Home PSA Set Registry Forum

My Ron Santo Master Set Registry

I just updated my registry and I got all my scans into the system. I still need a few more cards to complete the set and I hope to someday take over the #1 spot but I need alot of luck finding that Mantle Bazooka panel to do so.

Thanks for looking guys.

Registry Link

Comments

• Santo was always one of my favorite players. Nice set, good luck taking over the top spot.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Wow!! That's very cool. Thanks for taking the time to scan all of those. You have some really nice cards!!!!! image
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    awesome set, man i wish i could get those 68 bazooka boxes with rose for my rose set. have any more? thanks corey

on these 2 68 bazooka panels. both the #1 and you have the same cards in our set. these are both a pop 1 only 1 ever graded?
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10

<< <i>on these 2 68 bazooka panels. both the #1 and you have the same cards in our set. these are both a pop 1 only 1 ever graded? >>

One of the sets is retired.
  • tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Thanks for the nice comments guys. I bought the Bazooka boxes from the former #1 guy. They are awesome and I was very lucky to acquire them.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Nathan--congrats. From someone who has the #1 Yaz Master Set at 280 cards, I know these can be difficult.

I also assume you are the Nathan that just made an offer for my '64 Stand Up Santo.

Sorry dude!
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    shouldnt they be removed from his set even though its retired. it would decrease his score and move you closer??
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10

<< <i>shouldnt they be removed from his set even though its retired. it would decrease his score and move you closer?? >>

It would be nice, but the registry does not work that way. They are in his set for eternity.

<< <i>Nathan--congrats. From someone who has the #1 Yaz Master Set at 280 cards, I know these can be difficult.

I also assume you are the Nathan that just made an offer for my '64 Stand Up Santo.

Sorry dude! >>

You are right. I had to try. I never see those popup on ebay. Great Yaz collection by the way. You have twice as many cards as I do in there.
  • IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Dear Nathan,

Hearty congratulations on your very impressive Ron Santo collection. You have put a lot of heart into it. Had an argument with a couple a few months ago who said that Ronnie always choked in the pinch. I did my best to jump down their throat. I will always remember, though the year escapes me (probably 68-70), when the Cubs were playing Houston at the Astrodome. Santo's up, with men on base, two strikes, and it's unusually tense and quiet. Jack Brickhouse announcing. He's even quiet for a few seconds. Just before the pitch was thrown, some Charlie the Loudmouth Houston fan, who must have been right under the broadcast booth, screamed "Come on Santo--strike out!!!" The Pizza Power man creamed that very pitch into the stands for a home run! Brickhouse of course went wild. I went nuts, because Ronnie and everybody had to have heard the mug. Just one of those great Cub memories that come back---forty years later!

Nathan, here is a Santo that you should endeavor to acquire with all your might. You may already have it, but just in case you do not: as you know, Santo was associated for years with Pro's Pizza. In the spring of 1968, the larger frozen Pro's Pizza boxes featured this fabulous over-sized photo of Santo taken on a cloudy day at Wrigley Field. The photo was in beautiful color, of Ronnie kneeling with a bat in the on-deck circle. The photo was wax-covered on both sides to protect it from the oils in the cheese and sausage. The size was roughly 5 X 7 or 6 X 8, but I would say it was definitely larger than the 1967 Coca-Cola Premium done by Dexter Press. I do not know if PSA has a holder for such a large card. It may not even be considered a card per se. However, it would be a dazzling centerpiece to go with your graded cards, since the eye appeal of that Santo is off the charts! Another card would be the black and white Pro's Pizza box card served right at Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park from '66 to perhaps '69. You probably know about those, but thought you should be aware of the color box photo. I saw one in the last year or two, perhaps in a Huggins & Scott auction. I would have kept the one I had in 1968, but I threw it away for a very good reason, that I have never regretted.

Wish you the best in collecting Santo. Also still, hope you have the 2.75 to 3-inch diameter brilliant color stadium pin sold at Wrigley Field. They were studio photos with this beautiful blue background, and a matte finish. Again, the eye appeal is unbelieveable. I do not have a Santo, but I have both of the Ernie Banks versions. They did make Ron Santo, though.

I better stop. This is already quite long. Take care, Nathan. ---IndianaJones (BrianPowell)

<< <i>Dear Nathan,

Hearty congratulations on your very impressive Ron Santo collection. You have put a lot of heart into it. Had an argument with a couple a few months ago who said that Ronnie always choked in the pinch. I did my best to jump down their throat. I will always remember, though the year escapes me (probably 68-70), when the Cubs were playing Houston at the Astrodome. Santo's up, with men on base, two strikes, and it's unusually tense and quiet. Jack Brickhouse announcing. He's even quiet for a few seconds. Just before the pitch was thrown, some Charlie the Loudmouth Houston fan, who must have been right under the broadcast booth, screamed "Come on Santo--strike out!!!" The Pizza Power man creamed that very pitch into the stands for a home run! Brickhouse of course went wild. I went nuts, because Ronnie and everybody had to have heard the mug. Just one of those great Cub memories that come back---forty years later!

Nathan, here is a Santo that you should endeavor to acquire with all your might. You may already have it, but just in case you do not: as you know, Santo was associated for years with Pro's Pizza. In the spring of 1968, the larger frozen Pro's Pizza boxes featured this fabulous over-sized photo of Santo taken on a cloudy day at Wrigley Field. The photo was in beautiful color, of Ronnie kneeling with a bat in the on-deck circle. The photo was wax-covered on both sides to protect it from the oils in the cheese and sausage. The size was roughly 5 X 7 or 6 X 8, but I would say it was definitely larger than the 1967 Coca-Cola Premium done by Dexter Press. I do not know if PSA has a holder for such a large card. It may not even be considered a card per se. However, it would be a dazzling centerpiece to go with your graded cards, since the eye appeal of that Santo is off the charts! Another card would be the black and white Pro's Pizza box card served right at Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park from '66 to perhaps '69. You probably know about those, but thought you should be aware of the color box photo. I saw one in the last year or two, perhaps in a Huggins & Scott auction. I would have kept the one I had in 1968, but I threw it away for a very good reason, that I have never regretted.

Wish you the best in collecting Santo. Also still, hope you have the 2.75 to 3-inch diameter brilliant color stadium pin sold at Wrigley Field. They were studio photos with this beautiful blue background, and a matte finish. Again, the eye appeal is unbelieveable. I do not have a Santo, but I have both of the Ernie Banks versions. They did make Ron Santo, though.

I better stop. This is already quite long. Take care, Nathan. ---IndianaJones (BrianPowell) >>

Brian- Great story about the Santo Home Run. I have been working on my Santo collection for years and I hope to celebrate him getting into the Hall this time next year. As far as the Pro's Pizza boxes go, I have only found the color disc in good condition. I have seen one of the 2 other items you described (the one I saw was the red and black box top but they have all been in horrible condition). I do have that pin that you described as well as that hard to find Ron Santo day at the ballpark pin from 1971. Thanks for all the nice comments. In your spare time, see if you can find me one of those 1961 Santo/Mantle Bazooka complete panels.....

Nathan
    Dear Nathan,

Sorry, buddy, I do not have a lot of spare time. But, I shall spare you a little more. First, while writing, I happened to come across the auction ad that featured the 1968 Pro's Pizza color photo of Ron that I spoke of. It appeared in the MastroNet catalog of December 15, 2001. It was on page 343, lot # 1941. Assuming the original owner of the photo cut Ron right on the edge of the picture, the catalog says it measures 5- 1/2" X 6- 3/4". Ron is not in the on-deck circle, but the pose is the way I recalled, as well as the intense color on a cloudy day at Wrigley Field.

As for the 1961 Bazooka panel, yes I do have that one. Unfortunately for you and I, it is part of a complete set of proof panels which I purchased from a dealer in 1972, who got them from a collector whom I believe to have been Bill Haber, who worked for Topps. He wrote the cartoons on the back of the cards. Nice guy. Anyway, Bill was able to procure a few of those goodies that Topps no longer needed. Since the cards are much smaller than the regular Topps, no doubt their printing department needed to run several proof sheets on a better grade of cardboard, to ascertain whether they got the color and print registry correct. After all, it would not take much of a goof for the cute little T-206-like Bazookas to appear messed up. The proof panels, since they were printed on the better cardboard, look much, much better aestetically than the regular box cards. The entire group of 1959 rare Bazookas was done this way on a proof sheet, and auctioned a few years ago by Robert Edward Auctions. Also, I have seen perhaps two other proof sets of 1961 at auction since the turn of the century. It is easy to say mine would grade a minimum of PSA 9. However, if and when I decide to have them graded, assuming I do not screw them up in cutting, there is no way they should grade any less. They are gorgeous. Since I have owned a few regular '61 box-cut Bazooka cards, I can vouch that the difference is night and day. Hopefully Nathan, someone will break up their set. It is too bad that Ronnie is beside Mickey Mantle.

Not gloating, believe me. I know I am very, very fortunate to have that set. Take care. -IndianaJones
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    What a Great looking set of Santo cards!
    Too bad Santo was on the 1961 bazooka panel with Mantle ! I collect Brooks Robinson cards....he shows up on the 1968 Topps action sticker full panel with Clemente and a 1971 Bazooka box with Aaron...The only card Brooks shows up with Mantle is the 1965 league leader card.
    It really stinks when "your guy" is on anything with Mantle ! Clemente and Aaron is bad enough, but Mantle is the worse case $$$$$...especially 1961!

again-beautiful collection !!!!
    Scott

Is Santo on a 1965 old london coin??
    I was just kidding about mentioning that 61 Bazooka panel and then you actually have one. That is amazing. Unbelievable that you have had that set since 1972. It must look very cool as you describe. I do know for a fact that the Mantle panel in a PSA 9 will be up for auction sometime in April. My buddy who had retired his Santo set is selling that panel through one of the major auction houses. It will interesting to see how high it goes. I know it will be way out of my price range unfortunately.

As for the Mastro auction item, I will check with my buddy and find out if he still has that catalog. Thanks again for the information and your story about the Bazooka panels.

Nathan
    Scott- Thankfully Santo is not on the london coin. Were you able to track down the 71 Bazooka box with Aaron?
    Dear Nathan,

Thanks again for the kind words. Honestly, do not sell yourself short on perhaps trying to do battle for that 1961 Bazooka panel in PSA 9. They do not go for all that much, compared to how tough they actually are. Bazookas have been misunderstood, under-appreciated, and undervalued for so long. It is too bad that Bazooka had the cards designed with shared borders.

Of course, the 1959s were designed as impressive, large individual cards, and slowly but surely they are getting the recognition they deserve. Depending on the player's pose they are so beautiful. I was able to persuade the lady in charge of the Mantle Master Set Registry, along with Joe Orlando, that the weight for Mick's 1959 Bazooka needed to ascend. They brought it up. I am writing a book about postwar regional food issues, and one of my chapters is on the 1959 Bazookas, principally the Mantle. I put Bazookas in the same category as food items only because they were like a box of candy, and not the regular mainstream bubble gum cards. They were usually sold in drug stores, as well as the section at grocery stores that had the larger boxes or bags of candy and gum.

Nevertheless, the shared border Bazookas are by no means ugly, and in their own way they present a very inspiring sight with two other good players from that year. With that panel being MINT, it is likely from one of those proof sheets I discussed in my last response. If I were you, I would make plans for war, to do battle for it. No underlying motive here. I am being straight up. Sure, you are paying for the Mantle. To be dead honest, that is one nice Mantle. It is a great portrait, and he is looking right at you. There are really very few cards where Mickey is smiling right at you. Then again, if you do not care for Mantle, it is pure frustration. Furthermore, I may be stepping out of bounds here; if you genuinely cannot afford it, you cannot afford it. I can no longer afford many cards that I would like to have, so truly, I can commiserate. One thing, my friend, your Santo collection is stupendous. As I envision them, cards, coins, stamps, pins, and other flat items are arranged tastefully in several All-State Display cases, and covered of course when you are not viewing them, I am sure there is enough eye candy there to make you click your heals as Ron did in 1969, when he would leave the field at Wrigley after Chicago won.

I hope you do not turn your nose up on such things as the 1987-1990 Pacific Legends. They may be common, but they are uncommonly beautiful. Too many guys run down modern cards of older players. Sometimes the investment is the pure enjoyment of looking at great pictures of favorites. Nathan, some of the shots are just as nice as the best period cards of some of the players. For example, Mike Cramer selected an awesome Ozzie Sweet photo of Mickey Mantle for that set. Sure, it has nothing on the 1952 Topps, value wise. But that photo of Mickey, and the perfect look in his eyes, is right up there with the cards worth many thousands of dollars. I am not advocating putting a bunch of newer items with period items. However, if the eye appeal for an item is really strong for you, sure, put such a card or two or three with the old. These are all picture cards, after all.

I better go Nathan. Remember I said I do not have a lot of free time? Hah!!! Oh well, I hope you found this long response worth reading. Take care, collector friend. I wish you the very, very best. ---IndianaJones (Brian Powell)

<< <i>I am writing a book about postwar regional food issues.... (Brian Powell) >>

I, for one, am looking forward to getting my hands on this once it's published. I'm very intrigued.
    [Not for sale] Here's a scan of my '61 Bazooka Santo. Unfortunately, it was cut inside the border on the left and right, so it won't grade. I still like it though. image

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    That's a cool Art Mahaffey Bob
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

<< <i>That's a cool Art Mahaffey Bob >>

I agree. I was thinking about tearing up the other two guys so Art could be all by himself. image
    Brian- Once again, your knowledge of the food cards is very intersting to read about. Any idea when you are going to finish your book? I have the Pacific Legends cards from the 80's. The Santo photos are not that impressive however, like some of the other cards. I will be going after the Mantle panel, but I am afraid it will enter the 2000 plus price range if the Mantle guys start really fighting over it. My hope is that if a Mantle guy won it, that person would then sell off their lower graded panel on ebay. We shall see how it goes.

I am in the process of trying to find a nice way to display my Santo collection- I need to finish my basement first though. I kind of like your visual description rather than the reality of storing them in shoe boxes and a safety deposit box.

Thanks again for all your insight into the Bazooka panels.

<< <i>[Not for sale] Here's a scan of my '61 Bazooka Santo. Unfortunately, it was cut inside the border on the left and right, so it won't grade. I still like it though. image

image >>

Awesome panel. Thanks for sharing the photo.
    Speaking of Bazooka cards....this beauty arrived in the mail today. It is an upgrade from my PSA 6 (currently on ebay right now).

These 4 little guys arrived today.

Needless to say, I am pretty excited about the mailday
    Dear Nathan,

You are most welcome. I guess I assumed that the Pacific Legends Ron Santo was an attractive card. I could not remember what it looked like, and gave it the benefit of the doubt. I will take your word for it. I was wrong. Their cards of the 20s-30s players that look to be colorized by Crayola crayon do not come off well, either. Off-hand, I liked the Maris, the Campaneris, DiMaggio, the Ted Williams full-length batting pose and Joe Black. Ken Holtzman looked terrific, as did the 1968 shot of Ernie Banks.

That Pacific Banks is special to me because the first Chicago Cub game I went to was on July 7, 1968. Just as many people have expressed, upon climbing the stairs and seeing the playing field for the first time, the emerald green grass leaves a lasting impression. My favorite Cub was indeed Mr. Cub. First time up, the bases were loaded for Ernie. He proceeded to zero in on a Steve Blass pitch and blasted it into the bleachers. We were all screaming in the grandstands, and I could not hear my own voice. After losing my dear father earlier in the year, I took this as an unforgettable and special blessing from God. I needed such things from time to time then.

Anyway, isn't Bob's 1961 Bazooka panel stunning? I truly believe the grading companies need to come to a better understanding and tolerance for the hand-cut cards. It is as if every time someone cut a card out in a manner that was substandard to what is now demanded of a reputable grading company, they were being malicious and trying to deceive the next owner of the card. The instructions were to cut on the dashed line, AND NOT, CUT AROUND THE DASHED LINE!!!!!! When you use scissors on a line the thickness of a pencil line, your cutting will tend to weave a teenie bit. Back then, kids and most adults used plain ol' scissors, not a razor blade.

I will be bringing out the occasion at an early 1970s card show when some veteran collectors were discussing this matter. There were two schools of thought. First, you should include all the dashed line for it to be "the way it should be". Second, do not include any of the dashed line around the perimeter, since it is an eyesore. Furthermore, by removing the dashed line, in essence, you are freeing up the natural off-white border of the card. Whereby, in so cutting the Bazooka panel, or individual cards for that matter, they would now appear to resemble miniature versions of a normal gum card. Again, in their own way, they looked like a 1961 T-206. This would be one time we would not mind the grading companies changing horses in mid-stream. I would concede that a PSA 10 have all of the dashed line, but then, logically and fairly, grade it down from there, taking into account the normal condition factors of creasing, marks, print spots, picture registry, et al.

Then, as now, collectors love to "one up on another rival". (CAN YOU SAY, PSA SET REGISTRY?) For example, one would say, "I carefully removed all the black lines around my cards. Don't they look great?" Another, "man, I think you should have kept the cards in panels, LIKE I DID!" Whozus comes up. "Look at mine; my panels have all the dashed lines! Howdaya like 'dem apples?" Still another shoots back, "I gottcha all trumped. I got the whole Bazooka set in complete boxes! Heh. Heh. Heh. They all say, "shut your big mouth, ya showoff!" Then they all notice little Alfred's cards. The group all want to know, "hey, how come your cards look so clear and different than ours? Why are they so much better?" Alfred quietly replies, "I have a friend at Topps. He was able to get me one of the proof sheets they made back then to get the colors just right for the box issue." The group bite their tongues, not wanting to acknowledge the obvious. But then they go back to arguing with each other, each secretly deciding they will ask Alfred later, "hey, who's your buddy at Topps? Is he at the show? What's his phone number?" And so on, and so one, and so on.

As for my book, I guess I better stay away from the PSA/Net 54 message boards, or I'll never get the thing done! I am working with Sports Collectors Digest at this point (yes, you read correctly. Whether or not you agree, I think this hobby needs SCD. They have done a great deal for the hobby. They finally took out Coach's Corner advertizing, and some collectors have the audacity to sound as if they will never forgive them, and never subscribe again. No, it is not the same as it was just a few short years ago.

Is the hobby dying? I do not know. I hope not. Our kids love video games, don't they? Usually, they entertain them in a big way, make them happy, and do not hurt them or let them down. Except of course for the adult violent shooting games, that have been proved to "affect the future behavior" of youth sometimes. Big Mac finally confessed. Whatever the real reason for his confession after all this time, a lot of damage was done. What I think of are all the high school boys who took steroids to beef up, in order to, like McGuire, get into major league baseball and become an instant millionaire. But a number of those high schoolers could not handle the strong side effects of the steroids, and died, a few by suicide. How do you honestly feel the parents of those boys regard McGuire now? He was not the only one, but he WAS a major role model. He received tons and tons and tons of notoriety in 1998, and that got a lot of young baseball hopefuls thinking. I am way off base, now. My basic point with my chase of that rabbit is that there has been so much not to respect of many current high profile baseball players. I will not discuss their habits of signing autographs.

Back to cards. We needed PSA to level the playing field and force honest grading. We need PSA and SGC to have some competition and a choice. We need eBay to see terrific scans, to see what we are bidding on. To be sure, we must watch out for scams---of all kinds. We need SCD, for communication, for visual news of hobby happenings, for information, for articles worth reading, for ideas expressed that are worth pondering. So true, you have quite a few subscribers that are against grading, for whatever reason. One of them that you maybe had not considered is that the cost of grading some of their cards exceeds, or even far exceeds, what they paid for them long ago. No doubt some do not want to be told that what they have is not as valuable as what they thought. So who would want to hear that, anyway?

Yes, for some, the hobby passed them by. They could not get over the fact that their honesty was not good enough in grading, apparently oblivious to the also fact that the stakes were so high in card prices, that there actually were so many over-graders, or outright liars, that it did not matter if they could genuinely call a spade a spade. The buyers would not believe them. So, enter PSA and eventually, SGC. It is their own loss. Did you know that SCD occasionally offers a directory of collectors, whereby you can express your interests, wants, and provide personal info so that someone could reach you--FOR FREE? Maybe if you placed an offer to buy certain tough cards, and showed the color of your money, someone might respond to help. Maybe no one will respond. That happens. But if nobody does nothing anymore, and it is only about money, then yes, the hobby will probably take the deep six eventually. There's still a lot of baby boomers with a lot of dough to spend, though.) LONG PARENTHESES, HUH?

Again, back to my book. I have collected off and on since 1961. I began my involvement with the adult organized hobby in 1972. I grew up on the gum cards and a few food issues. I love the gum cards intensely. Eventually, I grew to really admire and cherish the postwar regional food issues. They often had very attractive graphics, fascinating background histories, and it was fun and challenging to collect them. You simply could not plunk down a quarter, plus tax, for 25 gum cards. You had to become quite resourceful. You often had to seek help from others in your family, and elsewhere. Sometimes, you had to leave your comfort zone to get them. Yet, if for instance, you were growing up in the Kansas City area in 1955, and through great effort, accumulated 20 different Rodeo Meats Kansas City Athletics. Well, they might be the favorite part of your collection. Why? You had to really work to get them, whether eating the dogs 'til you got sick, begging and pleading with your parents, relatives, and neighbors for them, and so on.

I know I have meandered in my response here. Nathan, are you still with me, bub? Who will read this anyway? Let's just say that I got tired of waiting for such a book. Finally, I am throwing down the gauntlet, and saying---fine, then I will write one. It is not meant to be exhaustive, like this response probably has now become. Rather, a fun read with good stories, some interesting facts, and what makes some of those cards so prized to people who are fortunate enough to have them.

Oh, by the way, if I will be accused of a conflict of interest, I shan't sell all my collection to satisfy some loud-mouthed lime. I come right out and say: some of the cards I USED TO OWN, some cards were and shall probably remain just a dream, and a few of them I still own. The latter group are some of the highlights of my collection. My passion for them is of lava. By the help and mercy of God, I shall give it my best shot. Hopefully, the publisher will treat me well. They will have to if I will allow this stuff to get published.

OK, it is time, and it has been time, to shut up and get back to work. Salute. -IndianaJones (Brian Powell)
    Brian-the "cut on the dotted line" "cut off the dotted line" is always going to be a debate...since PSA wants to see the line, and they are running the hobby (registry)...seems like "the line included" is going to be the way to go.

It's carzy but some issues like the 1969 Nabisco, which had 8 ? cards on the back of the box, shared so many of the lines with the card next to them or on top or bottom, it is safe to say that maybe two or three cards could have been cut with the dotted line showing on all 4 sides.I feel this makes the nabisco a very hard card to find with lines on all 4 sides due to the layout.
    Even with standard 3 card across bazooka...only 2 of the 3 cards could be cut with all the dotted lines.

Scott
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>[Not for sale] Here's a scan of my '61 Bazooka Santo. Unfortunately, it was cut inside the border on the left and right, so it won't grade. I still like it though. image

image >>

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hi Bob,

Did you ever consider cutting the Mantle out of the panel to send in for grading? With the dashes completely visible around the Mantle, the card will definitely grade high (I'm assuming the card has no creases etc).

Nothing against the Santo and Mahaffey cards, but since neither of those cards individually cut, nor the complete panel, would grade higher than 'authentic', wouldn't it be to your advantage to separate the Mantle?

Just a thought!
    PoppaJ
    Dear Scott,

Much of my long harangue on the cutting of Bazookas was meant to express what collectors were saying when I first joined the adult hobby in the early 1970s.

True, I voiced the opinion that PSA was being a bit unreasonable about it. I felt they could re-think the standards for decent cuts. They would not get the highest numbers, granted. However, I felt they could merit the 5-6-7 range. Those with the complete border are going to tend to be very high grade anyway. My three cents. -Brian
    Brian I agree with you 100%..I just also wanted to state that I think the cutting of any full Bazooka box that has survived 40 years in that form is a SIN.....I feel that a full box is the ultimate Bazooka!
    Once it is cut up.....thats one less full box in the hobby.
    So if people are cutting up full boxes and panels to meet PSA requirements, standards, checklist...whatever....Full boxes are only going to become rarer in the future.
    Just my 2 cents and opinion.
    Scott

Brian-can you answer this for me.
    This has puzzled me for sometime...why is it that the 1969 bazooka boxes are always (99%of the time) found with the top tabs cut off ?
    I cant find any reasons to figure this out, like a mail in offer that you needed to send in the top tabs.
    has anyone else noticed this?
    I havent been on ebay looking today, but if a "full" box is on ebay from 1969,I would bet it is missing the top tabs

Scott

Dear Scott,

Howdy. I am sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I have not been on the Net in a couple days. Assuming that you are referring to the box end flaps, then I honestly do not know why they were removed by collectors of yore. I will give you an opionion, based upon what I have seen from the 1970s.

Scott, then as now, one of the key questions to be solved is: how do I preserve and display my prized cards? Mounting cards in albums was indeed done by the advanced collectors. One of the "major problems" of Bazookas is that they are so large, when you extend out the flaps on both sides. It could very well be that for the sake of display, those boxes had their end flaps cut by collectors, so they would fit better in the standard-sized albums were of that time. Then again, you are specifically asking about 1969, and not the other years. Again, I do not know. However, if I am correct, 1969 was the year of the Bazooka headline cards of significant achievements. The side panels had all-time greats, though they were kinda ugly. As I muse about it, the 1969 cards of players of the past would not be valued in the same way as current player Bazooka issues. So, cutting off the end flaps may just have been considered not that big of a loss to the box. Forty years later, we now think they were not very smart about doing such a thing to a once-complete Bazooka baseball-themed box.

Scott, another thought is that the 1969 Bazooka headliner cards were vertically oriented, and not horizontally, as the other Bazookas, save 1959. Since they would have been mounted differently, that may have been a reason for cutting those tabs. Still, I do not absolutely know.

I have to go, quick. A few years ago I almost gave up on having, would you believe, a COMPLETE, UNFOLDED 1962 JELL-O box of Mickey Mantle, in the rare Apple flavor, graded. Nobody would grade it. I was told I would have to cut that gem off the box, and submit it that way to get a grade? Eventually, SGC capitulated, and authenticated the box. It is a genuine box, and a real prized piece in my Mickey Mantle collection. I am glad I did not cut it, to say the least, if not less.

In fairness to PSA, I believe they now will grade an unopened box, which is good. However, the key sore point with PSA, and I am not running them down because I love PSA and think they are a very good company, is that they need to honestly deal with this matter of encapsulating over-sized and/or odd-sized cards. I would love to speak to Joe Orlando about the feasibility of developing their own insert that could be custom-cut to fit the card, in order for the piece to display at its best. Considering the value of the items, as well as their penchant for eye appeal, it would seem appropriate for them to strive to build a better mousetrap along those lines. The mylar bag is good for some issues, but not for others. Even the Saladas and Armours sometimes get turned around in the holder, though perhaps that is an easy-fix. I realize SGC has their marvelous insert. However, I have thought of two distinct changes to such an insert, with PSA in mind, that I would like to sell the idea to them. This way, PSA could legitimately call it their own. It may be a little pricy to a point; but then considering their grading fees, and the value of what they are grading, I do not think the collector (IE customer) is demanding too much when it concerns the eye appeal and display value of their rarer and best cards.
    IndianaJones -Brian
    I dont think the tabs (on top of box) where cut of for display reasons or to fit them into various holders/sleeves of the period...like you said you really dont see it with the other bazooka years..it is still a mystery to me why so many 69 boxes have the top portion removed....anyway, maybe we will never no the answer, but one thing is for certain is that for some odd reason when a 69 box comes up on ebay or I am lucky enough to spot one at a show, the top tabs have been removed.

As far as PSA not grading cards because of the lack of a plastic holder to fit the card is terrible on there part...a business is about making money and if I owned PSA I am sure a quick phone call to china produce plastic slabs and eliminate such a problem.
    Holders can be made an size.....think of all the revenue PSA could be taking in grading oddball cards. (full jello boxes) They been in the business for 20 years? and they still cant grade certain issues.
    Scott
    I just added 3 more to the registry:

1969 Topps Super PSA 10
    1968 Topps Action All Star Stickers PSA 8
    1947-1966 Exhibitits PSA 8

Now time to work on the Venezuelans