Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Best way to weight a set?

I was wondering thoughts on the best way to weight a set, specifically 1977 Topps. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    KURT - Sets weights are given from 1 to 10. So take the highest $ card (based on SMR) and assess that a 10, and the commons at 1, and work your way up giving a point # based on value. If you figure a $30.00 card should be worth say a 5, make sure all $30.00 cards are worth the same thing. You will also find that there are many stars not listed in the SMR, so they shouldn't be given a common 1 value. These include HOF'ers like Rollie Fingers, Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins and so on...jay
  • Options
    I forgot to say thanks...would a Beckett price list be better as this set obviously shows a very small SMR presence due to lack of interest?
  • Options
    Kurt -
    Combine the SMR, Becketts, and Tuff Stuff and you will be sure to get all the guys that "book". Likely these are the desirables.(2+). I would then add as a 2 any HOF'er in the set that does not appear in any of these three publications. All others weight a 1.
    I would folllow previous instructions here; weighting based on card value for the major stars.
    RayB69 Topps

By the way I do have a small vested interest in your effort - my 77 set in underway.
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Great guys thanks for the help - Ray good luck on your 77's (I am finding this very frustrating so far image) I will truck on til the end....
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Use an annual price guide that gives prices individually for each card in the set. There are a lot of semistar and minor star cards that will slip by you otherwise (unless you know the players from that era inside and out). Don't be afraid to give some people a 1.5 or 2.5 weight.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I will certainly take an annual into account. I want to make the most accurate weights. Thanks for the help everyone as the "sportscards" board has gone insane it seems with all these nut cases, talking to themselves?
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I generally step on the bathroom scale holding my set and then re-weigh myself without it. The difference between the two numbers is what I use. Seventy two set is currently 54 pounds...image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    LOL