Home Sports Talk
Options

Jim Thome is a Minnesota Twin !

Hey I'm trying to forget about football season, so give me a break. But this is a great pickup. No longer will we have Matt Tolbert, Brian Busher, Mike Redmond, etc batting off the bench !
Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I'm having flashes of 1988 pass through my mind.

• Options
    And will only get about 75 AB's this season.
  • Options
    Nice pick-up. He'll be a threat off the bench and force the opposing team to alter their strategy weather he puts up big #s or not.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Why he wouldn't want to go somewhere and DH every day is beyond me.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Why he wouldn't want to go somewhere and DH every day is beyond me. >>

He might feel like this is his best chance at being on a winning team. Would you rather be an everyday batter on a halfway decent team or be a bench player on a team that made the playoffs last year and has only gotten better since then?
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    rumor has it the Royals will be his next stop.....
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Who is the Twins' DH? Can't he DH full time?
  • Options
    I guarantee you he gets at least 300-400 Ab's this season.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>rumor has it the Royals will be his next stop..... >>

I'm for it. He'd be the new best player on the team.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>rumor has it the Royals will be his next stop..... >>

I'm for it. He'd be the new best player on the team. >>

only problem is they would have only one player on the field for defense, he'd be on the bench and Greinke would be on the mound....still would need a catcher even if he strikes everyone outimage
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    too bad the Indians didn't unload Hafner and pick him back up.

Hafner has been pathetic.
  • Options
    hafner must be off the juice.
  • Options
    The Twins shuffled around the DH alot last year. Kubel has a bad knee, so he DH'd a bit rather than play right field. Then we put alot of scrubs in at DH, and I do mean SCRUBS. So IMO we never really had a DH. This is a solid pickup.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to rain on your parade, and you Twins fans need a boost after the Vikes implosion...

Thome is perhaps half the player he once was. He's had back problems, whiffs a LOT and can only be used as a DH, his position player days are long gone. One need only google his stats to see what has happened in the last couple of years.

The pitching he's gonna face is not getting older or worse, but perhaps his bat speed may loose a step or two. No doubt with his homer record he'll make the HOFer, but one wonders why not go out on a high note as opposed to risking perhaps an embarrassing season? He's fallen a long way in terms of salary, surely he has enough coin in the bank to live an incredibly wonderful life and not worry about caring for his family, or risking listening to the boo birds when he doesn't come through in clutch situations.

I guess some guys just don't know when to walk away from the game.

However, I wish him well, and hope he measures up for the Twins faithful.
  • Options
    in limited at bats last year Thome still produced quite a few homeruns. He's had a bad back for about 10 years. At 39 i think they know exactly what they are getting.
  • Options
    Don't know if Hafner "was on the juice", but he has been injured the last three years big time.....supposedly from the local paper propaganda he's 100% this year so time will tell.....al.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe before Thome was traded he was on pace for right around 100 RBI's. He's not what he used to be; but still a decent DH. I just looked up his stats-- 23 HRS and 74 RBI's in 107 games. Actually, very good numbers.