Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

2010 POLL ADDITIONS--Future Hall of Fame Rookie Players- Modern Set

Alright everyone. With the All-Pro selections being released this morning, it's time to vote for this years additions (and subtractions) to the Future HOF RC- Modern set. As always, ANYONE can make a nomination. If you think someone is either a LOCK HOFer or at least considered very likely to be a HOF one day by all means submit the name for vote here.

When voting please take the above into account. With this set, we are looking for the sure-fire HOF guys.

My initial nomination list will automatically include the following active players:
-With 6+ Pro Bowls
-With 4+ 1st Team All-Pro Selection
-Anyone with a major statistical milestone

For retired players:
-Anyone selected as a top 25 semifinalist within the past 5 years

For Removal/subtraction requests:
-Anyone currently part of the set who has NOT been selected as a top 25 Semifinalist within the past 5 years

Off we go, this years initial nominees:

Active-
Kevin Williams-5 Pro Bowls, 5 1st team All-Pro
Antonio Gates-6 Pro Bowls, 3 1st Team All-Pro
Charles Woodson-6 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Defensive Player of the Year
Jason Witten-6 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro
Olin Kreutz-6 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance
Matt Birk-6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro
Chris Samuels-6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro,
Edgerrin James-12,246 career rushing yards, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st Team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Offensive Rookie of the Year
Hines Ward- 4 Pro Bowls, 0 1st Team All-Pro, 2 Super Bowl appearances, Super Bowl MVP, 895 receptions, 10,947 yds, 78 TDs

Retired-
Roger Craig- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro, 3 Super Bowl appearances
Rickey Jackson- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance
Steve Tasker- 4 time Semifinalist, 7 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances
Joe Jacoby- 2 time Semifinalist , 4 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances

For removal-
Steve At-water- 6 times eligible, has not been selected in the top 25

My personal votes:

Add-
Kevin Williams
Antonio Gates
Charles Woodson
Rickey Jackson
Hines Ward

Subtract-
Steve At-water

We will run the poll through next Wednesday or end it early if we go any 48 hour period without any new votes, and I will keep a running count of the votes posted to the thread. Any player who gets better than 50% of the vote will be included in my request to PSA who will run the OFFICIAL poll to all of the set participants. Anyone is free to vote in this poll.

Jason
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    My votes:

Add K. Williams, Gates, Woodson, Witten, James, Craig, Jackson, Tasker and Jacoby.

Despite the fact that he gets zero support from HOF voters, I vote to keep At-water and his 8 (yes EIGHT) Pro Bowls. I'm simply perplexed by his lack of support from the voters. There has to be more to this story.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    ADD:

Charles Woodson-6 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Defensive Player of the Year
    Edgerrin James-12,246 career rushing yards, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st Team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance, Offensive Rookie of the Year
    Roger Craig- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro, 3 Super Bowl appearances
    Rickey Jackson- 1 time finalist, 2 time Semifinalist, 6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl appearance
    Joe Jacoby- 2 time Semifinalist , 4 Pro Bowls, 2 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to move Hines's name up to the top with the other possibilities in your initial thread.

My votes

Chris Samuels-6 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro,
    Hines Ward
    Joe Jacoby

For removal-
    Steve At-water-
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Good point on Hines. DONE.

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Add-
    Kevin Williams
    Antonio Gates
    Charles Woodson
    Rickey Jackson
    Roger Craig
    Joe Jacoby

Subtract-
    Steve At-water
  • Options
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Add-
    Kevin Williams
    Antonio Gates
    Charles Woodson
    Hines Ward

Subtract-
    Steve At-water

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Interesting voting so far.

-Somewhat surprised to see Jacoby with 4 votes since he hasn't made the top 25 since Class of 2008. If Grimm gets in this year (which i am predicting) it may crush Jacoby's future chances. Dawson and Roaf will be the next two O-lineman in, and Jacoby will hit his max eligibility before too long and get pushed to the Senior pool behind the Jerry Kramer's and Mick Tingelhoff's of the world...

-Also surprised to see 60% for Edge James since he didn't get the votes last year and played bad enough to get cut and not re-signed this season.

-Thought Hines Ward would get a little more love, i guess most feel the stats aren't there yet for a WR.

-We may finally get enough votes to remove At-water, who regardless of personal opinions (I think he's a HOF talent as well) simply is getting zero respect from the voters. Add in John Lynch to the mix pretty soon along with At-Water, Butler and Darren Woodson as strong candidates and we may not see a Safety voted in for some time. Butler is getting close to hitting his 5 years without ever making even the semifinals as well, so we may end up voting for him next year. Personally I think Butler is more deserving than At-water as he was a better all around player, so hopefully next year he can at least crack the top 25...

-Gates and Woodson look like the shoo-ins so far. Would expect Kevin Williams and his 5-time 1st Team All-Pro's to sail through as well. When the 2000 Team of the Decade is released shortly with Williams as a 1st teamer, that should soldify him as one of the dominant DT's of the era.

Jason
  • Options
  • Options
    My votes for addition:

Antonio Gates
    Charles Woodson

Subtraction:

Steve At-water
  • Options
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Add:
    Hines Ward (even though they play different positions, it's silly that Witten had as many votes as Ward)
    Roger Craig
    Antonio Gates
    Kevin Williams
    Charles Woodson
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The list should also include Shane Lechler, P, who had his 4th 1st Team All-Pro selection this year (in addition to the 2nd highest single season gross punting average in history).

I vote to add

Roger Craig
    Antonio Gates
    Edgerrin James
    Rickey Jackson
    Shane Lechler
    Hines Ward
    Kevin Williams
    Charles Woodson

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>The list should also include Shane Lechler, P, who had his 4th 1st Team All-Pro selection this year (in addition to the 2nd highest single season gross punting average in history).

Nick >>

Being that we are looking for players who are very likely to make the HOF and not coulda/shoulda possibly longshots, I do not include punters or kick returners in my automatic nominations. I guess I should have quantified that with my opening statements, but I assumed that was a given since no punter or special teamer (short of a Kicker) has ever been elected to the HOF..lol

If Ray Guy can't get in, no Punter ever will IMO...

That being said, if any of the previous voters want to add a vote for Lechler, by all means do. This set is put together by us, for us so if the majority thinks Lechler is a very likely HOFer, then I will submit to PSA.

Jason
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I will not vote any punter until Guy is in.
  • Options

My votes to add.

Steve Tasker- 4 time Semifinalist, 7 Pro Bowls, 0 1st team All-Pro, 4 Super Bowl appearances
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to vote for:

Active

Kevin Williams
    Antonio Gates
    Charles Woodson
    Jason Witten
    Edgerrin James
    Hines Ward

Retired

Roger Craig
    Rickey Jackson
    Steve Tasker

I'd also like to keep Steve At-water.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that you may have one other subtraction if more comes to light in this case. This has been out there for a while, but this article, as well as others, came out today.

Harrison Incident

**Some questionable language content in the above link**
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I'm thinking that you may have one other subtraction if more comes to light in this case. This has been out there for a while, but this article, as well as others, came out today.

Harrison Incident

**Some questionable language content in the above link** >>

This is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. As part of the HOF Voting guidelines, ONLY what the player did ON THE FIELD is to be taken into consideration. That being said, it would be unrealistic to think the voters don't have a conscious. But with a player such as Harrison, whose candidacy is so well defined and deserved, no matter what comes down with his off the field stuff it will not keep him out of the HOF. He might have to wait a couple years like Irvin did, or he could still go first ballot like Lawrence Taylor. But make no mistake, his resume is such that the voters could not in good conscious keep him out because of an off the field issue that is not supposed to be even considered.

This isn't the role model HOF or the good guy HOF. Its a tough game for tough guys...If you've ever played it on any organized level, you know it takes a bit of mental unstableness to go over the middle as a WR to begin with...lol

Jason
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm thinking that you may have one other subtraction if more comes to light in this case. This has been out there for a while, but this article, as well as others, came out today.

Harrison Incident

**Some questionable language content in the above link** >>

This is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. As part of the HOF Voting guidelines, ONLY what the player did ON THE FIELD is to be taken into consideration. That being said, it would be unrealistic to think the voters don't have a conscious. But with a player such as Harrison, whose candidacy is so well defined and deserved, no matter what comes down with his off the field stuff it will not keep him out of the HOF. He might have to wait a couple years like Irvin did, or he could still go first ballot like Lawrence Taylor. But make no mistake, his resume is such that the voters could not in good conscious keep him out because of an off the field issue that is not supposed to be even considered.

This isn't the role model HOF or the good guy HOF. Its a tough game for tough guys...If you've ever played it on any organized level, you know it takes a bit of mental unstableness to go over the middle as a WR to begin with...lol

Jason >>

Well said and I agree. These guys that play the game WE DONT KNOW THEM! Personally as long as it doesnt include hurting children 99.9% of the time I dont care what their personal lives consist of.
  • Options
    My vote is to add the following:
    Kevin Williams
    Antonio Gates
    Charles Woodson
    Roger Craig
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
  • Options
    Interesting vote totals on the newest, 1st time finalists Roger Craig and Rickey Jackson. I voted for Jackson as it seems he is currently being considered the top LB on the board without another LB coming into the mix until Derrick Brooks in 2014...Craig has until 2018 to get elected, but has Emmitt Smith going in this year, then Faulk, Bettis and Martin in the mix next year..Not to mention Terrell Davis still in the mix, although he leapfrogged him this time...It's going to take a big push for Craig to make it, and if he does it most likely will come closer to his final year of eligibility.

I didn't vote for him yet this year because I would like to see him make the finals again next year with Faulk, Bettis and Martin on the ballot. That would say much more to me rather than adding him after a one time showing in the finals only to fall out next year and beyond...

Do you guys voting for Craig think he will get in this year as a first time finalist vs. Rice and Emmitt? If not, when do you think he is very likely to get in? Will he stay in front of Faulk, Bettis and Martin at RB? If the voters put all of these RBs in over the next couple of years, will that make them think they should also include Craig or that maybe they should look at a few of the other stronger candidates at other positions?

Jason
  • Options
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I voted for Craig because he is a finalist this year, and a 2-time semifinalist. Personally I absolutely do not think he is HOF worthy, but I tried to set that aside since he is getting some HOF support these days. I agree that if he gets in, it won't be this year or next. Put him (and Little) in would, IMO, water down the RB talent in the HOF.
  • Options

<< <i>I voted for Craig because he is a finalist this year, and a 2-time semifinalist. Personally I absolutely do not think he is HOF worthy, but I tried to set that aside since he is getting some HOF support these days. I agree that if he gets in, it won't be this year or next. Put him (and Little) in would, IMO, water down the RB talent in the HOF. >>

Agree 100%. As far as being a finalist goes, it is of course a precursor to becoming a HOFer, but certainly does not guarantee it. Especially when it's a one time thing.

Ken Anderson was a 2 time finalist.
    Donnie Shell was a 1 time finalist.

Both are currently modern candidates.

Why wouldn't these guys also belong on this set then? Because well, it's for the same reasoning above, it would water down this set that is supposed to be very likely and/or lock future HOFers with guys who probably won't get in. But so far, it looks as if the majority is voting for inclusive rather than exclusive. And since it doesn't seem that our removal process is working, we may end up with a bunch of players on this set who will never make the HOF. But hey, it's democracy at its finest! lol

Jason
  • Options
    Growing up watching the 49ers dynasty of the '80s & '90s, I have been puzzled why Craig and Randy Cross don't get more consideration from the HOF. Craig has 3 rings and was a major weapon on all 3 SB-winning teams, both running and receiving. His rushing numbers aren't going to be gaudy since the offense was pass-first, but his receiving numbers for an RB of that era have to be at or near the top (of course, his 1,000/1,000 season was just sick). My only votes for inclusion this year are:

Charles Woodson
    Kevin Williams

I vote to remove:

Lester Hayes
    Steve At-water
    Leroy Butler
    Jimmy Smith
    Terrell Davis

I just don't think these guys are getting in.

Jasen
  • Options
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    I think Champ Bailey needs some love !!!
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options

<< <i>I think Champ Bailey needs some love !!! >>

Ummm.Champ Bailey is already part of the set. Thanks.

Jason
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Growing up watching the 49ers dynasty of the '80s & '90s, I have been puzzled why Craig and Randy Cross don't get more consideration from the HOF. Craig has 3 rings and was a major weapon on all 3 SB-winning teams, both running and receiving. His rushing numbers aren't going to be gaudy since the offense was pass-first, but his receiving numbers for an RB of that era have to be at or near the top (of course, his 1,000/1,000 season was just sick). My only votes for inclusion this year are:

Charles Woodson
    Kevin Williams

I vote to remove:

Lester Hayes
    Steve At-water
    Leroy Butler
    Jimmy Smith
    Terrell Davis

I just don't think these guys are getting in.

Jasen >>

I share the same opinion on Craig, but I didn't think the voters would keep him around this long. I was very surprised he got the support to make it to the final 15.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree on Craig but also think he will be bypassed.
    My votes:
    C Woodson
    Williams
    Jackson
    Gates
    lechler Yes we are witnessing the 2nd best punter ever.

no deletions

That story on harrison was shocking...can it be verified? I have never head of a police call.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Running tally...Total voters: 14

Add-
    Charles Woodson-14
    Antonio Gates-13
    Kevin Williams-12
    Roger Craig-8
    Rickey Jackson-7
    Hines Ward-6
    Joe Jacoby-5
    Edgerrin James-5
    Jason Witten-4
    Steve Tasker-3
    Shane Lechler-2
    Chris Samuels-1

Subtract-
    Steve At-water-6
    Lester Hayes-1
    Leroy Butler-1
    Jimmy Smith-1
    Terrell Davis-1
  • Options
    No votes in the last 48, so we will call this one a wrap!

Based on the voting, I will send these addition requests to PSA today:

Charles Woodson-1998 SP Authentic #23
    Antonio Gates-2003 Leaf R&S #132
    Kevin Williams-2003 Topps Chrome #214
    Roger Craig-1984 Topps #353
    Rickey Jackson-1984 Topps #303

Thanks to all who voted.

Jason
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    To add:

Kevin Williams
    Antonio Gates
    Charles Woodson
    Roger Craig
    Rickey Jackson
    Joe Jacoby

To Remove:
    None

Should be up for consideration soon:
    Darren Sharper
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the delay. My additions:

Active-
    Kevin Williams
    Charles Woodson
    Hines Ward

Retired-
    Roger Craig
    Rickey Jackson
    Ken Anderson

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I've updated the votes. Luckily no change to what I sent to PSA earlier today.

Sharper will get an automatic nomination if he gets another Pro Bowl next year.

Running tally...Total voters: 16

Add-
    Charles Woodson-16
    Antonio Gates-14
    Kevin Williams-14
    Roger Craig-10
    Rickey Jackson-9
    Hines Ward-7
    Joe Jacoby-6
    Edgerrin James-5
    Jason Witten-4
    Steve Tasker-3
    Shane Lechler-2
    Ken Anderson-1
    Darren Sharper-1
    Chris Samuels-1

Subtract-
    Steve At-water-6
    Lester Hayes-1
    Leroy Butler-1
    Jimmy Smith-1
    Terrell Davis-1
  • Options
    Not exactly the right topic but anyway...In regards to the SP RC's I didn't think that the registry set cards could be numbered or a special issue...I'm sure this has been addressed but I could not have the discussion.
  • Options

<< <i>Not exactly the right topic but anyway...In regards to the SP RC's I didn't think that the registry set cards could be numbered or a special issue...I'm sure this has been addressed but I could not have the discussion. >>

For this set and the HOF RC set, they can be numbered so long as they are not numbered lower than /999.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Wondered why Steve At-water's name had to include the hyphen, now I know. Reminds me of the joke about the TWA stewardess, who asked a passenger if he wanted TWA coffee or TWA tea. ;-)