Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Weights in set registry

I understand the concept on rarer coins having higher weights

but do they adjust these every so often to match the populations?

or is it the populations in upper conditions?

As an example, the war nickel set ->

Set Composition
Issue Weight FS Bonus
1942-P Type 2 3.00 2
1942-S 3.00 2
1943-P 2.00 2
1943-D 1.00 2
1943-S 2.00 2
1944-P 2.00 2
1944-D 2.00 2
1944-S 2.00 2
1945-P 2.00 2
1945-D 2.00 2
1945-S 2.00 2

Divisor: 23.00

Comments

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know they adjust the weights every so often for some series but am unsure about the criteria they use.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe the weights have anything to do with the populations reports. Just the perceived history of scarcity.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been told by PCGS employees that value plays a huge role in setting the weights.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I believe for the most part it's the price of the coins in low-mid mint state. At least this is what I've been told for seated dollars but it might vary based on series?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to highjack the thread, but when do they get around to weighting the sets?

Also, when do they give out those cool little top set of the year awards image? Is there a minimum percentage complete needed to obtain it?

Reference... I have a registry mint set, although not mint state, that is in the number one position (1875). The other sets posted have very low percentages completed. The set is not weighted.
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to highjack the thread, but when do they get around to weighting the sets?

Also, when do they give out those cool little top set of the year awards image? Is there a minimum percentage complete needed to obtain it?

Reference... I have a registry mint set, although not mint state, that is in the number one position (1875). The other sets posted have very low percentages completed. The set is not weighted. >>

when do they get around to weighting the sets? ***** When they feel like it. They prioritize their workload, but unknown how.

when do they give out those cool little top set of the year awards? ***** Some time in July I think. They will let you know by announcement by June 30.

Is there a minimum percentage complete needed to obtain it? ***** I believe the set has to be at least 85% complete & #1. You may want to read the "Awards Section".

Look Here Awards

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoveMyLiberty, Thanks for the info and the link. That answered most of my questions.