Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A bad thing about keeping your psa sets hidden

I don't check where I stand on most of my PSA sets...but have had the #1 raiders set for 2 years now. Just got passed by dieharddavid.
His sets are hidden......I would actually like to just give him some well deserved congats...and no way to send him a message...so if you read these boards. congrats.
Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Which Raiders set? This is an interesting topic for a number of reasons.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    The all time raiders set
    Its cards from raiders going back into the 60's.
    to find....football...key card sets....all time raiders
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Shows where my mind is at I thought you were referring to Sea Raiders i.e. Pirate R cards from the 1930's.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    Found it. Very nice. I enjoyed all of the scans. For my top sets, I try to scan every card as well. For what it's worth, I try to ignore the hidden sets. There are a number of them for the sets I collect as well. What's the point of hiding the set? 'Look what I have and you don't?' If it's a privacy issue, just don't 'publish' the set. I am pretty sure you can track your cards without doing this.

• Options

<< <i>Found it. Very nice. I enjoyed all of the scans. For my top sets, I try to scan every card as well. For what it's worth, I try to ignore the hidden sets. There are a number of them for the sets I collect as well. What's the point of hiding the set? 'Look what I have and you don't?' If it's a privacy issue, just don't 'publish' the set. I am pretty sure you can track your cards without doing this. >>

I agree.

What you guys think about retired sets still being listed? I feel if it's retired or broke up then it should not be listed. I guess that's why list All-Time and Current.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point of the retired sets my self. The same cards could be sold 5 times to different owners and they would all be on the all time list. If the sets been sold then it should be removed from the registry all together. At least thats how I feel.
  • Options
    I agree...there are many sets that have been retired and the same cards are listed in all sets...what's the point? They may not be in the current list...but the are in the "all time" list...and yes they can be in 2-3-4 or more sets...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had this discussion in the Ripken Set thread, because the guy with the #1 Basic Ripken Set has his hidden. I emailed him and asked him why he had it hidden, and he said some PSA submitters/sellers would look at sets and see which cards someone needs, then sells those cards at an extra-high starting price, knowing full well they're desperate for the card. As much as I HATE hidden sets, I can see his point. I know for a fact that it's cost me hundreds more dollars for having my set visible, than it would have if nobody knew what I really needed. Why else would a seller start a card like a 1996 Studio Ripken PSA 10 for $99.99? Because he knows I and a couple others would bid on it. For the record, I'm not touching that card for $99.99. If it was $49.99, that would be a different story. image
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    What's the point of hiding the set? 'Look what I have and you don't?' If it's a privacy issue, just don't 'publish' the set. I am pretty sure you can track your cards without doing this.

I will try to stay positive in my response
    When you have to pay several hundred dollars more on cards multiple times you will quickly realize the point. In reality I don't care if your set is better or worse than mine. I really don't see the notion that by hiding your set it is a 'Look what I have and you don't? issue. Some people could argue by showing your set you would be flaunting.

I am not competing against anyone else but myself and my ability to have the maximum discretionary cash to blow on baseball cards. If by not making my set available to the public allows me have more to spend on my cards it only makes sense not to show your set. If 99% of the community would be applauding your accomplishments, but 1% would using the information against you financially it is much better to error on the side of conservatism.

I do not have the deep pockets of Dimitri Young or Mr. Spence. Could I inventory my cards without the registry? Sure, but the registry is a benefit in case of a stolen item.

I will agree 100% on the retired set. You sold the card (and yes they do end up on multiple retired sets) and took the money. Now leave it to the active collectors.
  • Options
    As if the czar was reading my mind.
    Another point that was made a few years ago.....biddder just "bidding up" cards that a fellow collector needed and was bidding on.
    However with the ability to watch auctions and snipe at the last minute that has beed drastically reduced.

Nothing is ever perfect.

For me I enjoy The nice comments and fellow comradery that the registry offers. I enjoy scanning and keeping track of my collection.
    You can't get a beter record.

The one down factor....when I hget emails from sellers like, I'll trade my psa 4 this and psa 3 that for your psa 9....Does it look like they fall into my collecting realm????
    So lets open up those sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    A few years ago I had the 19th ranked 54-55 Topps Hockey set with a grade weight of 6.00. I needed money so I broke up the set, sold it and retired. I decided to build it again. I'm picking up cards, sets going good for me. I buy card #11 Andy Bathgate PSA 5 but I can't list it, so I call PSA and ask them what the deal was. They told me that the same card was listed on my retired set. The only way for me to list that card was for PSA to delete my old set.

I thought it was kinda funny that I sold the card and a year later I bought the same card on ebay.

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had this discussion in the Ripken Set thread, because the guy with the #1 Basic Ripken Set has his hidden. I emailed him and asked him why he had it hidden, and he said some PSA submitters/sellers would look at sets and see which cards someone needs, then sells those cards at an extra-high starting price, knowing full well they're desperate for the card. As much as I HATE hidden sets, I can see his point. I know for a fact that it's cost me hundreds more dollars for having my set visible, than it would have if nobody knew what I really needed. Why else would a seller start a card like a 1996 Studio Ripken PSA 10 for $99.99? Because he knows I and a couple others would bid on it. For the record, I'm not touching that card for $99.99. If it was $49.99, that would be a different story. image >>

I'm collecting sets for our 5 sons and some for me as well. Two sets , the 1983 and 1984 Topps baseball sets , although not worth a great deal, both are at very high completion , with very high GPA's. I have fellow collectors that will bid only on the cards that they know I need. One even stated that it was the only way to keep me from reaching the top. I have seen some of the #2's and #3's ranked set collectors buy cards they already have , because they know I need them. ---- They have that right.

Sellers do the very same thing. Way overpriced BIN's or starting prices , with the hope that I will bite.

I've already started submitting myself , as with 5 sons , money doesn't grow on trees ; at least for me.

The sets for my sons will be finished.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have had this discussion in the Ripken Set thread, because the guy with the #1 Basic Ripken Set has his hidden. I emailed him and asked him why he had it hidden, and he said some PSA submitters/sellers would look at sets and see which cards someone needs, then sells those cards at an extra-high starting price, knowing full well they're desperate for the card. As much as I HATE hidden sets, I can see his point. I know for a fact that it's cost me hundreds more dollars for having my set visible, than it would have if nobody knew what I really needed. Why else would a seller start a card like a 1996 Studio Ripken PSA 10 for $99.99? Because he knows I and a couple others would bid on it. For the record, I'm not touching that card for $99.99. If it was $49.99, that would be a different story. image >>

I'm collecting sets for our 5 sons and some for me as well. Two sets , the 1983 and 1984 Topps baseball sets , although not worth a great deal, both are at very high completion , with very high GPA's. I have fellow collectors that will bid only on the cards that they know I need. One even stated that it was the only way to keep me from reaching the top. I have seen some of the #2's and #3's ranked set collectors buy cards they already have , because they know I need them. ---- They have that right.

Sellers do the very same thing. Way overpriced BIN's or starting prices , with the hope that I will bite.

I've already started submitting myself , as with 5 sons , money doesn't grow on trees ; at least for me.

The sets for my sons will be finished. >>

Good for you

• Options
    My 2 cents:

1) If you want to hide your set, hide it. If you want to show your set, show it. Pluses and minuses in both directions as previously highlighted. My own opinion - I prefer to show my sets (for now) - I like the opportunity to purchase a card someone contacts me about. If I feel they are asking too much, I pass. Attempted price inflation accepted.

2) I like the idea of the retired sets being included in the "all time" finest list. While I accept the problem of a card(s) being included in multiple sets on the list (perhaps a rule stating there must be at least 5%? 10%? difference from a retired set to a current set). For someone who has built a top set and decides it's time to get out, it is a nice "trophy" to look back and see your set on the all time finest list. Full disclosure - I do not have any retired sets yet.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Half the fun of being on the registry for me is scanning my cards and being able to show my collection to friends at work on the computer or to just look over my inventory. I have had people offer to sell me low pop commons, but if I feel the price is too high I decline and just wait a little longer.
    I appriciate people that scan their sets, because I don't know what some of the obscure cards look like.
  • Options

<< <i>I will try to stay positive in my response
    When you have to pay several hundred dollars more on cards multiple times you will quickly realize the point. In reality I don't care if your set is better or worse than mine. I really don't see the notion that by hiding your set it is a 'Look what I have and you don't? issue. Some people could argue by showing your set you would be flaunting.

I am not competing against anyone else but myself and my ability to have the maximum discretionary cash to blow on baseball cards. If by not making my set available to the public allows me have more to spend on my cards it only makes sense not to show your set. If 99% of the community would be applauding your accomplishments, but 1% would using the information against you financially it is much better to error on the side of conservatism.

I do not have the deep pockets of Dimitri Young or Mr. Spence. Could I inventory my cards without the registry? Sure, but the registry is a benefit in case of a stolen item.

>>

Thanks for the response. I do appreciate the different viewpoints. I tend to agree with your comments. However, these are all arguments as to why you should never 'publish' the set. If you have worries about cards being bid up and if you are only competing against yourself anyway, there is simply no reason to ever publish the set. You can track all of your cards and even get the sets weighted value on the PSA site. You are protected from the 'stolen item' issue whether you publish or do not publish. You should remain as stealth as possible and not let anyone know that you even collect the set.

The original poster was disappointed that someone was out putting the set together and did not publish the set until they had the number one set. While this may be perfectly 'legal', if you will, it is certainly against the spirit of a good competition. I can understand why the original poster was disappointed.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I have seen some of the #2's and #3's ranked set collectors buy cards they already have , because they know I need them. ---- They have that right.

>>

am I crazy or is this literally just throwing money away?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I have seen some of the #2's and #3's ranked set collectors buy cards they already have , because they know I need them. ---- They have that right.

>>

am I crazy or is this literally just throwing money away?
    John >>

Its their money. On the 84 set , I know the guy well. He's joked many times about keeping me from getting a card he knew I needed. The 84's , I've decided to get them graded my self , so that set is open. The 83's are a different story .

Again , its their money and right.--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I show all of my sets and scan all of my cards in those sets. I have worked hard on my collection and want to show my efforts. I have a lot of fun collecting and being a part of the registry.

If you can't have fun collecting, then why collect at all.

Logan
  • Options
    mr cards 651
    you have it all wrong.
    I am in no competition with anyone at any time. Only for what I like to collect. I am happy others like to collect similar cards.
    I merely would have liked to have given congrats and cannot with a hidden set.
    The collector still has a hidden set and that is OK with me. I am just as happy in 2nd as 1st.

In fact I am part of the fb rc set where we often help each other out all the time. Even the BB post war set is getting more 'friendly.'
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I hear you, Jay. Sorry to have misinterpreted your original post. Overall, the Set Registry has provided a lot of enjoyment for me and I agree that it is more fun when others have similar collecting interests. - Kevin
  • Options
    I'm with Jay and any collector who enjoys a bit of banter about a particular set. I could care less whether I ever get to 1st but like to track how close I am to getting the set completed. I actually hate the fact the registry only counts PSA graded cards -- as I also collect SGC. I live in Australia so it's almost impossible to find like-minded collectors.

There seems to be a very good and close knit community in all 4 HOF RC sets, which makes putting together the cards more enjoyable.

I don't have any objection to listing "retired" sets -- it's like a trophy on the mantle. Truth be told, once I complete a set along the original grade I was attempting I plan on starting new ones. Can't see my self ever retiring a set - I'll leave that to my kids when they decide the old man gets put to pasture.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    VCP lets you track PSA and SGC in the same group or set. Might be something to check out.

Jeremy

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Even more annoying is having to look at the same set twice in the rankings. For example, in one of my team sets, the number one guy is under a name that is nearly identical to the retired number two guy. When you look at the set listings, all of the retired sets of guy #2 are almost identical to the inventory of guy #1. Can't figure out why that would be done, but in the all-time rankings it pushes me down one more notch for the same guy registering his set twice.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Thanks Jeremy. I've also created my own spreadsheet with all card details and pop counts. Bloody pain in the ass but for some reason incredibly satisfying. My wife thinks I'm the world's biggest dork but it also takes her mind away from the card budget.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    I was just thinking:

If a competitive registry collector bids up cards in an attempt to prevent another from adding it to their set -- but that person already has it in SGC -- does anyone actually see the money burning?

That would be funny.
  • Options

<< <i>I was just thinking:

If a competitive registry collector bids up cards in an attempt to prevent another from adding it to their set -- but that person already has it in SGC -- does anyone actually see the money burning?

That would be funny. >>

You might not see it but you'll smell it image

• Options

<< <i>I don't check where I stand on most of my PSA sets...but have had the #1 raiders set for 2 years now. Just got passed by dieharddavid.
    His sets are hidden......I would actually like to just give him some well deserved congats...and no way to send him a message...so if you read these boards. congrats. >>

I'm not sure what the issue here is with contacting DieHardDavid. His e-mail link is open so you can send him an e-mail no problem. Just click on the icon next to his set in the registry list.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    The greatest thing about our hobby is the diversity. From the diversity of the people who collect to the cards themselves, there's a near-infinite number of variations of cards, sets, and collectors. Everyone collects for different reasons be it to remember a particular set from when you were younger, to the competition of putting together the best set, or just the friendships that have evolved from the collecting. If someone wants to hide their set, then understand their reasons for collecting (and not publishing) their set are going to be different than yours. It makes it no less valid or important simply because they don't share the same reasons as you.

Instead of bickering about people 'hiding' their sets (and their possible motivations) let's instead celebrate our diversity, celebrate our differences. Its the one commonality all collectors share is that we are indeed different.

I, personally, have my sets listed and open but I understand the reasons involved for those who wish to hide them (fear of being bid up on cards they need, etc.)
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    The greatest thing about our hobby is the diversity. From the diversity of the people who collect to the cards themselves, there's a near-infinite number of variations of cards, sets, and collectors. Everyone collects for different reasons be it to remember a particular set from when you were younger, to the competition of putting together the best set, or just the friendships that have evolved from the collecting. If someone wants to hide their set, then understand their reasons for collecting (and not publishing) their set are going to be different than yours. It makes it no less valid or important simply because they don't share the same reasons as you.

well said Bcarlton. Kind of left wing kumbya-ish with the diversity part of it (no personal offense intended) but everyone does has a registry for a reason. i have some sets open (the ones i putz around with when i have a few extra bucks and nothing else is available) and then i have closed sets that will be open some day when i get to my goal.

• Options
    Thanks to 41goudtguy...I didn't realize that I could email someone w/o an open set.
    Well I sent the #1 guy a congrats email...and we have had several pleasant exchanges...true raiders fans from way back.
    So for me this thread turned out to be a success.

As stated before I couldn't care if someones elses set is open or not.

My registry is a great way for inventory record keeping. Like the man from australia..my wife cares nothing about cards.
    Few people I know care either. The internet has killed all the local shops and shows. Years ago they were like "meeting places"
    and many of us would gather to B.S.

I enjoy the ability to see others cards..esp when its one I can't afford to buy myself......
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Thanx for the kudo's Jay....much appreciated. Yes I'm #1 for now...but your right on my heels, probably a card away from going back to #1. For the record all my sets are not hidden....if you bring up the All-time Raiders set, for example, and hit "Raiderz sets" you can see the sets that I have published. I publish sets once I've reached my goal for that set. I know everyone is different in the way they handle their set collecting and I respect that. I'm hoping that this year I will be able to find the time to also add scans to my sets.....just a little too busy with other priorities. I've only been collecting graded cards for 4 years and love it! Also, access to me via email is available on ALL my sets. Good Luck on your sets and Happy Collecting! David...
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Well I have been watching Jay slowly climb into that #1 spot,was a good run Jay.
    This is one of the good guys in our hobby,belive me.Being the #3 guy seeing these two
    go back and forth has been fun,I always thought it would be cool to see what david did to
    reclaim that top spot,because Jays set I thought was untouchable at#1,well I also would
    like to congratulate David,he is diehard,knocks me off my stabler,biletnikoff,etc..If
    only we could get a team like the guys we collect!Good luck to the both of you,
    unless
    I hit the lotto.I will take my 3rd. and be happy!

J.R.
    housefullofcards386
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Thanx J.R......much appreciated!!!