Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Hoping to get opinions on 1953 Bowman vs. 1941 Play Ball

Hey all, hoping you'll give me some opinions here. The 1935 Goudey set is the main one I'm trying to build, about 1/3 of the way done. The cards for this set in mid-high grade are few and far between so there's a lot of waiting. Because of that, I've been thinking of what other set I'd like to build while I wait for the Goudey's to come up. I had just started a 1941 Play Ball set but am having second thoughts, cause I really like the 1953 Bowman Color set as well. Planning on building this set in PSA 7, with some 6's as fillers and a few nice 8OC's as well. Both sets book for the same amount in 7 grade. Which of the two would you rather do (have) and why? I like the Play Ball set because it has Ted Williams (my favorite player), is relatively scarce especially in high grade, the pastel colors, it's a fairly small set, and competition is pretty low right now. I like the Bowman set for the incredible color photos that take you back to 1953, the Reese card in amazing, scarce in high grade but a good number overall graded, has Mantle, very popular, different group of players than the 35 Goudey set, but the competition is pretty heavy. Thanks for any and all opinions.

Comments

• I'll place my vote for the '53 Bowman color set. This set is amazing for the photographic quality. And with just 160 cards to complete it, it wouldn't be too overwhelming.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    You really couldn't go wrong with either one. I personally like the 1941 Play Ball set better as an investment. The 1953 Bowman set was 40 years ahead of its time, however.
  • bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭

<< <i>You really couldn't go wrong with either one. I personally like the 1941 Play Ball set better as an investment. The 1953 Bowman set was 40 years ahead of its time, however. >>

Why do you say that, Vargha?
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I assume you are asking about my investment opinion. Since we are talking PSA 7 or better, there is a different dynamic than PSA 8 or better in terms of investment strategies. Also, I cannot predict the future (and if you read my thread about Miss Cleo on the Open Forum, you will find that I am not the only one with this problem).

First of all, the 1941 set is only 72 cards, making the average card worth about 2.3 times that of its 1953 counterpart. The 1941 Play Ball's have a total of 1,046 PSA 7's, 883 PSA 8's and 48 PSA 9's for an average of 15 PSA 7's, 12 PSA 8's and 1 PSA 9 per card. The 1953 Bowman set, on the other hand, has 4721 PSA 7's, 4178 PSA 8's and 260 PSA 9's for an average of 30 PSA 7's, 26 PSA 8's and 2 PSA 9's per card. It is twice as plentiful in all three grades and therefore easier to obtain. That is why I feel the 1941 set is a better investment. They are both popular sets as well, which is another factor in the equation since scarcity alone is not the sole determinant in value. That being said, you would do well owning a complete set of either one in PSA 7 or better.
  • David,

Numbers alone do not give the whole picture. Whereas The Bowman set is 2.3 times more available, it is in my humble opinion, is a far more attractive set which would cause a larger number of collectors to become interested in collecting it. Were five times the number of collectors (which is not an unreasonable supposition) to seriously pursue the Bowmans, then there would be twice the market pressure upon the cards available in the marketplace.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    BOSOX - Why not start collecting both? Try picking up some 7's here and there (that are priced right), then after awhile see which one YOU prefer. You can always re-sell them on eBay and if you bought them right, you might make a couple of bucks for your effort. Or if you can't decide which one to dispose of, you really can't go wrong in collecting both. I was working on the '41 Play Ball set in 7's and 8's about 2 years ago. Had about 6o of the 72 incl Dimaggio (all 3 as a matter of fact) & Ted Williams. After awhile, it was hard to add to the set, the Hall Of Famers & name players (about 1/3 of the set) were easy enough (although I never got Bill Dickey) but some of the high # commons were quite the challenge.
    So if you shoot for both sets, you will find many down times in locating cards, so you may concentrate on the 1 set while nothing is being offered on the another. - They are both great classic sets and you can't lose any way you go. Good luck and have fun!...jayimage
  • You really don't want to collect the '53 Bowman set, especially if you are going after any 6's image

In case my Jedi mind trick did not work, I'm sure you can guess what my opinion would be.

(edit: left out a word)
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • I think that the 53 Bowman Color set is amazing set...1941 is also very nice...I would say that it would be harder to find nice 41 PB's than it is to find good looking 53 BC 6's or 7's so I think it depends on how quick you want to finish the set.....
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    You've outlined the basic pros and cons for each set: size, availability, player checklist, competition. If those factors balance out in your mind, and money and time is no object, but you only want to collect one set, then all you are left to decide is which set you think has better aesthetics, and the differences there are obvious. If, as others have posted, it's a question of investment, well, I think more people want 53B than want 41PB, and always will, so 53B probably has the edge. But I have always thought pre-WWII cards are undervalued in general, and the 41PB set in particular, at least in raw form, so that could shift in the long term. If it was me, and it kind of is because I've been slooowly building a 41PB set for years, I'd go with the set with Williams and Joe D.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • I can definitely help with this. I flipped a coin for you and it landed on it's edge which means you should collect 72 topps. Good luck.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I really appreciate all the replies. I'm going to collect a dozen or so of both and see which does it for me. If that doesn't work and I'm still divided, I'll let my wife pick which she likes best. She'll probably own half of them someday anyways image
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    BOSOX - I'm honored! You chose my suggestion...image Have fun & enjoy...jay