Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1923-S Cent PCGS MS65RED Available

This is just an incredibly rare coin. I have been asked to liquidate this coin by a collector who wants to work on another series. These don't come around often.

You can call me at 800-474-6960 to make an offer which I will pass on to the owner. I will not be making anything on this as I will make my money on the items he purchases so what you offer is what he will get.

I think we are looking in the $30,000 to $40,000 range. I have not asked him what he wants for it or what he paid, that really isn't important. What is important is what you would pay and if he will accept your offer. I have the coin in my possession and can describe it or possible send photos.

I can be emailed at omegapm@aol.com
Joe

Comments

• Options
    What's important are the pictures (you should post them here) and the lowest price he is willing to accept. image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll agree that in 65RD, this is one of the toughest coins in the whole series. Tougher than a 64RD 26-s, tougher than a 65RD 24-d, and just about anything in the teens. However, I'm going to argue here that "just another 65RD 23-s" with average details and color is probably only worth $12K - $15K in today's market, while a real stunner could be worth far, far more. Pictures, please.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see some pics...
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last two from the Heritage archives sold in Feb. 2009 for $16k with the juice and Dec. 2008 for $19k with the juice.
  • Options

I agree with some of the comments posted so far.
    A coin that had been off the market for a number of years, was reasonably struck for a 23-S, and had nice eye appeal would get me into the 20K+ range pretty quick. I certainly would not pay 30K for any of the coins recently on the market.

Jack

• Options
    Not only are sharp closeups vital, but sharp slab photos as well. I'd like to know precisely WHEN this coin was graded. Very tough date, but stable color for at least 12-18 months is vital here. As far as the price, your friend can ask whatever he wants. But, if he's too greedy in the current environment, sans a color gurantee, caution should hardly be thrown to the wind!

Ira

Out of the hospital now and getting crankier by the day......
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    Ira! Nice to hear from you. As usual, your observations are spot on. Glad the hospital stay left you with your wits image
  • Options
    Hi Matt,

Only left with half of my wits!

The rehab nurse shows up to today, wound nurse yesterday. I have grown great respect for these specialized angels of mercy. They tell you much about your situation that the doctors never discuss.

Ira
    getting more ornery by the hour.
  • Options
    Unless this coin is simply a KNOCKOUT with monster color 30 to 40 k is just not going to happen.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to those photos too ... what a tough date!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I PM'd with the OP and he said this was the Jack Lee coin.
    Doug
  • Options
    Top is the Heritage photo of the Walsh coin from the Lee estate. Bottom is the coin with the Lee pedigree. Both were sold in late 2008. Top (photo) price realized was $16100. Bottom (photo) price realized was $19550. Both include BP. How's that for transparency?

edited to add: oops! the Walsh coin sold in Feb 2009. Amazingly, the exact same coin sold in Aug 2006 for $28750.
  • Options

<< <i>Top is the Heritage photo of the Walsh coin from the Lee estate. Bottom is the coin with the Lee pedigree. Both were sold in late 2008. Top (photo) price realized was $16100. Bottom (photo) price realized was $19550. Both include BP. How's that for transparency?

edited to add: oops! the Walsh coin sold in Feb 2009. Amazingly, the exact same coin sold in Aug 2006 for $28750.
    image >>

Good sleuthing, Matt. Clearly the Walsh coin is quite margin with respect to color and grade. It's really a 64 RB in my opinion, and not a nice one at that. The Lee coin, while not as sharp, has better color but a discoloration string at the top reverse. Probably an averge MS-65 Rd. Jack had purchased quite few better dates that had been recolored and many were turning funky colors when I saw them early in 2008. I'd surely like an accurate photo of the coin as it looks NOW. a photo of the obverse showing the full obv slab would be useful.

These opinions are my own and others may not agree.

Ira
  • Options

I'm with you, Ira. A recent image would be nice. If I had to pick between the two coins, I would pick the bottom one, but the smudge at the top of the reverse looks like someone tried to work a carbon spot or something there.

Jack

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is just an incredibly rare coin. I have been asked to liquidate this coin by a collector who wants to work on another series. These don't come around often.

You can call me at 800-474-6960 to make an offer which I will pass on to the owner. I will not be making anything on this as I will make my money on the items he purchases so what you offer is what he will get.

I think we are looking in the $30,000 to $40,000 range. I have not asked him what he wants for it or what he paid, that really isn't important. What is important is what you would pay and if he will accept your offer. I have the coin in my possession and can describe it or possible send photos.

I can be emailed at omegapm@aol.com
    Joe >>

Joe,
    I hope this has been a VERY educational thread for you. You made a special effort to sign up on this forum and make your first and only post and yet you didn't feel a need or desire to show us what your client's coin looks like. Good luck with the sale.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Joe,

I'm curious about the avatar you have chosen for your maiden voyage on this forum. It appears to be a photo of the coin dealer who advertised as Blue Moon coins on eBay. This was the guy who would advertise $30,000 worth of certified coins at a starting bids of $2000 with no reserve. Of course, all coins were slabbed by companies such as but not limited to Star Grading Co, Numistrust, Accugrade and so forth. The $30,000 value was derived by taking the grade on the holder and using PCGS price guide prices. Anyone remember that Blue Moon guy?

Not the wisest choice of avatars in my opinion. I hope you are not a one trick pony, Joe.

I almost forgot Joe ! Where do I send my bank draft for $35,000? I love to buy pigs in a poke. No photo? No problemo. I trust you.

Ira
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Joe,

I'm curious about the avatar you have chosen for your maiden voyage on this forum. It appears to be a photo of the coin dealer who advertised as Blue Moon coins on eBay. This was the guy who would advertise $30,000 worth of certified coins at a starting bids of $2000 with no reserve. Of course, all coins were slabbed by companies such as but not limited to Star Grading Co, Numistrust, Accugrade and so forth. The $30,000 value was derived by taking the grade on the holder and using PCGS price guide prices. Anyone remember that Blue Moon guy?

Not the wisest choice of avatars in my opinion. I hope you are not a one trick pony, Joe.

I almost forgot Joe ! Where do I send my bank draft for $35,000? I love to buy pigs in a poke. No photo? No problemo. I trust you.

Ira >>

Ira, that's a rude way to treat a new poster. Of course images would have been preferred. But a phone number and email address were provided by the OP, and mention was made of the possibility of sending photos. Not everyone is familiar with forum protocol here.
  • Options
    Rude? I certainly hope so. This guy postulates that he's selling a coin for someone else but offers no current photos of the high priced 1923-S he supposedly has available. Moreover he's solicting offers! I don't care that he didn't list it on BST forum. That's his break with protocol. To add insult to injury he uses the photo of that Blue Moon bozo as his avatar.

He's not just ANY newcomer to this forum. He's an incredibly naive newcomer. A one trick pony. I'm just a grumpy old guy but I don't suffer fools very well. I stand by what I've posted.

Ira
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere along the line, he did provide Doug with the honest information of where the coin originated from. Let's not forget that.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think photos were necessary... a post was made saying it was the Lee coin and the Lee coin is photoed by Heritage here in this thread. Also, I'm sure many of us have bought from dealers who don't even have photos to email us upon request, so that shouldn't be a big issue.
  • Options
    Jack Lee bought many if not most of his better date coins from Heritage Auctions. Many of the pieces in his collection, when they were sold without reserve in Nov 2008 were already changing color in the holders. Many here know this is factual. I'd like to see that coin As it appears now, not 18 months ago. We all know why.

Ira
  • Options
    "Also, I'm sure many of us have bought from dealers who don't even have photos to email us upon request, so that shouldn't be a big issue. " For $30,000 coins?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Also, I'm sure many of us have bought from dealers who don't even have photos to email us upon request, so that shouldn't be a big issue. " For $30,000 coins?
    image >>

Well why not, presuming that the deal isn't final until you receive the coin and have decided it's a keeper. But yeah, a true sight-unseen deal wouldn't be for me either.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just a grumpy old guy >>

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pic is worth more than a thousand words in my opinion... For a high $$$ coin, a current pic is required if you want my $$$.