Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Alexander the Great Tetradrachm... how did I do?

I'm just starting out with ancients. I'm most attracted to the Greek tetradrachms. I picked this piece up at a show today for $875.... how did I do?

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Macedonian Kings, Alexander the Great

Will, this is a popular issue among collectors for both the size of the coin and the design elements.
    Although not "common" by today's standards, they seem to be relatively available in the market.
    The price you paid seems pretty good for what appears to be an Unc/AU specimen.

• Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I say you did .... A+image
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about ancients but I really like the design of that one. Amazing detail.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin- not sure of the value- maybe CIVITAS, among others, will help on that score

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Nice piece. I think you did great.
    I don't have a copy of the 'Price' book to lookup the mint.
    Was the mint location listed on the flip, as I don't recognize the circle under the chair
    and nothing in the field under the eagle.

Here's a good Alexander website

And ocourse the Alex III link on Windwinds
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know anything on ancients but that is a nice looking coin.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.
    Even with slight obv offset I'd say that piece looks 'well centered' from the way it was struck.
    Great detail on the portrait and an amazing reverse..
    Any idea which mint?
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever reference help this might be, I bought this one 9 years ago for $225:
    When in doubt, don't.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    That's a theta underneath the throne. Style is Macedonian, probably Amphipolis or Pella mint.

Nice detail and extremely well centered reverse. Looks to be good metal and nice style.

Did you buy from a reputable source? The graininess and softness of the reverse bother me just a touch. I see no problems with the obverse, so maybe it's just illusion/compression/lighting from the digital photo that is throwing my eye off a bit.

I can see a coin of this quality selling for 500-700 euros at auction, so $875 is a fair price.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

• << <i>That's a theta underneath the throne. Style is Macedonian, probably Amphipolis or Pella mint.

Nice detail and extremely well centered reverse. Looks to be good metal and nice style.

Did you buy from a reputable source? The graininess and softness of the reverse bother me just a touch. I see no problems with the obverse, so maybe it's just illusion/compression/lighting from the digital photo that is throwing my eye off a bit.

I can see a coin of this quality selling for 500-700 euros at auction, so $875 is a fair price. >>

Yes, it's from a very reputable source. The graininess on the reverse is a result of lighting---for the obverse pics I used two 100 watt bulbs, and I didn't use them for the reverse shot (they caused too much glare).
  • This is a coin from Alexander's homeland of Macedonia. The late Martin Price, the still reigning arbiter of coins Alexander, gives it to Macedonia's capital of Pella and dates it to c. 325-315 BC. which means it could have been minted slightly before his death in 323 BC or afterward. Price felt Alexander's main Macedonia mint was in Amphipolis, site of an important Macedonian naval base during Alexander's lifetime. Your coin can be attributed as Price 214 and SNG Cop. 710.

Georges Le Rider, the great French numismatist, on the other hand believes that all of Alexander's Macedonian silver tetradrachms, including your piece, were minted at Amphipolis, with his Macedonian gold coinage minted at Pella. So you can attribute your coin either way, or more broadly just to Macedonia since the jury is still out, though most collectors and dealers still follow Price.

Good preservation, slightly off centered obverse (not a big distraction at all), attractive styling, particularly the flamboyantly rendered reverse. Nice coin, overall, a worthy centerpiece to a newly formed collection.