Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

cheap thrills, and a complaint

first the complaint: gotta love trying to search through a B&M's inventory for colonial 8r and having them broken down into country albums. they'd only give you 1 album at a time (which I understand). Laborious. I asked them about CAR and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I made up for it by snagging some cheapies that caught my eye!

This is a uniformly dark coin, but it came out light. for $10, no problem image

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Hey, nice skin on that Boliviano!

That's almost worth a Lord M's "you suck"image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I love the Mexican cents with the Aztec calendars on them.. I have started collecting these and have done quite well with them so far...
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

I'm a sucker for these Cap & Rays pieces of eight that were legal tender in the US and Texas at the time. I prefer those - like yours - that look like they bought a few bottles of whiskey or kegs of nails back in the day.

Santa Anna gave two of these coins (although of the Zacatecas mint), along with a serape, to each widow after the Alamo had fallen in early March of 1836. 46 days later, the Texian forces at San Jacinto took from Santa Anna's army as spoils of war some $12,000 in silver 8 reales coins of this type. The new Texas Republic used those coins to pay their militia soldiers and widows of deceased soldiers.

The reverse of your coin ...

Thanks for posting!

Edit to correct spelling