Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 topps (cross over from vintage forum)

Personally one of my favorite sets.

Some particulars.
1- according to my "records" the series were issued approx. 3/12, 4/5, 4/25, 5/14, 6/4, 6/25, 7/11.

The 3rd series is somewhat difficult to complete in high grade 219-328. if you look at becketts graded card investor guide, most cards are listed and include high grade very tough cards as of course reggie, kekich, bill robinson, cox, mcdowell, f robby, charles, romo, cardenas and others.

The cepeda card shows him as brave shortly after he was traded on 3/15.

Also Jim Gosger is the first pilot to have the emblem on the uniform. for mont. its Ty Cline, dennis ribant for Kc and al ferrara for SD. This obviously means that these pictures were taken and then printed at spring training.

The Dick Ellsworth card in the 7th series shows him as an indian, he was traded to cleve from Boston in late April meaning these were printed probably sometime in mid may. also the tug mcgraw card talks of april 1969 on the back of the card.

Notice how the 5th series cards have a different "tint" to them and you can tell by looking at those cards that it is from the 5th series. It is almost as if a filter of some kind was put in front of the lens.

finally, due to expansion, there are many players who really should not have had cards produced, but I think were done to meet a certain number of cards per team, (e.g. gonder, sheldon, kostro, hendley, cottier, and many others). also see how only 18 solo phillies cards were produced.

any additional thoughts?

In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....

Comments

• Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    1- according to my "records" the series were issued approx. 3/12, 4/5, 4/25, 5/14, 6/4, 6/25, 7/11.

That is a very interesting re. the 1969 Topps Baseball series issue dates.
    May I ask, how you were able to come up with those?

I also really like the set and have wondered about the series issue dates for a long time.
    I remember going back to some of The Sporting News and trying to figure out the issue dates that way, as
    there were announcements touting dates, for some of the series releases.
  • Options

thru someone at topps. let me know if you need any additional info.

• Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    "Notice how the 5th series cards have a different "tint" to them and you can tell by looking at those cards that it is from the 5th series. It is almost as if a filter of some kind was put in front of the lens."

I have also noticed this, I'm no camera buff but I always figured that the photographer that took these pictures was using a flash on those shots, for some odd reason.
    But I might be completely mistaken on that.

I know this question doesn't have anything to do with 1969 Topps Baseball, but you wouldn't happen to have the release dates of the two serie's of 1968 Topps Football also would you?
    I would love to know those.

The 68 Topps Football & the 69 Topps Baseball were the first sports sets I collected as a kid, and remain my all time favorites to this day.
    Thanks a lot for the info on the 69's!!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    cool thread.

didnt know any of aforementioned information.

but still my 1st love.

wl variations rule

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    also notice that in the last seris, first off, its a short amount of cards (especially when compared to 1970-1972. out of the 75 cards priinted, 17 were for the 4 new teams.

ALSO, obviously the Andy Kosco card 139 was switched to him as a Dodger (instead of a Yankee) at the last moment as 140 is also a Dodger, Jim Lefebvre.
  • Options
    dont know about the football, only started collecting football in 71.