Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

I was 3/4 correct about the Fleer card. Here is their reply.

I have made the article, but here is the response I got back from Fleer's Product Manager.

<< <i>"Dear Sir,

I have just looked at a few Edgar Martinez cards from Final Cut (Genuine 2001) and deduced the following:

1. You are correct to assert that the swatches you are seeing are NOT a batting glove. It appears this is an "error" card in which batting glove was supposed to be affixed and instead, game-used jersey was. I assure you that this is an honest error made at the stage when the memorabilia is adhered to the card

2. All Fleer materials are game-used and we have adequate paperwork to back this up.

3. This is the first we have heard of this particular error card and we apologize for our mistake. However, as a collector, I'm sure you are aware, there are bound to be problems from time to time. Fleer makes every effort to assure our cards are accurate and it is unfortunate when the occasional mishap occurs and results in confusion.

4. Your contention that the jersey was a spring training jersey is incorrect.

5. The jersey was NOT from 2001, but was from 2000.

We regret your unhappiness with Fleer as well as your stance on no longer collecting game-used cards. We make every effort to comply with and exceed our licensors' standards for authentication and documentation of game-worn materials. This was simply an error card and was not an effort to mislead our customers.

We hope you can forgive our mistake and apologize for your displeasure.

Sincerely,

Mike Shtino
Fleer Trading Cards
Product Manager, Fleer Genuine Baseball 2001"
>>

So, that means all 130 cards produced are errors. They inserted game used jersey patches instead of game used gloves. I wonder where those glove patches ended up. So, instead of a common printing error, it's a swatch error. They seriously screwed up.

Comments

• Options
    well... how big of a deal is the swatch error? I mean personally I'd rather have a Jersey instead of batting glove, and the card will stay the same (if not go up)... they say it's GU and an actuall jersey, so u have to take their word

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>well... how big of a deal is the swatch error? I mean personally I'd rather have a Jersey instead of batting glove, and the card will stay the same (if not go up)... they say it's GU and an actuall jersey, so u have to take their word

Jeff >>

It's not all that big until you read the back.

"This certificate expressly warrants the authencity of the piece of game-worn batting glove on the front of this card.

Lloyd Pawlak
    Senior Vice President
    Fleer/Skybox International LP"

That's where the biggest problem comes up.
  • Options
    Makes you wonder how many other mistakes they have made and No one as perceptive as you caught on. Sort of pisses me off this is your hjob why can't you do it right not real hard to put a piece of Glove on the right card and not give me something that is Wrong. WOW way to go Fleer.

TIM
    I am looking For marvin Harrison everything I do not have and McNabb RCs, GU and Autos. Anything with Chuck Bednarick(old Eagle). I am aslo looking for all older eagles, phillies and flyers RCS also some older sixers RCs and base cards. I will take any eagles cards and I would love to get John LeClair cards. Keep trading

REFS: BIGGJC,co1lector, THITO48
  • Options
    Law suit, law suit, law suit. Or send me some free cards. I would meke them send everyone on CU a free game used card. That'll make you feel better. Okay, maybe not you but, I sure would feel better!!!
    I collect Yankees (especially Derek Jeter) and autographed sports memorabilia from any sports. Will pay cash or trade.
    Refs. Jason, CoachVinny, Colt, Baird34,DpSports,CardnYou, Ryano and many many more
  • Options
    The reason no one caught this earlier is because only 130 were packed out. Since it isn't a rookie card, no one paid close attention. Since it was Edgar Martinez (even though I this he is one of the best DH's), no one really went after this card. When most people get game used, they rarely read what's on the card. They look at the patch and think of how much money they can get for it.I've e-mailed the story to 4 editors at Beckett. Wonder if they will mention something about it. Going to definately get my 3 graded to have them incased and list them as errors.