Home Sports Talk
Options

Saints defensive coordinator suggests they want to injure Peyton Manning........

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
During their march through the playoffs, the New Orleans Saints have battered and bruised (and nearly broken) two future Hall of Fame quarterbacks -- Kurt Warner of the Cardinals and Brett Favre of the Vikings.

They're now setting their sights on a third man whose oversized forehead eventually will be memorialized in bronze.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams recently told a Nashville radio station that the Saints plan to rattle Colts quarterback Peyton Manning by hitting him whenever they can, and that the goal is to knock him out of the game.

"This guy's got a great clock in his head," Williams told 104.5 The Zone, via ESPN.com. "The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

The Saints applied several "remember me" shots to Favre on Sunday, prompting many a Vikings fan to utter a phrase that for broadcast television purposes would be edited to sound like "forget you." One such hit to Favre's legs didn't draw a flag, even though NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted last night that a roughing the passer penalty should have been called.

And Williams won't be reeling in his troops for the Super Bowl. Instead, it sounds like he's willing to risk a few 15-yard walk-offs if it means that Manning eventually will be carted off the field.

"When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

You hope he doesn't get back up and play again. (We wonder what Archie thinks about his former team's objectives?)

In other words, "We'll gladly trade a penalty or two if it means that we get to see Curtis Painter instead of Peyton Manning."

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Well of any of you thought that personal foul penalty given to Brett Favre was a cheap flag, wait til you see the penalties called for Manning now.

That was a stupid effing thing for the coordinator to say. Just my two cents.

shawn
  • Options
    Not a good move at all. Personally I thought the hit on Favre where they went high/low should've been a flag. Either way I'll be cheering for Indy and appreciate the coordinator tipping off the league. In a game of this magnitude if a QB gets so much as touched I can see flags coming. Sounds to me like Williams is concerned about his defense getting torched next Sunday.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Maybe his comments are taken out of text maybe not however it is a completely stupid thing to say, like Manning needs to hear anything that will motivate him more?

I can see it now, Colts running up the score and completely embaressing the Saints D because of this.

I might be the only Patriot fan that actually likes Peyton Manning- I HATE his Brother Eli though!

I hope the Colts completely crush the Saints after reading this.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Referees read stuff like this. You may see more flags than usual. Not a smart move by the Saints guy even if his words were taken partly out of context which they may not have been. Colts are going to win the game. Like Namath said "I guarantee it".
  • Options
    Adding a little more to what I posted earlier I wonder if Williams has seen the stats from when a team blitzes Manning. Maybe that's why the Saints are 26th in pass defense.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<<And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again.">>>

It's hard to get a feel for what he meant by that sentence. I almost think there was either something he said before it or after it that would put it in its proper context.

Regardless of his intent, it's every coordinator's dream to knock out the starting QB. It probably cheapens the win a little bit (i.e. Alabama), but a few years from now nobody would care. Hell, I've almost already forgotten that McCoy was knocked out of the BCS title game.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classy guy, that Saints coach.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Do you have a article link?
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Like Gonblott said do you have the article link?

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I believe I read it on si.com.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy you guys are overreacting. That's what a defense is supposed to do to a QB as long as they are legit hits. I saw no dirty hits in the Minn. game. In fact, the late hit they called on one Saint was bogus. The guy was in the air as Favre let the ball go. What's he supposed to do....stop in mid air. Getting to Manning is the only way to beat the Colts unless you are good enough to trade points with him and hope you get the ball last.
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i> In fact, the late hit they called on one Saint was bogus. >>

• Options
    This is all the more reason when betting the over/under to take the 'over. Colts will be jacking the score in the 4th qtr! This game was already going to be a shoot-out.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Unncecessary comments. He must be getting full of himself, his tactics and his team. If you read the SI article this week and the story about Ronnie Lot, Dream On and purple baseball bats, it makes sense. However, not a good move. I'm sure the NFL will talk to him...guaranteed.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Psyche is part of the Game - as is Hype.

Taking a statement completely out of context is not at all uncommon. Even High School boys wanna bust the QB's ace.

The Saints are not dirty but they will swarm, gang tackle, swipe at the ball & bust you in the mouth - all totally legal in Football.

Dimeman and a couple others here have set the record straight.

There were no purposeful dirty blows administered - just straight up, all out Football.

Those of you that think the Saints have a weak defense need to go back & re-check the weekly numbers on their D.

They are going to The Super Bowl because THEY EARNED the #1 Seed!

Anyone who believes that Indy is going to blow New Orleans out - put your money where your mouths are.

You can all get all you want right here with ME!

Not only will Indy NOT blow N.O. out - New Orleans will win this Super Bowl & they'll do it the way they have all year long ....

as a Team on both sides of the ball AND on Special Teams.

Indy -5 = Sucker bet! I'll take the 5 with any & everybody that wants it AND I'll take the "Money Line" (the odds vs the points) - (Saints outright!)

Takers - state so publicly, then send me a PM. I'll respond publicly to all that do.

Money talks & BS Walks!

Indy has NOTHING on The Saints!

End of Story!image
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I saw no dirty hits in the Minn. game. In fact, the late hit they called on one Saint was bogus. >>>

I agree that the call they did make was bogus, but there was one that should have been called a few plays later when a Saints player dove at Favre's knees - clear "Brady rule" infraction not called.
  • Options
    Well, I must have missed that play. I first saw a real ticky tack call that should not have been made against the Saints involving the QB (Favre).

This play must have been discussed and perhaps had bearing on the "no call" you're referring to.

I like Favre because I know him personally. As a golfer of many years I'm notorious for calling things like I see them, starting with penalties I
    must invariably call on myself - even if an honest mistake.

Maybe I had left the room (I don't know) but I did not see any intentional, potentially career ending hits to the lower legs.

If you know the exact time it allegedly transpired, let me know and I'll have another look at it.
  • Options