Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA Authentic, what's that all about

What does a PSA grade of authentic mean?

It seems like it's possible to get cards graded as just "authentic", but then maybe if they've been altered or something they show up as authentic as well?

I recently participated in the navarro's bulk submission and one of my cards came back as authentic, I took that to mean that it was altered?

If you're buying a graded card is there any way to tell why a card is graded authentic?

Comments

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

PSA Grading Standards

N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the feeling that you might be talking about PSA/DNA slabbed autographs.

PSA "Authentic" is not the same as PSA/DNA "Authentic". A PSA "Authentic" (meaning the card is "Authentic"), means there is something wrong with the card, keeping it from obtaining a numerical grade (as defined in Storm888's post above).

A PSA/DNA "Authentic", means that the autograph is authentic. It has no bearing on the card itself. The card might qualify for a numerical grade, but the submitter only sent in the card for authentication of the autograph.

Steve
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    What was the card? Hand cut perhaps?
  • Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the crappy picture, my girlfriend has my camera, I'll take a better picture when I get it back.

Anyhow, I have 3 cards:
    Rollie Fingers PSA/DNA Certified "Authentic"
    Willy Mccovey PSA/DNA Certified "Authentic"
    Rube Marquard PSA/DNA Certified "1.5"

So the Rollie Fingers and Marquard I sent in to get authenticated, the Fingers came back as "Authentic" instead of with a number grade. What I'm not sure about is the McCovey. If it has a grade of Authentic does this mean it was necessiarly altered/etc in some way? Or is it possible that someone was trying to get grading done for less and thus it just got an "Authentic" grade? Is it possible to just request an authentic grade instead of a number grade? If so is there a way to tell the difference from PSA or something?

It seems like maybe the higher serial numbered cards are always graded as authentic and lower serial numbers are graded, and then can be deemed authentic if they were altered/etc?

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry for the crappy picture, my girlfriend has my camera, I'll take a better picture when I get it back.

Anyhow, I have 3 cards:
    Rollie Fingers PSA/DNA Certified "Authentic"
    Willy Mccovey PSA/DNA Certified "Authentic"
    Rube Marquard PSA/DNA Certified "1.5"

So the Rollie Fingers and Marquard I sent in to get authenticated, the Fingers came back as "Authentic" instead of with a number grade. What I'm not sure about is the McCovey. If it has a grade of Authentic does this mean it was necessiarly altered/etc in some way? Or is it possible that someone was trying to get grading done for less and thus it just got an "Authentic" grade? Is it possible to just request an authentic grade instead of a number grade? If so is there a way to tell the difference from PSA or something?

It seems like maybe the higher serial numbered cards are always graded as authentic and lower serial numbers are graded, and then can be deemed authentic if they were altered/etc?

image >>

Alex,

On my group sub, if the Fingers got an "authentic", it means that in the opinion of the grader that day, they believed the card itself had an alteration or defect of some sort that would not qualify it for a number grade. This is because I asked for grades, not just for authentics.

On the McCovey, you would have to know whether or not the original submitter asked for them to assign grades or just to authenticate. Just because it is in an "authentic" slab, you cannot assume that it's been altered. I used to send all my submissions in for "authentic" only, because to me, I trust my own eyes to tell me it's pretty, more than I did for them to assign a number to it. However, after having about 150 cards "authentic" only, I found out when I went to sell or trade a couple, that everyone had the misguided impression that since it wasn't in a number slab, that something was wrong with it and that's not correct.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    "On the McCovey, you would have to know whether or not the original submitter asked for them to assign grades or just to authenticate."

So the only way is to ask the original submitter? PSA/DNA doesn't track or provide this info?

On the mccovey when I do a # certification I see:

ITEM INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 90598239
    Year: 1960
    Brand: TOPPS
    Card Number: 316
    Player: WILLIE McCOVEY
    Variety: ALL-STAR ROOKIE
    Grade: N0: AUTHENTIC

Does the N0: before Authentic mean altered?

What do your cards say that were submitted to be graded as "Authentic"?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"On the McCovey, you would have to know whether or not the original submitter asked for them to assign grades or just to authenticate."

So the only way is to ask the original submitter? PSA/DNA doesn't track or provide this info?

On the mccovey when I do a # certification I see:

ITEM INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 90598239
    Year: 1960
    Brand: TOPPS
    Card Number: 316
    Player: WILLIE McCOVEY
    Variety: ALL-STAR ROOKIE
    Grade: N0: AUTHENTIC

Does the N0: before Authentic mean altered?

What do your cards say that were submitted to be graded as "Authentic"? >>

No, the NO: before Authentic does not mean altered, that's just how PSA shows the results.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs