Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Grading: Obverse vs. Reverse

Is there a general rule about grading with respect to how much weight the obverse is given vs. how important the reverse grades out?

Is it 50/50 weighting, or some other ratio between obverse and reverse?

Or is it dependent on coin type and variety?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    In most series the obverse decides the grade with the reverse usually only bringing the grade down if it has problems and if it's extra nice it might give the higher grade to a between grade coin.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Generally speaking, the obverse is weighted quite a bit more heavily than the reverse.

Here are some generalized hypothetical examples.....

A coin which is a 65/64 might very well receive a 65. But a coin which is a 64/65 (or even 64/66) wont.

A coin which is a 66/64 might even receive a 66, but if not, a 65. But a coin which is a 64/66 will probably grade MS64, and not MS65.
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Thanks a bunch to everyone for their insight!

This gives me a much better understanding...

Cheers,
    Jeff
  • Options
    I would say 60% obverse and 40% reverse.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One great example for this would be an MS63 Morgan. You can find some that have lots of obverse chatter, hence the grade, but flawless reverses that alone would grade 66-68. But, it's the face that counts.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark gives good general guidelines for this, but if you are asking about how the TPGs grade coins then you must also consider that there will be instances where a superb reverse will carry a not-so-superb obverse up the grading scale.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>One great example for this would be an MS63 Morgan. You can find some that have lots of obverse chatter, hence the grade, but flawless reverses that alone would grade 66-68. But, it's the face that counts. >>

Correctly Stated..
  • Options
    butter face applies to coins as well.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>butter face applies to coins as well. >>

Or in my collecting habits it doesn't really matter. image

imageimage

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if there are any new opinions...
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think Mark has the idea down to a understandable set of ratios.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if there are any new opinions... >>

If you are talking about Mint State coins, what Mark said holds true for just about everything.
    On the other hand, if you are talking about low grade pieces from the 1700's, that is a
    totally different thing. A good example of this would be a Chain cent that grades Fair or
    Poor on the obverse, but the chain is reasonably sharp. Such a coin may sell for About Good
    money, despite the obverse. There are many other examples.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One great example for this would be an MS63 Morgan. You can find some that have lots of obverse chatter, hence the grade, but flawless reverses that alone would grade 66-68. But, it's the face that counts. >>

It is what is known as the "money side" of the coin.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess when someone asks about how to grade coins on a host website, we're all to assume he's talking about how PCGS grades coins. image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭
    Is the heavier weighting of the obverse an American thing? In Canadian/world grading I was under the impression that the sides were pretty equal, if you had a MSXX/YY coin, it would be graded by the lowest side, whichever that is.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very lopsided.

Five or six years ago, for instance, I encountered a PCGS slabbed 1901 (P) Morgan in AU58 -- a pretty scarce creature -- with a *big* rim nick on the reverse. More like what I'd call a rim cut in fact. Were that on the obverse, it would never have slabbed.
    mirabela
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen plenty of coins in holders where you would swear the grade was based on the reverse side. Meaning, for Jefferson nickel, the obverse working die, the hammer side, would always show die fatigue before the reverse working die. In other words, a coin can have a perfectly struck reverse while the obverse details are mush but yet this is what we find sitting in a MS66 or an occasional MS67 holder. And we're suppose to base the quality of coins we collect on that kind of thinking?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>Generally speaking, the obverse is weighted quite a bit more heavily than the reverse.

Here are some generalized hypothetical examples.....

A coin which is a 65/64 might very well receive a 65. But a coin which is a 64/65 (or even 64/66) wont.

A coin which is a 66/64 might even receive a 66, but if not, a 65. But a coin which is a 64/66 will probably grade MS64, and not MS65. >>

HUH?
    Brilliant thinking!!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    On a lot of coins, there's a lot of detail on the reverse, so for some reason they don't get nicked up as much as the relatively smoother portrait on the obverse (or so I've read ... never have understood the physics of that). Therefore, lots of Morgans have extremely clean reverses.
    Let's try not to get upset.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file