed with the Rawlings co.
    Good for you.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I'd be very content if we had two guys like Killebrew and Musial playing today - but could you pay them enough?

"Molon Labe"

• My father was a Killebrew fan. He admired the way he went about his business.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If you ever get to meet him you will find that he is the most down to earth man you could meet.

I remember on day back when I was about 9 or 10. The Yanks were playing the Twins and it was the

bottom of the ninth, Killer was up and the Twins were down by a run or 2 (I forget) I was listening to the game on the radio

and my dad said (while doing something else) "This guy is gonna hit a homer and the Twins will win the game" Sure enough Killer hits the homer,

the Twins win and I was amazed how my father knew.

I guess you had to be there.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd be very content if we had two guys like Killebrew and Musial playing today >>

You've just hit on exactly why I collect the players I do. Stan Musial, Harmon Killebrew, Brooks Robinson, Bob Gibson and Roberto Clemente are all guys that played the game the right way and gave back to the community. I wish i could have had the chance to have seen them play in person.