Home Sports Talk
Options

Have you heard about the "LFL"; the self professed ultimate fantasy football?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just reading a story in the Orlando Sentinel about the President's decision to cut off funding for NASA programs designed to return astronauts to the moon, when at the bottom of the article was a link to the "LFL" homepage.

I clicked the link and was taken to the home page of the LFL, a new league with 10 football teams (5 in the east and 5 in the west).

The players on these teams are young, fit, trim, attactive women. The uniforms worn by the players consist of underwear (tops and bottoms), football shoes and socks, shoulder pads, elbow pads, knee pads and helmets.

The home page has a video feed of game action. The players are playing hard, tackle football. Check it out and see for yourself.

Fans are in the stands, devoted to the game and the plays taking place before their eyes. Fans are high fiving players as a play is completed and the players get up off of the turf and head back to the huddle for the next play.

I wonder how successful the LFL will be?

I wonder if the LFL teams have cheerleader squads? If so, are they female, male or both?

I wonder what the player contracts state regarding required uniforms, weight/body fat limits, makeup/hair requirements and player liability releases in favor of the team and the league for any injuries that a player sustains?

I wonder what the insurance policies obtained by the teams and the league state regarding coverage for player injuries and what the policy limits and policy premiums are?

I wonder if the LFL concept would ever be successful, financially or otherwise, if tried in men's professional football?

Could you imagine if the NFL instituted a rule where NFL players could only wear a jock strap, shoes, socks, knee pads, elbow pads, shoulder pads and helmets? Game injuries would explode overnight, with most of the injuries being ones where substantial amounts of skin are simply flayed from the underlying flesh, leaving gaping bloody wounds. Weight and body fat limitations, plus make up and hair requirments for NFL players (I do not think so)?

Some of the chiseled, ripped, 1% or less body fat players (i.e. Adrian Petersen) would probably garner cheers from the fans wearing such a uniform; but many players would not, especially the 350 - 380 pound offensive and defensive linemen who have the body structure of Jaba The Hut.

When I saw the LFL Homepage and checked it out, one of the first thoughts to enter my mind was a statement by Russian emigre comedian Yakoff Smirnoff (vintage 1980's comedian if I recall correctly) that he made quite frequently during his stand up routines in comedy clubs when talking about life in the USA. His line was "America,...................... What A Country" (said with a Russian accent and a look of wonder in his face image).

I agree with Yakoff. In regards to the LFL I can only say,....................America,...... What A Countryimage