Home Sports Talk

NASCAR to get more nastycar, and I like it!

CONCORD, N.C. -- NASCAR plans to relax some rules this season and encourage drivers to be more aggressive and show more emotion.

NASCAR chairman Brian France says the goal is to "open it up" as an answer to criticism that the sport has grown stale.

Television ratings and attendance have slumped in recent years and NASCAR has held a series of meetings with its competitors to determine how best to improve the sport.

In addition to some internal restructuring and a transition from a wing to a spoiler on the race car, NASCAR will now permit bump-drafting at Daytona and Talladega and more contact on the race track.

France says NASCAR wants the drivers "mixing it up."
collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

Comments

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    they should allow the drivers to participate in free form martial arts after the races are over. That way you get the NASCAR crowd and the MMA crowd to watch.

Oh wait....the same people already watch. oh well
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they should allow the drivers to participate in free form martial arts after the races are over. That way you get the NASCAR crowd and the MMA crowd to watch.

Oh wait....the same people already watch. oh well >>

ROFL!
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the restrictor plate.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the restrictor plate.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That is what makes Dega and Daytona so much fun. The restrictor plate keeps them bunched up and makes for some compelling racing. Before the RP, there would be one or two stronger cars that would lap the field, which makes for a boring race. Believe me, I've been attending Dega races since the 70's.

Not to mention the safety factor. I was not far from where Bobby Allison took out the front stretch catch fence which led to RPs. Without RPs the cars would go to fast. They would begin to fly when spinning at 220, which is not good for spectators.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    The drivers always complain about the plate. If you are slow- too bad.