Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What 2009 coin mistakes will you try not to make in 2010?

When buying coins for resale, I will try not to underestimate the NGC, Anacs, price discount, relative to PCGS holdered coins. I got smoked on a few last year.

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    When you buy slooowww, you lose money slooowww!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>When you buy slooowww, you lose money slooowww! >>

True enough Bear, but I do this for a living and need to keep inventory moving.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more NGC or raw coins. PCGS only.

I hate sounding like a fanboy, but I sure have learned about resale values when it comes to numismatics. PCGS graded coins always retain or gain value - all things being equal. I have heard "buy the coin and not the holder" over and over, but I'm sorry that just doesn't work anymore. I buy the coin AND the holder, and I buy coins as both a hobby and an investment. I know that I can sell PCGS slabbed coins for close to what I paid, and sometimes more. So, no more non-PCGS coins for me for the most part. I do still buy an occasional raw coin but it's rare.
  • Options
    "I know that I can sell PCGS slabbed coins for close to what I paid, and sometimes more." Even RD Lincolns? image
  • Options
    Not to "settle" for a mediocre coin, just because "that particular date/variety/whatever doesn't come around too often".

Must learn to be more patient.

Wait for the good ones. They'll come along eventually.
  • Options
    I have to learn to research before purchasing anything. 99% of the time if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

Like others said patience is the key.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I didn't make a whole lot of mistakes in regards to numismatics in 2009, fortunately! (Or at least I don't see them as mistakes)
    I purchased what I wanted, liked, and what coins I felt would fit nicely in my collection, and either I got lucky or I have a much better eye, and patience, for decent material. (Which I would definitely say is the truth)

What I would like to improve upon in 2010 is cherrypicking! This may seem sly and shrewd to some, but for others, like myself, it's an exciting aspect of this hobby, and I didn't have much luck with it in 2009; although I did get some great deals on coins!
  • Options
    I will try to be more patient, although at my age, patience can be detrimental. image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    I bought a couple of coins off Ebay with not so clear pictures. One was a certified coin with an inventory sticker from a major dealer, the other a few coins in a capital holder. In both cases, the coins were marginal, perhaps barely worth the price paid. Despite others having success on the fuzzy pic carousel, I think I am done with the game. Both purchases were also not on the primary want list, so the focus issue is another one that I resolve to do better with in 2010.

So no more fuzzy pics, and more focus. Ha.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file