Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Can we get Psa to redeem old flips for cash?

I heard of Psa giving a 50 cent credit per flip... Has any one heard of that? I think it would be in Psa's best interest to start something like this again. I cracked some cards out of psa older holders on my latest sub and I do not want to alter the population reports .
1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
1961 Golden Press psa 9's
1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com

Comments

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be a great idea, and would help PSA maintain accurate pop reports.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I heard of Psa giving a 50 cent credit per flip... Has any one heard of that? I think it would be in Psa's best interest to start something like this again. I cracked some cards out of psa older holders on my latest sub and I do not want to alter the population reports . >>

The Pop reports are ruined beyond repair in my opinion. Think about how many people ( myself included) Who were not happy with grades received so the card was cracked out and resubmitted.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I heard of Psa giving a 50 cent credit per flip... Has any one heard of that? I think it would be in Psa's best interest to start something like this again. I cracked some cards out of psa older holders on my latest sub and I do not want to alter the population reports . >>

The Pop reports are ruined beyond repair in my opinion. Think about how many people ( myself included) Who were not happy with grades received so the card was cracked out and resubmitted. >>

This. image
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...The Pop reports are ruined beyond repair in my opinion...."

//////////////////////

Likely true.

But, a scheme like

X# of flips = 1 grading voucher

could "help" rehab the reports over time.

Some long held flips might even be shaken loose.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    Carol said about a year or so ago that they do not give any credit for old fips. I think they might for coins, but not for cards.
    I can't find the old thread,,,,anyone better with the the CU forum search then I am?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15

• << <i>Carol said about a year or so ago that they do not give any credit for old fips. I think they might for coins, but not for cards.
    I can't find the old thread,,,,anyone better with the the CU forum search then I am? >>

I don't see why Psa won't start this back up again . I think that it is a great way to help the pop reports remain somewhat true... imo
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    I'm saving up a stack of them at home right now. Someday I'll get around to throwing them in an envelope so the pop reports can be adjusted.
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Someday the pops of certain cards will wind up totaling more than the entire print run.
    Travis
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, many people have thrown cracked flips out. I have been guilty of this a couple of times, and those cards will FOREVER be in the population report. It is not possible for PSA to take an inventory of every graded card. We are all doomed to a sub-par pop report.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    They should at least give a .25 credit for each flip.

Or something like a credit off each submission, so it's just a discount and a little dent out of their pocket and not a huge hit in case someone sends in a thousand of them all at once.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Why should PSA give any money for the flips? The flips are meaningless. Pop reports are beyond repair.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Why should PSA give any money for the flips? The flips are meaningless. Pop reports are beyond repair. >>

Agreed.

1) The reports are already ruined. Giving credits now will only stem the tide, NOT do any meaningful repair.
    2) Giving credits kind of encourages resubmits. While that makes them some extra money, doesn't it mean they're admitting to a consistency issue?

In short, it's a very bad PR move to do it.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Of course, PSA would say that the pop reports aren't designed to measure the actual amount of cards that exist in the marketplace in a certain grade (and they'd be right), since they can't be held responsible for what collectors do with their graded cards, like crack or crossover to another service.

They would say that the pop reports are only designed to reflect what has happened at PSA, no more no less

Collectors (myself included) like to look at the pop reports as an indicator of the # of cards that exist in the marketplace in a certain grade, but this really isn't accurate

• << <i>Of course, PSA would say that the pop reports aren't designed to measure the actual amount of cards that exist in the marketplace in a certain grade (and they'd be right), since they can't be held responsible for what collectors do with their graded cards, like crack or crossover to another service.

They would say that the pop reports are only designed to reflect what has happened at PSA, no more no less

Collectors (myself included) like to look at the pop reports as an indicator of the # of cards that exist in the marketplace in a certain grade, but this really isn't accurate >>

Does anyone know what happens to SG/Sgc and Bvg/Bgs cards that cross over to Psa? Does Psa send the flips back to the other grading companies so they can be deleted.
  • I save the cracked out labels- they make nice labels for vault boxes with my slabbed cards in them!
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

With the current economy, it's unlikely that they'll do anything to erode their bottom line. Companys are downsizing to control costs. Although, I'm sure they'd like to provide an accurate pop report, there is very little (if any) financial upside to doing so.

Also, as stated above, the crack & resub game has been going on since day one...even if they wanted to fix it, it's too late...just my 2 cents.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Here is an example of the population report or the print run of a card being off. The 1993 finest refractor of Frank Thomas has had 231 graded by PSA and 11 by BGS for a total of 242. They say that the entire print run on the 1993 finest refractors is 250 of each card. That would leave only 8 raw cards of Frank Thomas left. I'm quite sure that there are way more than that that have yet to be opened. There are several examples like this in the 1993 finest refractors set. Although I've always found it hard to believe that there were only 250 of each card produced, I find it equally hard to believe that there are 242 of this card that are currently in a PSA or BGS slab.