Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pretty or Ugly toning?

Picked this up on eBay with hopes that even at NGC AU means some luster (photos were showing a very dark XF details coin) and wasn't disappointed. Not going to try axial lighting with this, but when completely tilted towards the light - luster really shines through the toning. Now, if you know me you know that I like color on my coins. However, I haven't encountered many 200-year-old silver coins that had these shades of pink / blue / green (I don't think i've ever seen green on an 8 Reales).

Like it? Dislike it? Think it's AT?

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it better than mine which is quite excessive. Yours seems to be much more pleasant on the eyes with very nice detail on both obverse/reverse.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like yours, Zohar. Looks very original.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I'd vote not ugly but not one for me as I'm not a fan of blotchy or uneven toning. I do like the colours on it though.

I think it's NT.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not AT. Neither ugly nor pretty. Just toning.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I wouldn't call the coin ugly, but it isn't really to my taste either. I would pass on the coin if it were in a case at a show. I don't really care for the spotty toning. I can't afford an 8R that I really like.

That said, the coin is definitely not ugly. There are many ugly coins, but your coin is not one of them. It looks natural. Original. Nice.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather see it in hand first- not to be difficultimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This does remind me of an off topic story.

When I was living and teaching in Thailand, we had a lady from Burma, it was still called Burma back then, on the faculty. She spoke English OK but at times, understandably, got a little confused. One day I was kidding around with her and told her she was pretty ugly. She looked at me with a 'that's OK' look until someone else in our shared office told her that pretty in this case means very. She thought that I was both calling her pretty, and calling her ugly so it cancelled out to be looking OK. Ah! The English language.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled World coin topics.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was kidding around with her and told her she was pretty ugly. >>

You have a way with the ladies don't ya Don?image

With regard to the coin in question, I sort of like the toning. I'd call it "pleasant" for the type.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your comments. I'm starting to make my peace with the toning.

Don - that was a great story image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    This toning is not really my cup of tea - but not a negative either
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Not ugly but a little blotchy for my taste.