Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Things from the San Jose Coin Show / medals + world gold

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can honestly say, is ... WOW. Love the city view piece!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    The city view medal is a 59mm silver medal. Something related to the Reformation Centennial in Geneva Switzerland. It was made in 1735. I have little information on it; perhaps someone here can fill us/me in. This is the piece that really grabbed me after looking through the show for various medals and things.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful pieces...and a Napoleon Gold too!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick ups -

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the depictions of the galleys in the lake on the Geneva piece fascinating, I always thought those were more of a Mediterranean thing. BTW the Cologne medal is lovely too, I went through the Koln Dom years ago, it is amazing that it survived WWII largely intact.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice, Impressive pieces. Love the City View also. imageBICENTENARY OF THE GENEVAN REFORMATION
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Adam, looks like you had a good day at the show.image
    If only that Napoleon 40 Lire could tell us some stories of where it's been ?
  • Options
    I sold a piece at FUN that I think is the same as your first pic. Mine was 54mm, AR, and bought with the following attributions: Zak-136(but AE), Belli-2023, and Whiting-476. I didn't look those up myself but maybe it's a start. Mine was nice VF (would slab American XF40 or so) and went to a Swiss dealer for $350. Before I sold it I did a bit of cursory internet research, but all I came up with were bronze examples. Could you doublecheck and see if yours is yours really 59mm? All the examples I researched were described as 53-54.

Aaron
  • Options

<< <i>I sold a piece at FUN that I think is the same as your first pic. Mine was 54mm, AR, and bought with the following attributions: Zak-136(but AE), Belli-2023, and Whiting-476. I didn't look those up myself but maybe it's a start. Mine was nice VF (would slab American XF40 or so) and went to a Swiss dealer for $350. Before I sold it I did a bit of cursory internet research, but all I came up with were bronze examples. Could you doublecheck and see if yours is yours really 59mm? All the examples I researched were described as 53-54.

Aaron >>

I put it near a 59mm Jacques Wiener medal, and you are correct; this medal is somewhat smaller. It's not 59mm. I do not have a metric ruler handy, but a diameter of 54mm looks about right, when compared with a known 59mm medal.
  • Options

I really love the first one in your pictures - any more info on it?

Shep
  • Options

<< <i>I really love the first one in your pictures - any more info on it?

Shep >>

The Ben Weiss "historicalartmedals" art website seems to have the best information for someone who is lazy like me and doesn't want to search further...

<< <i>
    BICENTENARY OF THE GENEVAN REFORMATION

DASSIER, Jean: Swiss, 1735, Bronze, 55 mm
    Obv: Aerial view of Geneva and harbor, city and hills in the background and barges on the lake. The sun bearing the monogram of Christ IHS emits rays which dissipate the clouds. POST TENEBRAS LUX (After the Darkness, the Light)
    Exergue: CELEBRATA ANNO GENEVÆ REFORMATÆ CENTESIMO M.DCC.XXXV (Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the Reformation in Geneva 1735)
    Rev: Geneva wearing a crown, is discarding the yoke and shackles of Ignorance. To her right is a shield bearing the arms of Geneva. Her arms are outstretched in adoration of Truth, descending from heaven holding a palm and the Bible. VERITAS LIBERAVIT VOS (The Truth Shall Make You Free)
    Exergue: IUBILEMUS DOMINO (Let Us Rejoice in the Lord)
    Signed: J. DASSIER
    Edge: THEOPHILE COUTEAU (in script)
    From Jean Dassier’s Geneva Series
    Ref: Forrer I, p. 515 (illustrated); Thompson 46/02; Haller II, 1912; Whiting Collection 63/477; Europese Penningen # 1855; Eisler II, 94/2

The Reformation was a movement to reform the Roman Catholic church. It was prompted by discontent with the church, its clergy, doctrine and practices. The reformation was a revolt not only against the doctrinal authority of the church, it was also a protest against the interference of the church in secular matters and the questionable activities of the clergy, notably the sale of indulgences and holy relics. The start of the Reformation is traditionally dated from 1517, when Martin Luther published his Ninety-five Theses. Other powerful reformers appeared in Switzerland, including Ulrich Zwingli in Zurich and, later, the more radical Frenchman John Calvin in Geneva. This medal commemorates the 200th anniversary of the Reformation in Geneva. (From Encyl. World Hist).
    >>