Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 OPC hockey Checklist #111 popularity

So why is this card considered the grandaddy of OPC hockey checklists??

It's not the oldest and actually is one of the more common in high grade of the early OPC set checklists (1968 thru 1972). So why the high price? It typically will sell from anywhere between $1000 and $1500 in PSA 8, sometimes more. Sure it's from a popular set, but so is the other '71 checklist #264, the last card in the set. And it will sell for half what #111 goes for or less.

Comments

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Very simple. HYPE. Nothing else. Like you pointed out, there are enough to go around. #264 should recieve the attention.
  • Agreed. 100% hype. Don't let anyone fool you. Several more difficult checklists to find than that one. Popular set - beautiful set in fact - but not hard to find. Dave
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The reason the first series is in more demand than the second is because MOST collectors marked their 1st Series Checklist and didn't collect the second series when it was issued. When I was heavily into hockey cards in the late 1980's, the 2nd Series Checklist was much more readily available unchecked than the 1st Series.
  • My understanding is that the second series was also offered in vending box format, and not the first.
    I can't vouch for that as absolutely true, though. My personal experience is that the first series is much less plentiful than the second series, and tend to be in somewhat lesser grade.