Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver coins in pioneer milk!?!

Read today that US pioneers used to put silver coins (as if there were any other kind beside copper) in their milk to keep it from spoiling. The article stated that silver ions have an antibacterial effect. Is this TRUE!? Does this explain why some coins have a milky look to them?image

Comments

• Options
    Yes, silver does have an antibacterial effect.

Read up on colloidal silver.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    It's just an old wives' tale.
    They thought it would keep evil spirits out since silver coins are round and white like the moon, which they thought was protective. Sympathetic magic.
  • Options
    are you trying to explain-away ricko's "problem"??? image

Happy New Year, y'all.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, silver does have an antibacterial effect.

Read up on colloidal silver. >>

True. I don't know if this is the reason they did it though.
    Never heard that before. Thanks for teaching me something.
  • Options
    The germ theory of disease wasn't popularized until long after the pioneers were churning butter out in the old west.
    And coin silver isn't anti-bacterial, in any case.
    No, these were dumb, superstitious hicks.
  • Options
    copper and silver coatings on regular daily touch items are becomming popular in hospitals.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is a heavy metal and generally very bad for your health. But, in minute
    quantities it is a damn good anti-bacterial. Much research has been done with
    silver and many drugs have been proposed and if they can get the FDA to approve
    testing there will be another silver boom!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    A Brief History of The Health Support Uses of Silver

For thousands of years silver has been used as a healing and anti-bacterial agent by civilizations throughout the world. Its medical, preservative and restorative powers can be traced as far back as the ancient Greek and Roman Empires. Long before the development of modern pharmaceuticals, silver was employed as a germicide and antibiotic.

Consider these interesting facts:
    The Greeks used silver vessels to keep water and other liquids fresh. The writings of Herodotus, the Greek philosopher and historian, date the use of silver to before the birth of Christ.
    The Roman Empire stored wine in silver urns to prevent spoilage.
    The use of silver is mentioned in ancient Egyptian writings.
    In the Middle Ages, silverware protected the wealthy from the full brunt of the plague.
    Before the advent of modern germicides and antibiotics, it was known that disease-causing pathogens could not survive in the presence of silver. Consequently, silver was used in dishware, drinking vessels and eating utensils.
    In particular, the wealthy stored and ate their food from silver vessels to keep bacteria from growing.
    The Chinese emperors and their courts ate with silver chopsticks.
    The Druids have left evidence of their use of silver.
    Settlers in the Australian outback suspend silverware in their water tanks to retard spoilage.
    Pioneers trekking across the American West found that if they placed silver or copper coins in their casks of drinking water, it kept the water safe from bacteria, algae, etc.
    All along the frontier, silver dollars were put in milk to keep it fresh. Some of us remember our grandparents doing the same.
    Silver leaf was used to combat infection in wounds sustained by troops during World War I.
    Prior to the introduction of antibiotics, Colloidal Silver was used widely in hospitals and has been known as a bactericide for at least 1200 years.
    In the early 1800s, doctors used silver sutures in surgical wounds with very successful results.
    In Ayurvedic medicine, silver is used in small amounts as a tonic, elixir or rejuvenative agent for patients debilitated by age or disease.
  • Options
    Odd thing is that many folks are still highly superstitious and anti-science.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Odd thing is that many folks are still highly superstitious and anti-science. >>

Especially, coerced climate change science.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I suppose you coulda put crushed garlic cloves in the milk.

They are antibacterial and bacteriostatic. Might make the

milk just a tad strong though.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Odd thing is that many folks are still highly superstitious and anti-science. >>

Especially, coerced climate change sceince. >>

Heh!, if ya can't spell science, you might not want to comment on it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Heh!, if ya can't spell science, you might not want to comment on it. >>

Sceince may be a problem for me but i know how to spell PUTZ!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Heh!, if ya can't spell science, you might not want to comment on it. >>

Sceince may be a problem for me but i know how to spell PUTZ! >>

Kinda goes with the territory, so it's no surprise.
    Here's to an enlightened 2010!
  • Options

And some are still willfully blind and lost...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options

<< <i>copper and silver coatings on regular daily touch items are becomming popular in hospitals. >>

Its true that copper has anti germ properties, for that reason hospitals are installing copper coated door knobs & push plates. but have not heard silver has any of the same properties.
  • Options
    What did they do about the bacteria on the silver coins they put in their milk?
  • Options

<< <i>What did they do about the bacteria on the silver coins they put in their milk? >>

It gave them the runs.
  • Options

<< <i>The germ theory of disease wasn't popularized until long after the pioneers were churning butter out in the old west.
    No, these were dumb, superstitious hicks. >>

I'll bet you were related to many of them!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The germ theory of disease wasn't popularized until long after the pioneers were churning butter out in the old west.
    No, these were dumb, superstitious hicks. >>

I'll bet you were related to many of them!!!image >>

Entirely possible, yet irrevelant. My family name stems from the cattle rustling border clans in Scotland, however I've only traced it back in the US to a guy who likely founded a Masonic lodge in Ohio shortly after it became a state. Fortunately, I was born at a time when JFK was confident enough to predict a moon landing by the end of that decade. That endeavor was only possible by doing away with superstitions and focusing on applied science.
    Or you can call me a monkey's uncle.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not crazy about "naked" assertions stating coin silver does not have antibacterial properties - is this based on controlled studies?

As an anecdote, Silvadene is a topical applicant used on full thickness burns in hospitals to clean wounds of purulence; the active ingredient? Silver, and in relatively low concentration at that. 90% coin silver (and alloyed with copper at that) would likely have antibacterial properties but could be readily tested with a set of Petrie dishes. This would be a classic Junior High/Middle School science experiment, and I may even have done it but more years ago than I can remember.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I'm obviously a shill for the govt/AMA conspiracy to keep people sick.
    Now on to the healing properties of three white cat hairs.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm obviously a shill for the govt/AMA conspiracy to keep people sick.
    Now on to the healing properties of three white cat hairs. >>

Hangover??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm obviously a shill for the govt/AMA conspiracy to keep people sick.
    Now on to the healing properties of three white cat hairs. >>

Hangover?? >>

Heh! No, just a champagne toast last night.
    What some folks are here is hung-up. It's a simple fact that silver coins in milk was nothing more than a superstition, based on old wives' tales. Anything more is like hunting around to find scientific examples of parthenogenesis to explain the Virgin Birth.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317564,00.html

He also moved to my hometown.
    image >>

Looks like Grady from Sanford and Son.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file