Home PSA Set Registry Forum

My Quest For 100 PSA Graded NonSports Sets - A Faint Echo Of Jim Crandell

Watching Jim Crandell amass his absolutely amazing collection has inspired me to do a faint echo of his 100 set PSA8 goal. What I'll try to put together is 100 NonSports set with each in PSA5 or better.
Here is my list:

1960's Science Fiction:
1. Mars Attacks - Completed
2. Lost In Space
3. Outer Limits - Need One Card
4. 1967 Leaf Star Trek - Completed
5. 1969 A&BC Star Trek

Ripley's Believe It Or Not Sets
1. 1933 Carreras - Completed
2. 1937 R21 - No. 1 on PSA Set Registry 6.07 GPA, still need one card
3. 1953 Parkhurst BION
4. 1953 Quaker Oats BION
5. 1961 VitaBrits BION
6. 1962 Dynamic Toy BION
7. 1970 Fleer BION
8. 1970 Kilpatricks BION
9. 1970 Fleer BION

There are the first 14 sets I'm going after.

The last 86 sets will be 30's R sets - finished so far but need upgrades:

1930 Jungle Gum
1936 G-Men & Heroes of the Law
1938 Horrors of War
1939 Don't Let It Happen Over Here
1939 World In Arms
1939 True Spy Stories
1941 Uncle Sam Home Defense - Missing One Card - No. 132.

So I'm off to put together 100 Different NonSports sets.
30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me

Comments

• DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Jerry,

Wow--excellent challenge.

I will be rooting for you--81 30s R sets--wow what an accomplishment--at PSA 5 or better an unbelievable accomplishment.

GOOD LUCK.

Jim
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Good Luck on your quest, Keep us updated!
  • Good luck with your quest. It will be fun. One thing though...you arent gonna start a "Im so bi*&hin thread" every time you complete one so that everyone can stroke you, are you?
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Some reason for the nastiness?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    BinLaden,

Board members have asked me to share the stories of how I complete the sets. If you don't like it don't read them.

Good luck again to Jerry in his quest.

Jim
    Agreed Jim. I enjoy reading what you have to say. Keep posting!

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I like them as well!

Good luck, WarHound!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite upset reading this thread. Someone is being nasty towards Jim who in my opinion is very humble for the amazing collection that he has. I'm not getting the whole 7-eleven thing and name either. If that is his name (BinLaden) than I can accept that. If not I do not find it humorous or cool at all. Don't they ban Hitler items on ebay because they offend people. Well, I'm offended by the 7 eleven guy. I think I'm calling PSA on Monday and finding out what's up with this guy. I'm a current member of the armed forces for 21 years and I'm serious; I'm offended.

Mickey71
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I wish Paul Harvey was still alive.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Mickey71,

My thoughts exactly. I at 21 years right now and counting. We will eventually get him.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • You guys are so thin skinned,how in the world did you make it in the armed forces longer than the first week of boot camp? Everyone is entitled to their opinion...isnt that part of the reason some of you are in the Armed Forces??? Davallilo has amassed an amazing collection and Jim is right in that if i dont wanna read about everyone stroking him then I dont have too. As far as being offended by the 7-11 symbol or the stupid/silly name..gimmie a break....there has never been any intent to offend anyone. Really, is a 7-11 symbol any more offensive than a squirrel holding an automatic weapon?? The first job I had when I was 14 years old was at a 7-11 thus why it was selected.
    Im a strong supporter of Psa and own a pretty impressive collection myself full of 1000s of Psa cards and Ijustlovecards like all of you.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether you agree or disagree with 7-11's comments, that's certainly no reason to conjure up some bogus complaint...that's really rather ridiculous, IMO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I edited my original post. It is actually 86 R sets. Since I started this thread I've picked up R21 BION No. 47 so that set is finished as well.

A significant percentage of 30's R cards do not even exist in PSA5 condition. A prime example of this is my R158 Uncle Sam Home Defense High Nos. (121 to 144). In that set I have 17 (Out of 24) cards Pop. 1 of 1 with None Higher, some of which are PSA1's. So I'll amend the goal a bit - if a PSA5 example does not exist, I'll settle for one that is at least tied for highest graded until I can find the elusive raw one that grades out a 5 or better.

I currently have 1300+ NonSports cards with F&B scans posted on my PSA Registry sets. Check out some of these neat colorfull cards & read the interesting stories on the backs.

As an FYI, my Icon is the Gopher from the movie Caddyshack.
    30's R Want List:

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys are so thin skinned,how in the world did you make it in the armed forces longer than the first week of boot camp? Everyone is entitled to their opinion...isnt that part of the reason some of you are in the Armed Forces??? Davallilo has amassed an amazing collection and Jim is right in that if i dont wanna read about everyone stroking him then I dont have too. As far as being offended by the 7-11 symbol or the stupid/silly name..gimmie a break....there has never been any intent to offend anyone. Really, is a 7-11 symbol any more offensive than a squirrel holding an automatic weapon?? The first job I had when I was 14 years old was at a 7-11 thus why it was selected.
    Im a strong supporter of Psa and own a pretty impressive collection myself full of 1000s of Psa cards and Ijustlovecards like all of you. >>

All this is fine and understandable, and although you had no intent you still leave yourself wide open for raised eyebrows and you know that whether you want to admit it or not.

Everyone knows that binladen is a name associated with terrorism in this day and age, you further know that 7-11's are primarily associated with Muslim people who are as well associated with terrorism.

Now before anyone jumps on me for sounding racist towards the Muslim People I am not, I am stating FACTS that some may disagree with but it is the hard truth.

For what its worth I have several People of the Muslim faith that I have know locally for over 20 Years and I consider very good people & friends.

• << <i>Jim who in my opinion is very humble for the amazing collection that he has.
    Mickey71 >>

Your joking right? Starting a thread everytime he completes a set, then listing off all his registries is humble?

• In my opinion Jim is NOT BRAGGING and is humble about his collection - just sharing his accomplishments. As Mohammend Ali once said ; IT AIN"T BRAGGING IF YOU CAN DO IT!!!!" Me I'm the Chuck Wepner of boxing.

Personally I enjoy readig the threads Jim starts about how his sets are completed/progressing. I know from personal experience that you get offers for the cards you need when you make posts of that type. I've been doing a similar thread starting over on the Net54 Vintage NonSport Forum about the 1937 R21 BION set

The goal (And I know that Jim's intention is the same) is not to brag but to share our collections with the collecting community at large.

Tell me about sets you've finished/goals accomplished/amazing cards you've picked up. I'd love to read about it.

Tell me about a Pre 1945 set where you have 75% of the cards at PSA Pop. 1 of 1 with none higher. I can show you a 1961 set where I have 100% of the set at Pop. 1 of 1 with none higher.

If this is bragging then so be. I'm not out to hurt anyone just sharing my collection and I know that Jim is doing the same thing.
    30's R Want List:

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Mickey - eBay doesn't allow Hitler or Nazi items to be sold because eBay wants to do business in Germany. There are German laws against it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Someday I will meet you 7-11. I can't wait.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    NickM,
    That's fine. But maybe laws and Ebay etc. are because there were like 10 million people tortured and killed. I forgot humiliated, had scientific exams done on their brains and reproductive organs, lamp shades made out of their skin. Fillings ripped out of their mouths before they were burned--did I forget something. I could see someone being offended by Nazis and Hitler. And as for Bin Laden (Osama) 4,000 innocent people were killed in the trade centers. As to the comment of not being able to withstand a week of basic training-- most of us soldiers' do what we do out of loyalty and selfless service. I actually did want to go home after a week because the treatment was so bad; but sucked it up because I was doing something I thought was right. I have no problem knowing that I would put my life on the line for the most patriotic flag waiver or the flag burner.

Mickey71
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    good luck it will be an impressive feat when done
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Been a few months - How is the project coming along?