Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A Special (30) Piece PR69DCAM State Quarter Set

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone. I had orders this week to create (3) 1999-2001 PCGS-PR69DCAM (30) piece complete State Quarter sets. The sets contain all silver and clad PCGS-PR69DCAM states from 1999-2001 complete. More importantly, the sets contain HANDPICKED coins with a focus on spot-free, haze-free examples with deep cameos. Since I was building (3) of these sets already, I made (4) sets. I now have -1- set available of the 30 piece PCGS-PR69DCAM state quarters (silver and clad) available for a board member priced at $750 for the (30) coin lot delivered.

No doubt you could locate average quality coins for a bit less (in fact, I have culled out the low end stuff and if anyone wants those pieces at a super low price, just PM me), but it is getting more difficult and more difficult to put together haze and spot free coins with strong DCAM+ surfaces overall.

This set is subject to prior sale. PM me if you are interested in this state quarter set. Wondercoin.
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    So, here you go. A sincere offer for the coin, or the slab. It is up to you, as always. image
    I'm sure the price is right. image
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. The set just sold.

If anyone else has interest in a set, just PM me and allow an extra 7-10 days for delivery. The coins generally are selected from the top 10-15% of the pieces I see - the "filet" if you will. But, I also have the "bottom 25%" which I can offer anyone at unheard of low prices. PM me if you are interested in those as well, as the "chuck roast" says the same thing on the holder as the "porterhouse". I'm just serving the role of the "USDA" here image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be the day when a PCGS PR69 anything was a GREAT coin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Pat: You are absolutely right and, imho, I'll tell you what I think.

The grading of PR69DCAM coins is still A#1!! What happens after that though is where the coin potentially suffers.

The graders hand-select the 69 quality coins (and do a great job of it - if anything being too particular these days) and send them off to be sealed. The sealer then handles the coin to put it into the slab. TROUBLE!! Prints, BREATHE ON THE COIN leading to haze and all the other hazards. I am convinced it is in this sealing stage that the coins are at the greatest risk.

Result: Like any other coins, there are PR69.1 and PR69.9 coins. Then, throw into the equation the delicate nature of the coins having to handle the "sealing stage" and you really do have a wide range between "low end PR69" and "high end PR69". image Wondercoin.

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    wondercoin,

Do you know if PCGS has addressed this problem in any way or don't they even consider this to be an issue? I have always wondered how they put the coins in those soft plastic rings (especially very small coins) without touching the coins surface in some way. I always pictured in my mind that the sealing room at PCGS was like an operating room with trained professionals handling and encapsulating each coin like it was the 'Star of India' diamond. Now, I'm beginning to think it's more like a bunch of teenagers working the nightshift at a fast food place. I have seen an alarming number of PCGS coins (including a couple of my own)with partial thumbprints around the edges that makes me firmly believe this must be happening during the sealing process at PCGS, as I can't believe the graders would be doing this.

Can you comment on whether you also believe this to be a very serious problem and if steps are being taken to address it?

Dragon
  • Options
    Dragon: My objective here is not to bash the sealers at any of the grading services. I just believe this is where there is "the weakest link". Now, in the case of these proof modern coins, bear in mind that the haze or print could equally come from these sources:

1. The submitter himself touching or breathing on the coin and the print or haze not showing up for a month until after the coin is returned to the submitter.

2. Simply the coin reacting to the air at the time it is broken out of the proof set.

As you see, it is a "burden of proof" problem. My guess is PCGS perceives the problems to be caused by the submitters in most cases. Luckily, with most silver coins, the problem can often be easily resolved. Not so with copper, which is a major reason I decided not to extensively collect them personally in high $$ grades. image Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Wonderboy : SHAAAAAAAAAH!