Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Assembling a trade - how do you protect yourself (Crossposted)

I have what is, for me, a fairly high-dollar trade of cards in the works. It's with someone I only know via email. What's the best way to protect myself?

Thx
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• Options
    Tagging along on this one. I made alot of trades on Beckett a few years ago but really nothing of value. Value to me is $20.00 and up.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have what is, for me, a fairly high-dollar trade of cards in the works. It's with someone I only know via email. What's the best way to protect myself?

Thx >>

If it involves multiple cards on both ends of the trade, you can consider executing it in stages to lower the risk.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have what is, for me, a fairly high-dollar trade of cards in the works. It's with someone I only know via email. What's the best way to protect myself?

Thx >>

If it involves multiple cards on both ends of the trade, you can consider executing it in stages to lower the risk. >>

Very good idea. Thx
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    You could both send to a trustworthy 3rd party. Once that person has both parties cards they can then send both out.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Get his phone number and have a quick chat. from that at least you can do a reverse people searcha nd verify his address is correct.
    maybe he has the same concerns?

Send with a tracking number so he can't say items never arrived.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling and experience. if the person on the other end is well known it gets easier. i have done deals worth several thousands and have not been burned yet.

unless it is a situation like the 1975 mini's a few years ago most people would not want their repuatation permanently ruined over a few grand of cards. i know i would not.

if you are buying any dealer with sense would want the long term repeat business over the short term fleecing.

about four years ago another collector and i went in to buy a "lot" of cards from mastro. i paid him, he paid mastro and then he had some horrendous issues with the business he owned. i knew he had a lot going on and did not want to bug him. he lived on the east coast i live in the midwest. literally six months later i get a package with my cards.

i guess i am really naive. i think the vast majority of people are honest.

• Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    1. Get all contact info - phone #, address, check PSA sets, ebay name and feedback score

2. Discuss deal on phone if you don't know person

3. Break up large volume deal into smaller groupings (also in case any are lost in mail)

4. Consider well-known, mutually trustworthy 3rd party if very big bucks involved.

5. Only use registered insured mail for items of value - with delivery confirmation and signature confirmation.

5. Consider all the above factors, use common sense, go with your gut. There will never be no risk, so goal is to minimize risk.
    Capecards
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its funny because I have been very lucky dealing outside of Ebay & Pay-Pal, tough call though. I was very suprised a few years ago that a guy in Arizona sent me a Money Order for $875 for some cards I sold offline, he wasnt a member of the forums here but checks the BST from time to time and I never talked with him previous to our transaction- I could have robbed the guy Im sure.

Personally I would take into consideration if he has sets registered, Ebay account and maybe a refference or two. I have sent decent money offline based on a guy having alot of sets registered here, if the person you are dealing with has some high dollar cards or a large collection I tend to think that he is not a thief, however I would be very sceptical sending high dollar cards to a guy who only has a 88 Donruss type set going..

Best of luck.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i have done a big trade on these boards, email back and forth and call each other to work out details and final deal. you need get to the other trader. the guys on this board are a great help

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I got screwed by a guy on this board for about $1000. His local police were no help, worthless. Good luck with your trade.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know how far down stream you are with your deal, but the only way to save your bacon if the deal goes sour IMO is to pay via paypal and a credit (NOT debit) card.

You can always file a claim with your cc company...I think you have 60 days to claim.

GL
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know how far down stream you are with your deal, but the only way to save your bacon if the deal goes sour IMO is to pay via paypal and a credit (NOT debit) card.

You can always file a claim with your cc company...I think you have 60 days to claim.

GL >>

Won't work - this would be a straight swap of cards.

Hmmm.. Unless I suggest that we do it as a sell-sell deal.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't work - this would be a straight swap of cards.

If that's the case, where is your leverage if he gets yours, but you don't get his? Unless I knew the seller/swapper, or he/she had a verifiable track record I'd be about renegotiating the deal to the point I had a plan B...as in if I get screwed, you get screwed. Short of that, nix da deal. Surely you have other options to get the cards you are seeking.

• Options

<< <i>Won't work - this would be a straight swap of cards.

If that's the case, where is your leverage if he gets yours, but you don't get his? Unless I knew the seller/swapper, or he/she had a verifiable track record I'd be about renegotiating the deal to the point I had a plan B...as in if I get screwed, you get screwed. Short of that, nix da deal. Surely you have other options to get the cards you are seeking. >>

That's pretty much my thought, hence making this post in the first place. I got lots of ideas of how to deal with a trusted boarder, but that's the easy trade to do. :-)
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Did he miraculously happen to have just the cards you needed? Or did you pick over some cards he listed?
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would do the deal in small stages, starting with the cheaper stuff. But I would need at least the get his addy and phone number and talk to him on the phone about how you want to handle it.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)