Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best Fiction/Novels with Coin Collecting Themes

Okay, part of this is a blatant attempt to promote my own young adult novel "Double Eagle", BUT really what got me thinking was finishing "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks. In it, a Dad with Asperger's Disease is an avid coin collector, which PO's the son until he learns from his perfect girlfriend what is going on. It's not a GREAT coin novel and is very schmaltzy, but would be of interest to some. He throws a lot of names around like Legend and PCGS and greysheet, which indicate he did some research, but may not really know coins in depth. In fact, my biggest disappointment was that he didn't give details of Dad's collection--just alluded to the fact that it was very valuable.

Anyone here have a favorite or interesting coin FICTIONAL read?
Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Comments

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Hmmmm...Breen's "Encyclopedia?" Well---it's part fiction....
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmm...Breen's "Encyclopedia?" Well---it's part fiction.... >>

RWB - why don't you write an updated and corrected version of Breen's Encyclopedia?
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A short story rather than a novel but the best fiction with a coin collecting backround that I've read is the Hugo award winning "The Woodrow Wilson Dime" by Jack Finney.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....one of the scenes in "Somewhere in Time" is very coin related.

Christopher Reeve manages some type of psychic time travel, journeys back to 1912 where he meets (again) an actress and falls in love etc etc.

all is going quite peachy until he pulls a Lincoln Memorial penny out of his pocket.

Game over. *(period}*
  • Options
    This one isn't directly related to coin collecting but it's close.

Edgar Allen Poe's "The Gold Bug".

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I could only update portions. Others could certainly do the same, but there would have to be some deep pockets behind the project due to cost - even if it were an electronic version.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I could only update portions. Others could certainly do the same, but there would have to be some deep pockets behind the project due to cost - even if it were an electronic version. >>

The effort is probably better spent doing a series of books - a la RWB's Peace Dollar guide book, etc. I'd rather see a well-footnoted series as opposed to trying to cram all the information into one book.
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, part of this is a blatant attempt to promote my own young adult novel "Double Eagle", BUT really what got me thinking was finishing "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks. In it, a Dad with Asperger's Disease is an avid coin collector, which PO's the son until he learns from his perfect girlfriend what is going on. It's not a GREAT coin novel and is very schmaltzy, but would be of interest to some. He throws a lot of names around like Legend and PCGS and greysheet, which indicate he did some research, but may not really know coins in depth. In fact, my biggest disappointment was that he didn't give details of Dad's collection--just alluded to the fact that it was very valuable.

Anyone here have a favorite or interesting coin FICTIONAL read? >>

My wife read Lawrence Block's book, The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza (1980). I haven't, but she said he mentions Walter Breen and Don Taxay in it. Block worked for Whitman in Racine for a short time in the 1960s.
  • Options
    The best fiction numismatic book that I've read is the 1942 book called "The High Window" (original title was The Brasher Doubloon) by Raymond Chandler.

In the text, he outlines the process for making exact copies of Brasher Doubloons!
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sons got a kick reading The Hardy Boys "The Melted Coins". It was a gift from Notlogical.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I know you didn't ask for movies, but Clint Eastwood, in Absolute Power, was a professional thief who, while pilferring a coin collection, witnessed the president murder somebody.
    Paul
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting conversation along similar lines ---->

I found it while Googling "The Woodrow Wilson Dime."

• Options
    Don't judge by the movie, but Clive Cussler's "Sahara" was a good read. The sub-plot was tracking down an ironside ship loaded with Confederate gold double eagles minted during the war (Presumably at New Orleans). They were moved to keep them out of Union hands and maintain the financial viability of the Confederacy. Fiction, but fun.
    Dave of the cornfields
  • Options
    kahokiakahokia Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Silas Marner.
    We are digging the pit of Babel.
    --Franz Kafka
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    If there are good ones, I haven't read them. Maybe -- just maybe -- The Deep, but that's more treasure hunting than numismatic in nature.

I've not read it, but I saw Sahara when I did a roadie to the Kansas City ANA a few years back. It definitely has a numismatic theme, but yeesh...imageimage
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list