Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

bargain bin find....not uber cool but hey .15 cents

Well since the weather sucks and i make my living on rooftops i had a little free time today, went to the coin store with my lunch money...escaped the bullies, and with 5 dollars i got like 20 coins from the coin bargain bin. I never make big purchases on coins unless planned because the wife WILL hurt me if i do that, so i just made some cheap and fun picks out of the bargain bin. besides this one i also found an 1899 10 cent canadian, and a few mexican one cent 1903, and 1901 pick ups. Sometimes its fun to just literally roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty in those bargain bins.
theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going through the so called junque box is always fun- Boxes seem to take different shapes and amounts, but the fun is looking for coins that have merit to us as collectors

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

For those who don't like to click...
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another junk box junkie. Going through bargain bins is really a fun time, dirty, but fun.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Maybe it's not uber cool. but it is definately cool.
  • Options
    I enjoy the looks from the other collectors that come in to pick up thier Ben Franklins and Buffaloes, they see me elbow deep in a box that is usually shoved on a back table somewhere, and they see that the coins im digging for are foreign coins, its almost a look of pity. Just funny i think
    theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?
  • Options

<< <i>I enjoy the looks from the other collectors that come in to pick up thier Ben Franklins and Buffaloes, they see me elbow deep in a box that is usually shoved on a back table somewhere, and they see that the coins im digging for are foreign coins, its almost a look of pity. Just funny i think >>

Been there, done that. The sign of a true "collector".image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I get to go to a coin shop, (which is too rare for me) the first thing I look for is the so-called junk box.

Until this past Christmas when I recieved 3 pounds of assorted world coins, half my collection had been from "junk" boxes.

Like I've always said..."One man's trash is MY treasure!"
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i look though junk boxes and 10 cent boxes myself when in a coin shop, do find some interesting coins in those boxes
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Alas, there seem to be no more B&M's near me at all or with any junk boxes. The last one not too far has the same stuff every time now......... Otherwise, I'd be there full time digging thru the boxes!

Now most of my opportunities are at flea markets, if they're not pure junk or way overpriced........

I'd love to find some more sources, as even the local monthly coin show is bereft of true "bargain" boxes (now what they call "bargains" are their over-priced Lightside coins at 1/2-price off their incredible markups.....), and they wo't let this 51-year-old go thru the "YN" table anytime soon....image

In the meantime, welcome, ufdah! Turn on your PM & profile, so I and others can chat with you and maybe help feed your addiction!

I like the Netherlands coin in the pic, but really LOVE the 25 cent version of their wartime coin with the Viking ship on it! Hard to find in clean condition, since it's a Zinc coin, but I keep looking!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one of those Zinc 25 cent Netherlands coins. One of my relatives, most likely my paternal grandfather, brought it home from WWII.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the one!! And VERY NICE shape! Congrats!

I just find that design Soooooooooo Cooooooooooool !!!image