Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Pardon my ignorance, but since when...

did PSA start including cards for insertion into Player sets of issues created after the players playing years, as in the case with Aaron...they just included three cards from 1977, one year after he retired?
I NEED HANKS!!!

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>did PSA start including cards for insertion into Player sets of issues created after the players playing years, as in the case with Aaron...they just included three cards from 1977, one year after he retired? >>

They recently changed their decision and decided to include cards from the year immediately after a player's retirement, as those cards generally are meant to commemorate the end of a career.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previously, cards from the year after the player retired were allowed on the registry, if the card had the player's stats from the previous year. This required the collector to send an email scan of the card to PSA, so they could verify that the stats were there.

Now, PSA allows all cards from the year following the player's retirement to be included in the registry, regardless of the stats. This greatly decreases workload, and makes it much easier on everyone.

Steve
  • Thanks for the insight guys, when did this come about?

Bradley
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the insight guys, when did this come about?

Bradley >>

I believe within the past six months.

Steve
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I think they made the announcement within the last two or three weeks, actually.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    FYI, this is the e-mail they sent out on December 16th that explains the change:

Dear Registry Member,

This is to notify you that we are making a small change to the player sets. Effectively immediately, we will add to the player set composites all cards that were manufactured one year past the player’s retirement. Previously, the only post-play cards accepted were those that had the player’s stats printed on the back of the card. We are making this change because cards, with or without stats, issued the year following retirement are meant to depict the player’s previous season.

This change applies to Baseball, Basketball, Football and Hockey player sets. (Miscellaneous Sports and Non-Sport player sets are open-ended.) The sets will be updated as requests are made and you will no longer be asked to send us a scan for these one year post-play cards. Please use the online request form to submit your request. If you had sent in a request for a post-play year addition and it was denied, you will need to re-submit your request. Cards will be added to sets in the order received. Currently, we are running approximately 6-8 weeks on player set updates.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us.

Thanks for your continuing support and happy holidays to you all!

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager
  • Thank you very much TheVon...somehow that email missed my in-box, very clear now.

Not that the Aaron Master Set was large enough, now even more to hunt for at an astounding 305 issues, compare that to number of required cards of other players of that era...Mantle at 208, Mays at 242, Clemente at 199 etc, really shows how much cards took off in the early to mid '70s especially with Regionals and Promos.

Bradley
    I NEED HANKS!!!